There are very specific reasons why people cannot or will not see the truth about people they admire or even about themselves. When you wrap religion and any sort of “authority” around the criminality/deviance — it is that much harder to help the unseeing world see. #churchtoo
This is also enrobed in politic and wrapped tightly with individual rights and freedoms to be utterly insane and ardently admired. We are a LONG, LONG, LONG way from cherishing the #whistleblowers — we would rather run them through instead. #churchtoo
I’m going to say something that is equal parts hard to hear and helpful.
Listening to, watching, and reading about another’s primary trauma can become a secondary trauma for the listener.
Professionals are trained on how to handle thier own vicarious trauma.
Evidence suggests that simply being listened to is therapeutic and cathartic to the speaker. Evidence also suggests it can be traumatic to the listener depending on their own trauma, disposition, physiology etc. Graphic details may to too much for laity to process.
1. I spoke at length yesterday with a long time advocate who will remain unmentioned. We discussed the issue of health, hope in the face of hopelessness, betrayal, blindness and balance in the face of it at. #churchtoo#abuseofaith#metoo
2. I thought I understood that this was a marathon, not a sprint. Her farsighted showed me the importance of pacing, of rest, of picking with great care the corner of this garment of sorrow I choose to sow my strength in. #churchtoo#abuseoffaith#MeToo
3. I went to bed with a heart of lead. I know I cannot keep pace with others. I’m a plodder not a runner. I know my strength is small and my is weakness great. I feel my finiteness and the fragility of my frame. I am so human. #churchtoo#abuseoffaith#MeToo
1. Scaffolding is a framework erected for workers to safely work while something is under construction. It is a place where the worker can be anchored, hold supplies, and rest, without constantly tearing down the support system. It helps you hold your place and reduces fatigue.
2. Scaffolding can be internal to a structure, or external to it, depending on the area being worked upon. Where you are doing internal work, you will need to set up and keep strong scaffolding to stay safe, upon which to rest, and to hold the ground you have gained. #recovery
3. If you are doing internal work, but have external scaffolding, your emotional health will continually collapse every time you are triggered, overtired, out of sorts, or overwhelmed. You must place the scaffold where it is needed, otherwise, you will fall like a house of cards.
1. The singular reason that I am on social media is to share empathetic, evidence-based information regarding sexual harm against children and adults. I have a particular interest in elite deviance in faith based communities - for several reasons. A thread.
2. 93% of incarnated sexual offenders self identify as religious or very religious. The very religious committed the most heinous crimes, with the highest number, and youngest victims (Abel & Harlow).
3. "I considered church people easy to fool... they have a trust that comes from being Christian... I think they want to believe in people. And because of that, you can easily convince, with or without convincing words."