Oliver Morton Profile picture
Dec 1, 2017 29 tweets 8 min read Read on X
carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-bri…
Today @carbonbrief has a big interview with @BillHareClimate of climateanalytics.org It covers many topics, some fascinatingly. But I want to take issue with some things he says about solar #geoengineering, aka #SRM or #SolarRadiationManagement 1/
Dr Hare tells @LeoHickman that, “along with...most physicists who have looked at” solar geoengineering, he thinks it is “a very dangerous technology”. There are forms of solar #geoengineering which could indeed be very dangerous. Two points to make about this: 2/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Oliver Morton

Oliver Morton Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Eaterofsun

Aug 9, 2023
Climate freak-out update: So after an extraordinary 35 days -- five whole weeks -- in which every day was hotter than every day on record in any previous year, the record global-air temperature streak is over.
https://t.co/gSWWcW6GRUclimatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/
Having broken the previous record temperature (16.92ºC, set on August 13th 2016) on July 3rd, and set a new record on July 7th (17.23ºC), the temperature as given by the NCEP reanalysis fell back below the 2016 record on August 8th (just: the temperature was 16.91ºC) Image
The ERA 5 reanalysis used by @CopernicusECMWF shows something very similar (though it is not as up to date). To provide an extra perspective, the analysts have added to their ERA 5 plot an indicator line showing the mean expected in a world 1.5ºC above the preindustrial norm. Image
Read 13 tweets
Aug 7, 2023
Last week's @TheEconomist climate coverage in one handy thread (with extracts for non subscribers)
The data team looked at the extraordinary low in winter sea ice around Antarctica.
https://t.co/Q8AuU6Dg9Neconomist.com/graphic-detail…
As they point out Image
My colleague @DSORennie writes about the Chinese leadership's unwillingness to associate extreme weather in the country to climate change
https://t.co/8YnIwj7Bsleconomist.com/china/2023/08/…
Read 7 tweets
Jul 19, 2023
So this is freaking me out.
The squiggly line son this chart are average sea surface temperatures over the course of the year going back about 40 years.
Up until March this year, the highest value on this map was 21ºC, a record set in 2016 Image
This March this year's temperature beat that record, going above 21ºC. (Peaks are in march because most of the ocean is in the southern hemisphere, and March is late southern summer)
Note-worthy but unsurprising: in a warming world, sea surface temperatures rise. Image
If you wanted to worry, you might have noted that the 2016 record was set in the second year of an El Nino event. When this year's record was set, the world was still officially in a La Nina. In general El Nino's are got, La Nina's cold.
theconversation.com/el-nino-combin…
Read 6 tweets
Dec 23, 2022
A few non-spoiler world-building thoughts about #AvatarTheWayOfWater
The General tells us the Earth is dying. At the same time the Earth, or maybe just some American-led faction of it, is capable of launching fleets of very big near-light-speed interstellar vessels.
So it's a future of ecological collapse and amazingly high tech on a mega-industrial scale (those starships must represent thousands of terawatt-years of energy in launch costs alone @anderssandberg @robert_zubrin ?)
In which case it represents the dark side of decoupling. Earth's civilisation is clearly way beyond fossil-fuel use and capable of synthesising just about anything, but the Earth's environment is still going to shit.
Read 10 tweets
Dec 22, 2022
Third, final and shortest year in review thread: Essays
Of my various responsibilities the essay strand, invented by @tomstandage is both my shame and my delight.
Shame because it always comes in last in terms of priority and so we end up doing far too few of them.
Delight because they are ace, and a bit different.
Three this year: First, somehow @suelinwong
managed to take time off from hosting @theeconomist's wonderful and mega-successful podcast on Xi, The Prince...
economist.com/theprincepod
Read 14 tweets
Dec 22, 2022
So here is a little more of "what I did this year", which is basically "thanks to all the cool people I worked with this year"
First part here
Most of my job this year was running the briefings @TheEconomist, and far and away the biggest thing there wast the Ukraine coverage, especially the first six months of it. You can get a lot of that from this thread of @shashj's
Working as a team with @shashj and @ArkadyOstrovsky in London at first, @olliecarroll and many others including @richardjensor @robertguest1 @AntonLaGuardia @mattsteinglass was terrible, because war, and inspiring, because comradeship and commitment.
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(