Ady Barkan Profile picture
Dec 11, 2017 28 tweets 6 min read Read on X
It’s been a long day. 20 hours of poignant conversations with journalists, parents, and activists about the state of our nation and our prospects for stopping this cruel bill. But I want to talk about my wife, @rachael_scar . And about women. In America. In 2017.
Her name is Rachael Scarborough King. She is a professor of English Literature at the University of California, Santa Barbara. And she is Carl’s mother.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ady Barkan

Ady Barkan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AdyBarkan

Nov 2, 2023
Hi all, this is Ady’s wife, Rachael. I’m devastated to share the news that Ady has died from complications of ALS. You probably knew Ady as a healthcare activist. But more importantly he was a wonderful dad and my life partner for 18 years. [1/4] A photo of a family on a path outdoors. A man is seated in a wheelchair with a woman standing to his right and a toddler girl standing next to her. A young boy stands to the left of the man.
More from Jamila Headley, Ady’s co-lead at @BeAHero: [2/4]
@BeaHero Ady fought for the 24/7 care he needed to be home with us until the end of his life. It’s impossible to thank his incredible caregivers enough for their labor and care, which allowed us to live as a family through Ady’s health challenges. Everyone should have that chance. [3/4] Image
Read 4 tweets
Feb 24, 2023
Do you have Medicare Advantage through United Healthcare, Humana, CVS Health/Aetna, Elevance (Blue Cross), or another private insurer?

Have you faced healthcare denials, delays, out of network issues, or huge bills? If so, we want to hear your story. Reply or send me a DM. 1/4
Recent investigations have found that the largest insurers in Medicare Advantage have committed widespread fraud and denied patients critical care they were supposed to provide by law, despite receiving billions of taxpayer subsidies. 2/4

nytimes.com/2022/10/08/ups…
That’s why we’re seeking stories of patients harmed by “Medicare Disadvantage.” We’re also calling on Congress to crack down on fraud, abuse, and denials of critical care.

If you agree, you can send a letter to Congress here: act.newmode.net/action/be-hero… 3/4
Read 4 tweets
Apr 28, 2021
I got a copy of the AFP this morning. There's this great line in it that says "Biden has a plan to expand the ACA and lower prescription drug prices."

That's all good and well. But, after that line, there isn't a single ounce of detail about how we make that a reality. Image
Don't get me wrong, the American Family plan has A LOT of good in its pages. It boldly takes on childhood poverty, it takes a step in the right direction on paid family leave.

But, other than that, the plan completely ignores our healthcare crisis.
The plan doesn't help nurses, doctors, patients, nor any one that has spent this last heartbreaking year on the frontlines of a global pandemic.
Read 6 tweets
Apr 20, 2021
I'm bringing my fight for single payer to my home state of California.

Over the next 8 weeks, I'll be interviewing progressive leaders and activists across the state about how we reach universal coverage here in the Golden State.

THREAD
We’ll be talking about the road to single payer here.

For decades, California has paved the way for real progressive reform. And now it’s time for CA to step up and show us what’s possible when it comes to our healthcare.
I've asked elected officials and a couple progressive celebrities across the state to take the time and speak with me about the healthcare system California needs.

We'll be talking about care accessibility, how to build movement power, and our personal experiences.
Read 7 tweets
Dec 19, 2020
I am very late to this #MedicareForAll floor vote debate, but since it is still raging, I’ll join the fray by telling you a little story.
In 2019, after I testified at the first ever #MedicareForAll hearing, I got back to Santa Barbara and realized that my own Democratic congressman was not a cosponsor of the bill! So I did some organizing.
We pulled together a ragtag coalition of some old timer health care activists, the local DSA chapter, some college students, a women’s political club, and a local elected official. We met in my living room three times to scheme.
Read 15 tweets
Dec 16, 2020
UPDATE: Love you all. Due to your support, we’re getting these ads up in GA!

BUT our work is far from over. The stakes are too high. At the end of this thread, I’m going to ask you to help fund Spanish health care ads in GA.

First, I want to tell you about @ConMijente.
@ConMijente has been doing the important work of organizing the Latinx community in GA to vote and engage in issues that lead to more justice and more equity.

Ahead of the runoffs, they have plans to knock the doors of *every* Latinx voter or family.
But that's not all.

@ConMijente has partnered w/ @BeAHeroTeam to invest in Spanish digital and radio ads across GA. The ads they’ve produced feature health care stories from Latinx Georgians and encourage voters to support Dems in the runoffs.

Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(