Chris Marsicano Profile picture
Nov 18, 2017 19 tweets 8 min read Read on X
As y'all know, I study higher ed lobbyists and used to work for one. A friend asked how I would lobby against the Graduate School Tuition Waiver Tax if I were still in the game. I thought about it, and here’s how I would tell students to oppose the #GradStudentTax (Thread): 1/19
First, I would shorten the name of the Graduate School Tuition Waiver Tax to the “Grad Student Tax.”

AKA: #GradStudentTax

Is it reductive? Yes. Does it get the point across? Also, Yes.

2/19

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Chris Marsicano

Chris Marsicano Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ChrisMarsicano

Apr 29, 2022
Today @DavidsonCollege announced our next President, @DougAHicks. Hicks is a @DavidsonAlums, @DukeU and @Harvard graduate, and the Dean of @EmoryOxford.

His appointment is more than meets the eye… THREAD

davidson.edu/news/2022/04/2…

1/14
Our current president, @CarolQuillen, is @DavidsonCollege’s first female president and first non-alum in the role since 1957. I am thankful for her tremendous leadership and for pushing us to innovate, diversify, and focus on equity. I will miss her.

2/14
davidson.edu/news/2021/08/0…
While I have LOVED @CarolQuillen’s approach to leadership, some older, more conservative members of the @DavidsonCollege community have disagreed with some of (what I think are positive) changes under her leadership.

nationalreview.com/corner/resista…

3/14
Read 15 tweets
Jul 7, 2020
Well, it finally happened. This #ICE International #StudentBan got me back into the “organizing effective lobbying action via twitter” game.

Want to make sure our lovely international students can keep their visas? Here’s how to do it:

THREAD.

thehill.com/homenews/admin…

1/14
Before we fight the #StudentBan, let me establish my credentials. I’m an expert on higher education lobbying. Just had a paper published on the subject. It is pretty good. You should check it out.

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.310…

Also, I’ve done this before…

2/14
In 2017, I offered some advice in a twitter thread about how graduate students could stop the #GradStudentTax. Well, we won that battle. So, let’s buckle up and use the same principles to win this one against the #StudentBan.

3/14
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(