Shortly after the war began, America's two largest satellite imagery providers, Planet and Vantor, bowed to government requests to withhold imagery of the region while the conflict continued.
But Iranian state-affiliated media published scores of high-resolution images:
We accumulated 128 Iranian images, geolocated them, and compared them to open-source Sentinel-2 satellite imagery and Planet imagery when available, ultimately confirming 109 of the images. We found no evidence the Iranian images had been manipulated.
Per government requests, Planet isn't providing any images taken after March 8. But using the Iranian images, we scoured Planet's available imagery for discrete damage points.
Conservatively, we counted 217 damaged or destroyed structures across 15 US military sites.
The structures included hangers, barracks, fuel bladders, and maintenance buildings:
The imagery also showed the damage or destruction of at least 11 pieces of equipment, including Patriot missile defense radars, satellite communications dishes, the E-3 Sentry aircraft, and the THAAD battery at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base:
Experts who reviewed The Post’s analysis said the damage at the sites suggested that the U.S. military had underestimated Iran’s targeting abilities, not adapted sufficiently to modern drone warfare and left some bases under-protected.
“The Iranian attacks were precise. There are no random craters indicating misses,” said @MarkCancian, a senior adviser with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, who reviewed the Iranian images at The Post’s request.
@ka_grieco told us that the apparent US strategy to destroy Iran’s missile and drone forces fast enough to prevent them from inflicting serious damage underestimated “the depth of Iran’s pre-positioned targeting intelligence on fixed U.S. infrastructure.” Instead, Iran was able to continually strike US sites for more than a month.
Most US forces had left endangered bases by early in the war, officials said, and experts noted that the military may have let some Iranian strikes land if they were going to hit unimportant sites.
@Justin_Br0nk told us that U.S. and allied air defenses had done an impressive job intercepting attacks, but “at an enormous cost in terms of surface-to-air missile interceptors and air-to-air missiles.”
A @CSIS estimate says the military used at least 190 THAAD interceptors and 1,060 Patriot interceptors between Feb. 28 and April 8, representing 53 percent and 43 percent of their prewar inventories, respectively.
Many strikes appeared to be precise and reflected a comparatively new ability to penetrate air defenses.
“While [drones] have small payloads — some of these did not do that much damage — they are more difficult to intercept and much more accurate, making them a much bigger threat to U.S. forces,” said Decker Eveleth, an associate research analyst at the Center for Naval Analyses.
Damage from Iranian strikes will force planners to consider new tradeoffs involved in putting troops in harms way, said Max Bremer of the Stimson Center.
Two officials said U.S. forces may never return to regional bases in large numbers, though no final decision has been made.
To report this story, The Post sent Iranian and comparison imagery to @sam_lair and Will Goodhind of @ContestedG, who checked and analyzed them. I'm very grateful for their generosity with their time. Other experts reviewed the images to offer their comments.
Also important to acknowledge the ongoing work open source researchers online are doing aggregating and looking into this Iranian imagery; @EGYOSINT in particular. This is a good thread
Interesting timing for this push from US intelligence. Isfahan has been a site of some intrigue so it's worth understanding what we know and don't know about it. (For example, this tunnel and the dirt mounds next to it have been there for years.) 🧵
Here is one of the earliest satellite images of that tunnel, taken 3/11/02 (L). And the earliest visible dirt mounds, taken 11/30/22 (R). The latter would predate the Trump administration's first Iran strikes by about two and a half years.
Interestingly, there was almost no change in the tunnel in advance of the Trump administration's June 2025 strikes, not even to cover it. And while there was some kind of soil removal occurring this February, it appears to have halted since the new strikes began on Feb. 28.
We obtained footage showing a man who appeared to be refugee Nurul Amin Shah Alam being dropped off by Border Patrol outside a Buffalo coffee shop after 8pm. The shop locks its door at 7pm. He never made it inside, and was found dead five days later: wapo.st/3OCwNx8
This video, taken from the drive-thru of a Tim Hortons coffee shop, shows a man from an unmarked white van unloading the person who appears to be Shah Alam before driving away. The person is wearing clothes that match those Shah Alam was wearing when arrested a year prior.
This video shows Shah Alam, visible wearing what Mayor Sean Ryan described as orange jail booties, walk to the Tim Hortons front door, pause, and walk away. An employee told us today that they look the doors at 7pm every night. The time was 8:19pm.
Our new investigation (linked below) finds that nearly 6,000 buildings have been damaged or destroyed in southern Lebanon, around 80% of them since Israel’s Oct. 1 invasion. I’ll go into some of our findings and work here 🧵:
To conduct this analysis, we relied on @coreymaps and @jamonvdh’s excellent damage maps and estimates, which are based on Sentinel-1 satellite radar analysis. Combined with Microsoft building footprints, they allow you to make a map of damage (in red) that can look like this:
Scher and Van Den Hoek's satellite radar analysis provides a country-wide view of damage that often picks up signals that can't be seen with the naked eye, even on very high resolution optical imagery (for reasons the experts understand much better than me).
Earlier this month, I read Ezra Klein's interview with Franklin Foer, the author of a recent sweeping piece in The Atlantic looking back at the Biden administration's Gaza policy, in which Foer made an interesting claim about Biden's "red line" on Rafah in March.
Klein pointed out that Biden said invading Rafah would be a red line, and then Israel went ahead and did it anyway. Foer replied that, from the Biden team's perspective, they did enforce the red line, by making Israel alter its invasion plan and do it in a "pinpoint way."
That struck me as odd, thinking back on what happened in Rafah, so I checked the satellite imagery. On the left is Rafah before the invasion, on May 5. On the right is Rafah after major combat ended, on September 12.