DanielR Profile picture
Jun 5 14 tweets 7 min read Read on X
1. The Loaf (Bukhanka), a van designed in 1965, has become russia’s main battlefield transport vehicle. The Loaf reveals a lot about how well russia is doing in Ukraine. Image
2. The Loaf has been produced since 1965 in several variants. Four-wheel drive is its most interesting feature, otherwise it is extremely basic. All ages of Loaves are seen on the battlefield: ancient to brand new. A 112 HP petrol engine means it is not fast. Image
3. The suspension is prehistoric. It has solid axels with leaf spring front and rear. Although it has a sway bar, this vehicle is unlikely to be good for high speeds. The Loaf is easy prey for Ukraine’s FPV drones. Image
4. An FPV drone knocked this Loaf onto its right side. This view of its underside shows the central engine along with the front and rear solid axels. There are no skid plates. More relevant, there is an unprotected fuel tank on each side.
t.me/petrlundstrem/…
5. The russians use Loaves to supply front lines and to escape from shelling. Hitting a fuel tank with an FPV drone will burn the Loaf. More importantly, it will burn what the Loaf is transporting including personnel, equipment, ammunition and weapons.
t.me/i_strelkov_202…
6. Why is russia using antiquated vans in a war? Fortunately, russian sources are exceptionally forthcoming when discussing Loaves because these vehicles are bought using donations and delivered by volunteers.
t.me/sudoplatov_off…
7. Russians state, “The delivery of ammunition and the removal of the wounded is simply impossible now without such vehicles. Large military vehicles are instantly attacked by FPV drones, which fly in swarms and fly 10-20 km from the LBS to our rear.”
t.me/fronttyagach82…
8. Life of a Loaf is short. One group was happy their Loaf made 3 trips before being burned. Another says, “A year ago we made a purchase of vehicles for fighters - and now there is not a single one left. They do not last long in combat conditions.”
t.me/talipovonlineV…
9. Ukrainians talk about Bukhankocide. “One of the roads of death for Russian logistics. Almost all transportation is on loaves and golf carts. Thanks to the good work of drones & artillery all the field roads and woods are littered with burned-out cars.”
t.me/gostrikartuzy/…
10. Russia soldiers are burning through these vehicles, “The highest priority is the supply of vehicles - their shortage is now felt most acutely.” But this demand is driving up prices. A new Loaf is 1.5M rubles (about US$15k).
t.me/boris_rozhin/1…
11. Russians say they desperately need Loaves to deliver supplies & transport personnel because there are no other resources. That is, they are not using armored vehicles because they do not have them. What happened to russia’s huge store of armoured vehicles? Image
12. The large-scale use of donated Loafs strongly suggests russia’s military is running low on armoured vehicles. Russian Telegram channels support this claim. Ukraine is destroying russia’s logistics by burning their Loaves.
13. A Loaf is likely great on a farm or for camping but its widespread use by russian soldiers indicates a serious lack of military vehicles. We know the Loafs are important to russians because they are now mounting (possibly incorrectly) electronic warfare systems on them. Image
14. Reading what the russians say about these vehicles is very insightful. Have a look yourself. If you found this thread interesting, please repost as a quote. Comments are appreciated. Also see my previous threads listed under, “Highlights” Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with DanielR

DanielR Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DanielR33187703

Jul 17
1. The air data computer from a Shahed-136 #drone was reversed engineered by Le labo de Michel @lelabodemichel5162 with a detailed explanation given in a YouTube video. This computer supplies airspeed and altitude to the drone’s flight computer. Image
2. The circuit board is fairly small and has two air pressure transducers. One transducer is used for measuring altitude and the other is for airspeed. The board transmits data over an old-school RS232 serial line. A JTAG port is for programming a microcontroller. Image
3. The pressure transducers appear to be from the Slovenian company, HYB Sensor. It is difficult to determine the exact models but possibly HPSD 3100 or HPSD 3000. Feel free to ask HYB Sensor if (and why) their products are in these drones. Image
Read 10 tweets
Jul 4
1. A single photo of a russian workbench gives a sense of how the #war is going for them. Here a russian Telegram channel proudly describes the “FPV "OFFICE" of their graduate. Let’s have a closer look.
t.me/FPV_vyZOV/1673
2. There are a few things including the rifle (AK?) indicating this is near the frontlines. Can weapons folks please comment on this rifle, especially if there is anything interesting about it? Image
3. The munition looks like a nasty thermobaric warhead that is used against vehicles and personnel. It seems odd to have this on a workbench meant for repairing drones. Image
Read 17 tweets
Jun 20
1. A mysterious #Ukrainian #drone is striking targets deep inside russia. This drone is causing lots of problems for the russians but what is it? Image
2. After one deep strike, a russian Telegram channel showed a photo of 6 drone engines and incorrectly claimed they were from Ukrainian Liutyi (Fierce) #drones. These engines are much too small for a Liutyi. The true story is more interesting.
t.me/genshtab24/602…
3. For reference, the Liutyi is a fairly large drone that is easily identifiable by its fixed landing gear, twin-boom fuselage and V-tail. Its engine, a Hirth model F23, produces 50 HP and is much larger than the engines shown above.
pravda.com.ua/eng/articles/2…
Read 23 tweets
Jun 2
1. Russian Telegram states, “we often see military equipment at the front tuned with metal meshes. The chain-link mesh creates a protective space over the car from enemy drops, and has already saved many lives.” But a Soviet-aera Saporoshez SAS 968 with an anti-drone cage? Image
2. The Saporoshez was made from 1971 to 1994 and has a 45 HP air-cooled V4. Apparently, it can reach 100 km/h (62 mph) in 32 seconds (one assumes unloaded). It seems unlikely this would outrun an FPV drone. Image
3. Also a sign that things are not going well for the russians: a Lada 2101 with some chicken wire is now considered a “military vehicle”.
t.me/fronttyagach82…
Read 5 tweets
May 23
1. A russian group showed a short video of their #drone work bench and claimed it demonstrated how they are “FPV-geniuses”. Let’s have a closer look at their assembly work and decide for ourselves.
t.me/FPV_vyZOV/1508
2. This is where 8 or so people (counting soldering pencils) are assembling drones. Curiously, there are two large workbench soldering stations but the battery-powered soldering pencils seem to be preferred. The workbench unit is overkill if only used for heat-shrink. Image
3. They all use the same tool kit that is made by iFlight. One interesting detail is that the soldering pencils included in the kit are powered by large LiPo batteries (like drones use) instead of mains power. The kits all look new. Image
Read 9 tweets
May 21
1. Anti-drone guns and other electronic warfare (EW) devices are incredibly important for defending against russian #drones in #Ukraine. These EW devices see harsh service and can be damaged or broken. How do soldiers know their EW devices are working properly? Image
2. A very common way to confirm proper operation is by using a spectrum analyser connected to an antenna. A common example is the tinySA shown here. But spectrum analysers are not simple to use, and not all soldiers are trained how to use one. A simpler method is needed. Image
3. Here is a tool being developed for performing quality assurance on electronic warfare devices. It measures output of EW on five different frequency bands. A green square indicates EW is transmitting and red (shown here) indicates no transmission.
t.me/serhii_flash/2…
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(