Crémieux Profile picture
Sep 16 14 tweets 4 min read Read on X
I have a pretty major update for one of my articles.

It has to do with Justice Jackson's comment that when Black newborns are delivered by Black doctors, they're much more likely to survive, justifying racially discriminatory admissions.

We now know she was wrong🧵 Image
So if you don't recall, here's how Justice Jackson described the original study's findings.

She was wrong to describe it this way, because she mixed up percentage points with percentages, and she's referring to the uncontrolled rather than the fully-controlled effect. Image
After I saw her mention this, I looked into the study and found that its results all seemed to have p-values between 0.10 and 0.01.

Or in other words, the study was p-hacked. Image
If you look across all of the paper's models, you see that all the results are borderline significant at best, and usually just-nonsignificant, which is a sign of methodological tomfoolery and results that are likely fragile.

With all that said, I recommended ignoring the paper. Image
Today, a reanalysis has come out, and it doesn't tell us why the coefficients are all at best marginally significant, but instead, why they're all in the same direction.

The reason has to do with baby birthweights.
So, first thing:

(A) At very low birthweights, babies have higher mortality rates, and they're similar across baby races;

(B) At very low birthweights, babies have higher mortality rates, and they're similar across physician races. Image
Second thing: Black infants tend to have lower birthweights.

MIxed infants tend to birthweights in-between Blacks and Whites, and there's a mother effect, such that Black mothers have smaller mixed babies than White mothers (selection is still possible)

Third thing:

(A) Black babies with high birthweights disproportionately go to Black doctors;

(B) The Black babies sent to White doctors disproportionately have very low birthweights. Image
If you control for birthweight when running the original authors' models, two things happen.

For one, they fit a lot better.

For two, the apparently beneficial effect of patient-doctor racial concordance for Black babies disappears:Image
At this point, we have to ask ourselves why the original study didn't control for birthweight. One sentence in the original paper suggests the authors knew it was a potential issue, but they still failed to control for it.Image
PNAS also played an important role in keeping the public misinformed because they didn't mandate that the paper include its specification, so no one could see if birthweight was controlled. If we had known the full model details, surely someone would have called this out earlier.
Ultimately, we have ourselves yet another case of PNAS publishing highly popular rubbish and it taking far too long to get it corrected.

Let me preregister something else:

The original paper will continue to be cited more than the correction with the birthweight control.
The public will continue to be misled by the original, bad result. PNAS should probably retract it for the good of the public, but if I had to bet, they won't.

So people like Justice Jackson will continue to cite it to support their case for racial discrimination.
They'll continue doing that even though they're wrong.

To learn more and to find the article linked, check out my post on this: cremieux.xyz/p/missing-fixe…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Crémieux

Crémieux Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @cremieuxrecueil

Sep 25
The College Board just released this year's SAT scores!

I thought I'd go ahead and put everything in familiar terms and make some plots.

This thread will have a lot of pictures. First up: How did everyone do? Image
All of the typical race differences are there. Blacks did roughly 15 IQ points worse, Hispanics did about 10 points worse, Asians did similarly better, etc.

If we scale all that by the sizes of the populations who took the tests, we get this: Image
Another way to look at this data is to stack everyone into a single population, like so: Image
Read 10 tweets
Sep 24
A few days ago, I wrote about evidence that the Counter-Reformation impeded scientific progress in the Catholic world relative to the Protestant one.

The evidence doesn't stop there. Lots of places diverge predictably🧵

First, Catholic and Protestant German cities:
When does Spain fall behind the Netherlands and Britain?

After they got worked up about Protestant cells in the country, leading to a crackdown. Image
When did the Catholic Dutch fall behind the Protestant Dutch?

After the Spanish reasserted themselves in the southern parts of the Low Countries. Image
Read 9 tweets
Sep 23
The FBI has finally released crime statistics for 2023!

Let's have a short thread.

First thing up is recent violent crime trends: Image
Now let's focus in on homicides.

The homicide statistics split by race show the same distribution they have for years. Image
As with every crime, it's still men doing the killing, but it's also largely men doing the dying. Image
Read 7 tweets
Sep 20
Innovation is the backbone of modern economic growth, and without the Protestants, we probably wouldn't have it🧵

Consider the period of the Counter-Reformation. During this time, the Catholic Church set science back in the territories it governed: Image
Before the Counter-Reformation, Catholic and Protestant Europe were on similar scientific trajectories:

They produced comparable numbers of scientists, comparably important intellectuals, and comparable numbers of inventions. Image
But, seemingly overnight, Catholics started rampaging against intellectualism, and they had a focused impact on scientists, with no appreciable impacts on artists or other types of intellectuals.

Protestantism promoted the separation of Church and Science, so this makes sense. Image
Read 12 tweets
Sep 19
Are LLMs smart like humans are smart? Short🧵

If you give them a battery of tests built for LLMs or covering topics like U.S. History, you can end up with a model that is unidimensional, much like how human intelligence is: Image
I previously attempted to fit such a model and was unsuccessful because many LLMs are practically the same person, leading to a fitting failure.

These authors obviated that issue by pruning highly similar LLMs with DBSCAN and other means.

The result was a model that fits, when you have a bifactor solution, and not when you have a single-factor one or two non-general factors.

The result is, frankly, a bit cobbled together and hacky, but you have to live with that if you want a model that's even facially fine.
Read 8 tweets
Sep 12
More than thirty countries globally have automatic non-filing options for taxpayers.

Many people claim these help to make the tax system more fair by taking out tax hassle and guesswork.

But German data suggests they might make the tax system less progressive🧵Image
The first thing to note is that the lower the income, the greater the odds of not filing, with almost 90% of those earning just €10,000 choosing not to file.

At an income of about €50,000, the relationship asymptotes at roughly 30% non-filers. Image
Another thing to note is that, consistent with the tax system being progressive in general, lower-income individuals are entitled to refunds more often. Image
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(