Brian Howald Profile picture
Dec 12, 2017 14 tweets 6 min read Read on X
I was biking to a community mtg. tonight when I saw multiple vehicles driving in the 3rd Ave. bike lane.

A man stuck his head out the window waving a non-NYPD placard, telling me to pull over, claiming to be a police officer.

When challenged, he hid the placard & his face.

1/
I noticed he had a driver wearing a suit.

2/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Brian Howald

Brian Howald Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @bdhowald

Nov 22, 2021
I attended yesterday’s @NYC_SafeStreets World Day of Remembrance event and am glad I did. I’ve attended five WDOR ceremonies, and each time I’m reminded that there is no substitute for the words of victims and their families if you seek to be moved. Image
I’ve watched FSS members recount their stories at community board meetings, DOT charettes, press conferences, etc. The details they share of their loved ones or of themselves before their crashes, more than anything, have a power to silence all discussion and argument.
We TA volunteers owe FSS a huge debt for giving so much of themselves after so much was taken away. More than data, clever reasoning, and straight up yelling, FSS members enable our work, not by upping the tenor, but by lowering it, by putting faces to the cost of inaction.
Read 5 tweets
Oct 11, 2021
About ten years ago, I had a bout of health anxiety that took seven months to recover from. I learned that I could become of a victim of my own brain and how to be skeptical, not just of my judgments, but of things as basic as the sensations of my body.

1/
The triggering event was likely esophageal spasms linked to anger over being illegally denied an apartment due to my age. They started as my red-eye from SFO to NYC taxied for takeoff. Having never felt that pain before, I thought I was having a heart attack.

2/
This brought on a panic attack that took several hours to come down from. Several similar episodes occurred over the next month, but I got no clear explanation from my PCP. Soon, I was convinced I had a serious illness. I just didn’t know which one.

3/
Read 25 tweets
Oct 3, 2021
Continuing my critique of conflating advocacy for advocacy-adjacent spaces, particularly Twitter, but also including social activities connected to advocacy, sometimes beneficial and sometimes not, using Jonathan Smucker's "Hegemony How-To":

1/
I was required to take "The Ethics and Politics of Public Service" as part of my Urban Society & Social Change conc. in the Urban Studies major. We discussed many topics, including direct relief vs. systemic change, and were repeatedly forced to question our motives.

2/
One of the course's key discussions was the relative importance of intentions vs. effectiveness, using the story of Lia Lee in "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" to demonstrate that wanting to do good is not the same as doing good.

3/
Read 24 tweets
Sep 28, 2021
I was asked/challenged to synthesize my thoughts on advocacy-adjacent spaces on Twitter (transit, urbanist, bike, etc.). I'm still working on how advocacy-adjacent can get conflated with advocacy and what that means, but I thought I'd share some of a book I'm reading:
"A cohesive sense of group dramatically increases participants' willingness to give of ourselves, our time and energy, and even to risk our safety for the sake of a greater good...
"But such cohesion is a double-edged sword. Insofar as participants are motivated by…psychic completion, as opposed to concretely changing X in the world, they are likely to fixate on the group's internal lifeworld more than the group's external political accomplishments…
Read 14 tweets
May 8, 2020
Yesterday, I took my first #bikenyc ride in two months!

What’s more? I did it entirely from memory (did not use maps for navigation while riding, though I did study the route the night before)

(h/t to @akgerber and @CWFNYC for the idea.)

1/
For the first 20 minutes, I forgot how to ride a bike on the streets of Brooklyn.

Moving at speed while outside, even being outside itself felt unnatural.

2/
I’ve never minded shoaling before, but I got spooked by the enormous number of people riding with me down Dean and headed two blocks south to St. James.

I came across one of the plazas built by Bed Stuy Restoration and detailed by @wjfarr last month ()

3/
Read 29 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(