Seth Abramson Profile picture
Jan 8, 2018 37 tweets 7 min read Read on X
(THREAD) BREAKING: NBC reports that Mueller plans to interview Trump about his ties to Russia. This thread—by a former a criminal defense attorney—breaks down this major news. I hope you'll read and share, as this could be the single most consequential interview of our lifetimes.
1/ First, here's the NBC breaking news report: nbcnews.com/politics/donal…
2/ Contrary to what you may have seen on Law & Order, prosecutors almost never get to speak to defendants directly, as no criminal defense attorney would be stupid enough to allow that. An exception is if both attorney and client are absolutely certain the client is not a target.
3/ In this case, whatever Trump's public statements on the matter; and whatever Comey may have told him many months ago; and whatever Trump's lawyers may be saying; and however silent Mueller may have been on the issue——President Trump is definitely a target of the Russia probe.
4/ We know Mueller is looking at referring an indictment against Trump on Obstruction because that's been leaked. We know Mueller thinks he may be able to refer an indictment related to Russia against Trump, Pence, or both because he wouldn't have offered Flynn a deal otherwise.
5/ I say "refer" an indictment because if Mueller wants to indict Trump, he can't—he must refer that recommendation to Rosenstein at DOJ, who then refers it to Congress for possible impeachment proceedings. Trump can only be indicted after he is impeached and removed from office.
6/ Pence or others can be indicted by Mueller whenever he wants—if Rosenstein agrees, which is why Trump has considered firing him instead of Mueller. In any case, Trump's attorneys don't distinguish between impeachment and indictment for the purposes of considering an interview.
7/ So normally, Trump's lawyers would refuse any interview request from Mueller and inform him that if called to testify before a grand jury, Trump would—on the grounds of Mueller having targeted him for indictment—assert his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.
8/ Asserting your Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination—which is functionally a *right* in the first instance—is not an admission of guilt. It merely acknowledges that you have reasonable basis to believe answering questions could expose you to criminal liability.
9/ This is a key distinction, as in *theory* it lets Trump refuse to answer any questions in an interview or before a grand jury while maintaining his innocence. Essentially, the mere fact of Mueller having targeted him could give him reasonable basis to fear self-incrimination.
10/ This is why prosecutors don't want targets to know they're targets until they've interviewed them—and why they don't always send "target letters" (and almost never do at the state level). But here, leaks and media coverage have let Trump know in advance that he *is* a target.
11/ Everything I've said is just the "theory" of the situation. The *reality* is that—from the standpoint of being the most powerful politician in America—you can't loudly declare your innocence while saying your direct answers to questions asked by Mueller could incriminate you.
12/ To be clear, not only would Trump's answers to Mueller's (or a Mueller agent's) questions *absolutely* incriminate Trump, his inability to tell the truth would—were he under oath—almost *certainly* lead to *new* charges for Perjury. If not under oath, Making False Statements.
13/ So Trump's in a terrible situation here—one that attorneys saw from the moment it was clear the Russia probe was looking at an Obstruction referral against the president, as at that moment it was absolutely certain that Comey (and then Mueller) *would* demand to speak to him.
14/ So if Trump speaks to Mueller without preconditions, he a) will be referred for indictment, almost certainly, for *both* Obstruction *and* some Russia-related Conspiracy charge (via Flynn's testimony), *and* b) face new referrals for either Making False Statements or Perjury.
15/ *Any* of those charges would be grounds for impeachment, as established by the Constitution and Republicans' impeachment—but not removal—of Clinton in the 90s. On the other hand, if Trump refuses an interview or testimony, he is—in political terms—as good as admitting guilt.
16/ So if you know Trump at all—that is, if you've watched his behavior over the last year (see thread below)—you know what he's going to do: he's going to refuse to be interviewed or testify while continuing to loudly declare his innocence of all charges.
17/ Doing so (a) ensures he doesn't aid Mueller's probe beyond the document production required by Constitution, statute, and the fact the Fifth Amendment applies differently to documents; (b) maintains his claim of innocence at the same level of plausibility it's always been at.
18/ Also, (c) it fits the narrative Trump has been crafted all along, recently with the help of House GOP allies: I'm innocent, but this is a corrupt investigation—a politics-driven hoax—so I refuse to participate in it because they'll find a way to incriminate me no matter what.
19/ All this is the *backstory* to today's NBC report. It explains why what's happening here is a "negotiation"—because Mueller wants to talk to Trump, but knows Trump could refuse to accede to the request—and why these talks are happening well in advance of any such questioning.
20/ That last point is a key one, and has two important corollaries: (a) we're not particularly close—i.e., in time—to this interview or testimony happening, and (b) when it happens, it *doesn't* mean the end of the Russia investigation, simply the most critical moment in it yet.
21/ So now you can more easily understand what I'll say next: that the offers made by Trump's lawyers to Mueller are *absolutely ridiculous*, are *PR stunts*, and will *under no circumstances* be accepted by Mueller—nor would they be accepted by *any* self-respecting prosecutor.
22/ No prosecutor would allow a target to—in lieu of a live interview or testimony—pen a sworn affidavit attesting to their innocence: (a) it lets a prospective defendant define what the accusation is (Trump habitually and intentionally misdefines *his* as "helping Russia hack");
23/ (b) it lets the prospective defendant decide what the questions would've been (and the defendant will always choose the easiest, most benign questions); (c) it lets them control the language they use in answering those questions—which will be vague and noncommittal as needed.
24/ Just so—though it's *marginally* better than a sworn affidavit would be—*no* federal prosecutor worth his or her salt would allow a prospective defendant to answer written interrogatories from the prosecutor instead of a live interview or sworn testimony before a grand jury.
25/ The reasons: (a) there's no opportunity for followups; (b) a defendant can use vague words/phrases—many forms of hedging—to avoid being nailed down on any fact or claim; and (c) it gives an appearance of full cooperation—"I answered *all* your questions!"—without the reality.
26/ And of course (d) as with a sworn affidavit, it lets the defendant answer questions at his leisure and with the assistance of a team—thus ensuring he has the maximum amount of time to craft whatever lies he feels will best hold up over time. So the answers are nearly useless.
27/ Of the offers that Trump's lawyers are floating—again, all offers they're floating knowing that Trump will likely choose to do what I've already said he'll do—the best option for Mueller, though still a conspicuously crappy one, is a severely time-limited, unsworn interview.
28/ Such an interview would allow for (a) the element of surprise, (b) followups if the defendant is vague, (c) followups if the defendant's answer suggests a new question, (d) limited time for the defendant to concoct lies, and most of all (e) prosecutorial control of the event.
29/ But there's also another, secret advantage for Mueller: (f) *any* interview with Trump—no matter its duration—will lead to him Making False Statements, as this president is *pathologically incapable* of giving honest answers under any sort of deposition, and Mueller knows it.
30/ Mueller is well aware Trump has perjured himself before, and frankly on an issue (adultery) far less serious—from a legal standpoint—than the accusations Trump is facing now. So if Mueller gets a live interview with Trump, he also gets felonies on him. chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/c…
31/ Deep in the dark recesses of his brain, Trump instinctively knows this too—and his attorneys *absolutely* know it—which makes it very hard to believe *any* live interview or testimony will ever come from Trump, despite him promising months ago (in the Rose Garden) to give it.
32/ This is especially true because Trump has an ace in the hole that *isn't* just crying "Hoax! Corruption! Witch-hunt!" as he and his allies have been—he and his lawyers can try to craft a legal argument to the effect that letting Trump be interviewed would set a bad precedent.
33/ This is really the *easiest* thing Trump can do to evade the questioning he *publicly promised* American voters he would subject himself to: have White House counsel draw up some sort of a memo that says, "The President *wants* to testify, but we believe he should not do so."
34/ This is why I say that—just like them saying their December meeting with Mueller could've resulted in an "exoneration letter," when they knew damn well it would not—Trump's lawyers letting it be known that they're negotiating Trump's cooperation with the probe is a *PR ploy*.
35/ As a former criminal defense attorney I might—in their shoes—do the same: knowing my client guilty; knowing he won't be interviewed or testify; knowing he's a "perjury machine"; I'd want to create the appearance of a willingness to cooperate. Which is all any of this is. /end
PS/ I'll briefly note a minority view among lawyers—that a sitting POTUS *can* be indicted. Don't expect this view—which I don't share—to prevail. Also, yes, if Mueller forces Trump to come to the grand jury to take the Fifth in person Trump would have to comply or face Contempt.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Seth Abramson

Seth Abramson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SethAbramson

Apr 18
BREAKING NEWS: Kremlin Asset Paul Manafort Confirms He is Already Working on Donald Trump’s 2024 Campaign, Meaning Vladimir Putin Again Has a Direct Line to Trump As Trump’s Allies in Congress Pull Out Every Stop Conceivable to Aid the Kremlin in Its Monstrous Invasion of Europe
Read 4 tweets
Apr 18
Many Americans don’t know that, in legal shorthand, a criminal defendant is represented by the “Delta” symbol, a triangle (∆).

(Yes—really.)

Less well known—but now, due to the Trump trial, just as relevant—is the “sleeping defendant” symbol: a faded, sideways triangle (▷).
When a criminal defendant is awake but angry at having to face consequences for his crimes, it’s OK to use the Red Delta (🔺).

If a defendant is—like Trump—livid at facing consequences *and* “sundowning” during afternoon court sessions, use the *inverted* Red Delta instead (🔻).
What about a criminal defendant who’s at once feeling “sad,” “tired,” and “boxed in” by virtue of having to deal with the same criminal procedures as the average American citizen, whom he considers himself far better than? For this we use the rare Recumbent Boxed Blue Delta (▶️).
Read 14 tweets
Apr 16
BREAKING NEWS: Early signs suggest that Trump’s Monday night bond filing *may* have again misled the court. It says Hankey now has a security interest of $175M in “DJT Trust”—but Hankey’s Axos Bank *already* has a $100M interest in DJT Trust. Is Trump double-dipping? @KatiePhang
1/ Some wondered why Trump went to Hankey’s Knight rather than Hankey’s Axos. It certainly *could* be to swindle the court into thinking him having $175M secured with Hankey is sufficient, when it fact he likely needs at least *$275M* in that Trust to not be misleading the court.
2/ And this is early research—Axos has lent to Trump multiple times, so we’ve no idea how many times he’s used DJT Trust as liquid collateral (including any double-dipping). We *do* know Trump has Bud Light stock in the Trust, which is why he now opposes his MAGAs’ boycott of it.
Read 9 tweets
Apr 15
Everyone knows the criminal trial on 34 felonies Trump begins on Monday is about him committing serious crimes to try to steal the 2016 presidential election, right? I mean, we’re clear on it having nothing to do with his family or propriety, only lying to American voters, right?
This is a man who committed felony after felony after felony after felony after felony after felony after felony after felony after felony—et al.—just to ensure his 2016 presidential campaign wouldn’t die a gruesome death, which it *would’ve* had he not committed those 34 crimes.
I’m not saying this because I used to be a federal criminal investigator and a criminal defense attorney. Anyone who isn’t a child fully understands that this case isn’t about sex, hush money, or business records.

It’s a case about the successful theft of the 2016 U.S. election.
Read 5 tweets
Apr 15
I feel like you could read and watch CNN all day and have no idea that the fully and carefully telegraphed offensive Iran orchestrated yesterday—which it knew would do no damage, and which didn’t—was a response to Israel unilaterally attacking Iranian assets in Syria days ago.
Iran’s a state-sponsor of terror and I have no respect for that regime whatsoever—but it’s journalistic malpractice for CNN to be turning to Bolton and Petraeus to try to lie America into another war in the Middle East by pretending Iran’s offensive was unprovoked and a surprise.
This was exactly the same sort of deliberately ineffectual strike that Iran used to respond the *last* time Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu, working in clandestine collusion with one another, assassinated Iranian leaders in violation of international law in January of 2020.
Read 15 tweets
Apr 14
Joe Biden is trying to be POTUS while also fighting off Donald Trump’s shadow administration, Steve Bannon’s insurrection plotting, the fascist “Project 2025,” the Trump-Netanyahu-MBS-MBZ-Putin collusion axis, and—not for nothing—trying to rescue us all from the sh*t Trump broke.
No President of the United States has had to deal with this many domestic threats since Lincoln. Proud Boys, Oath Keepers, Three Percenters, Great Redoubters, a resurgent KKK, Stop the Steal remnants, Leonard Leo, a corrupt SCOTUS, election interference by Trump’s allies...
...in China, Israel, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, a fake impeachment inquiry, Bannon and Project 2025, Elon’s sprawling disinformation machine here on Twitter, Newsmax, OANN, RSBN... every day this good man swims against a towering tide, and I think people don’t realize it.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(