3,106,845 passengers travelled through Heathrow Airport in March alone without tests or restrictions during the worst pandemic in our lifetimes.
The average monthly passenger numbers are usually around 6.5 million, so it's only a 50% drop. And that's just one airport.
This is even worse when you consider that the UK is an island, which should give it good natural geographic defense, it should not be one of the worst affected countries, so zero-measures at airports till this very day is a huge miscalculation.
Thread/ As one of the biggest regional escalations in the history of the #Syria war unfolds, here are a few thoughts on the Turkish-Russian/Syrian triangle of fighting in #Idlib – who will back down
1/Evidently #Russia has many limitations and concerns when it comes to an armed confrontation with #Turkey, something which has become increasingly apparent with its decisions in Syria, it does not want to enter a direct war with Turkey
2/#Russia has always proceeded with caution with its regional competitors or partners in #Syria, be that NATO, Turkey, or even Israel, it prefers to take a neutral or passive stance, for example the Syrian S300’s have not been activated and use of them is clearly not allowed.
@MiddleEastInst 1. The aims of the #Idleb offensive are pretty clear so far. Firstly - retaking the #Damascus-Aleppo highway.
Secondly - retaking #Idlib city, the provincial capital held by opp since 2015.
@MiddleEastInst 2. The town of Kafr Nabudah is now the epicenter of a battle that may decide the early outcome of the offensive, town has changed hands several times, imperative for #SAA to keep it if campaign is to be successful
Fahed kanjo is a Syrian journalist based in #Damascus, he has a weekly radio show on Farah FM. He was arrested days ago and is now awaiting trail for criticising the ministry of tourism after the ministry issued a complaint that he insulted the state of tourism in country.
1. This has become an increasing problem in recent times, ministries and institutions having the ability to make complaints on journalists who are lawfully & decently working & not even deeply criticising state behavior.
2. The state of tourism in #Syria Is relativly poor and corruption exists, everyone knows this, journalists are meant to be protected by Syrian laws & the constitution.
Thread: Here’s how the U.S led strikes on #Syria developed from here in the Capital #Damascus in the early hours of this morning
1. At around 4.30 Damascus time I awoke to initial large sounds of over 10 rocket attacks, it immediately was clear from the types of missile being heard that it was a Western Attack conducted by the #U.S #France & #U.K
2. The strikes were heard clearly in all parts of the Capital and continued on and off for a duration of 50 minutes, Syrian state media reported the strikes but didn’t provide information as to the locations
Important: Here's how the Russian brokered deal to evacuate #Douma involving #SAA & Jaysh al Islam (JAI) went sour, paving the way for a widespread military operation today in the last trapped rebel enclave in East #Ghouta
31. Within 48 hours the deal should be completed, which draws to a close the Russian backed #SAA operation to retake the whole of Eastern #Ghouta
32. Buses enter #Douma just now to start process of taking JAI to #Jarablus under terms of agreement