A civic engagement initiative.
Keeping a critical eye on Parliament.
Bringing citizens closer to policy making.
Aug 1, 2022 • 40 tweets • 31 min read
Discussion on #pricerise starts in #LokSabha with Manish Tewari, INC speaking:
- In last 8 yrs, 5 economic values (savings, investment, production, consumption, employment) have degraded
- 23 crore have slid back into poverty
- 77% of country's wealth concentrated in 1% people
Tewari on #PriceRise:
- 100-166 billionaires in country, but poor people suffering
- started due to BJP's #demonetization
- then #GST imposition made MSMEs suffer, still not recovered
- 10.6 lakh crore money outstanding in this sector
- 8& #unemployment in 2022 #MonsoonSession
Aug 1, 2022 • 16 tweets • 14 min read
In #LokSabha, the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 is introduced amid protests.
After that House adjourns till 2pm with Presiding Officer announcing that discussion on price rise is decided & listed for today.
This #Thread has generated some interesting responses. Addressing some below: 1. "There may be no Rule, but this is done as a matter of convention." Well, exactly we are also saying that there is no rule, and if this is a convention then it needs to be challenged.
2. "Asking Q in #Parliament is a privilege & a suspended MP has her privileges withdrawn." Yes, asking a Q is a privilege, but suspension is not of membership of MP from the House but simply of their presence in House. An MP need not be present in House to get their Qs answered.
Jul 31, 2022 • 8 tweets • 7 min read
In the last week, not only 27 Opposition MPs have been suspended (4 in #LokSabha, 23 in #RajyaSabha), but as many as 97 Questions asked by these MPs have been DELETED & Govt has avoided answering these Qs!
There is NO provision in RULES to permit such deletion of Qs! #Thread
This dubious practice, which isn't permitted by Rules & has no logic, was first noticed in #MonsoonSession 2020, repeated in Monsoon Session 2021, Winter Session 2021 and now happening again in current #MonsoonSession2022.
See our earlier #Thread-
In #RajyaSabha, after papers, reports were tabled, Chair announced that he has received some 267 notices (to suspend listed business & take up a matter for urgent debate)
Some MPs are heard raising their demands.
Chair swiftly adjourns House till 12pm. #MonsoonSession
Jul 22, 2022 • 15 tweets • 12 min read
Private Member Bills are listed for introduction & discussion in #RajyaSabha today
A Bill on Uniform Civil Code by Kirodi Lal Meena is listed everytime, but he seems to be always absent & it doesn't get introduced. Same today.
Some other Bills get introduced today:
- Waqf Amendment by Dr. Fauzia Khan
- Compulsory Voting by Deepak Prakash
- Bengal freedom fighters memorial by Shanta Chhetri
- Indian national army regiment 2022 by shanta chhetri
- Central Public Sector Enterprises (Protection of
Interests of States) by John Brittas
Jul 22, 2022 • 10 tweets • 6 min read
#LokSabha starts discussion on India Antarctica Bill
Dr. Jitendra Singh, MoS, Earth Sciences speaks on the Bill:
-India runs two centres in #Antarctica - Maitri & Bharti
-India signatory to a Treaty to demilitarise the Antarctica region, regulate activities there #MonsoonSession
- many other countries which signed treaty brought law to penalise violation of treaty, we also need to do that
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, INC called to speak
He said that Govt is trying to shy away from debate on #pricerise, trying to pass Bill without discussion
Jul 22, 2022 • 15 tweets • 12 min read
Day 5 of #MonsoonSession
Both Houses get adjourned to 12pm within minutes
But in #LokSabha, an important question on 'Regional Benches of Supreme Court' gets discussed amid protests.
One MP asks if separate benches to deal with crimes against women will be considered....
Law Minister Kiren Rijiju says - agree with the sentiment, but not related to the main Q.
Another MP refers to Law Commission report which had recommended 4 regional benches of SC & division of SC into Constitutional division & legal division, says crores of cases pending.
Jul 20, 2022 • 12 tweets • 9 min read
Day 3 of #MonsoonSession starts
MPs in #LokSabha protest in a new way today!
Some of them are carrying milk / curd packets in the House (see video below)!
Speaker asks everyone to let Q Hour run, during Zero Hour, he will let MPs raise their issues
Protests continue #SansadWatch
Amid protests, Q hour proceeds.
A Q on godowns in Chhattisgarh is discussed
MoS Food, Public Distribution, Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti, claims that storage facilities work, no grain wasted or destroyed after 2014.
An MP asks that grain destroyed during transportation, look into this...
Jul 19, 2022 • 9 tweets • 7 min read
Day 2 also starts with protests #LokSabha runs for 12 mins & #RajyaSabha for 5 mins before getting adjourned till 2pm!
MPs protesting #pricerise & demanding discussion.
Meanwhile placards raised in LS amid Q Hour, Speaker says its against rules 👇 #SansadWatch
In #LokSabha, before adjournment, questions on tenant #farmers, legal guarantee for #MSP were discussed amid protests.
An MP says - 17.3% tenant farmers in country, vulnerable position. Minister - covered under fasal bima yojana, given fertilizer subsidy, loans #SansadWatch
Jul 18, 2022 • 9 tweets • 7 min read
MPs are taking oath in both Houses.
Many MPs in attendance on first day. #SansadWatch
After obituaries in #LokSabha, the Speaker announced that with some new MPs taking oath, LS is now at its full membership with no seat vacant!
As some MPs raise that they have moved notices, Speaker quickly mentions that today is President's election & adjourns House till 2pm!
Dec 20, 2021 • 28 tweets • 18 min read
Law Minister moves motion to introduce Election Laws Amendment Bill 2021 in #LokSabha amid protests.
Then Manish Tewari is called to speak on his motion to oppose introduction, he says that it is beyond Parliament's legislative competence, will be detrimental to democracy.
Adhir Ranjan choudhary opposes introduction of Bill
- demands its been sent to Standing Committee
- will lead to mass disenfranchisement
- is legally not sound
- refers to Puttaswamy judgment
- data security concerns, we still dont have #dataprotection law
#LokSabha begins discussion on #Constitution (127th Amendment) Bill.
Protests have subsided for the time being.
Dr. Virender Kumar, Minister of Social Justice speaks on the Bill, claims that states will have the right to notify OBC lists for their states.
Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary, INC on #Constitution (127th) Amendment Bill:
- We had warned Govt in 2018 that states rights were being taken away, but Govt didn't listen. Wasted its time and money in Supreme Court petition
- Govt has majority, so doesn't listen
In #LokSabha, Minister moves to introduce the National Commission for Homeopathy (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and then the National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (Amendment) Bill, 2021
Manish Tewari, Adhir Ranjan Chowdhary, Prof. Saugata Roy oppose introduction.
Mostly opposition is with respect to manner in which Bills are being introduced, which some MPs argue are in violation of rules and constitution provisions.
India scores '0/3' on Legislative Leadership at time of #COVID19 in a study by Westminster Foundation for #Democracy, Developmental Leadership Program & Int'l Development Dept at University of Birmingham.
Owing to #Parliament being out of session for most of last year.
The study scored countries on three indicators:
1. whether legislature sat regularly from 1st March 2020 to 1st May 2020
2. whether there was legislative oversight over Govt's initial #COVID19 response during 1st March 2020 to 1st May 2020
Sep 12, 2020 • 5 tweets • 4 min read
12 New Bills are listed for introduction in #MonsoonSession of #Parliament
These are: 1. Multi-State Co-operative Societies Amendment Bill- to rationalize Govt role & members participation in working of multi-state co-op societies 2. Bilateral Netting of #Financial Contracts Bill
3. Factoring Regulation (Amendment) Bill - to allow #NBFCs, other than NBFC-Factors to undertake Factoring business as well
1. Delaying discussing #FinanceBill for almost a week and then passing it without discussion in #LokSabha, because #Parliament had to be shut due to #COVID outbreak
2. On last day of curtailed #BdgetSession in #RajyaSabha, 7 Money Bills were returned in 5 hours, with 2 Appropriation Bills and all 154 clauses and 5 schedules of Finance Bill put to vote together without any discussion and cleared in 5 minutes
As recently as on 8th August 2018, Ministry of Home Affairs claimed in #RajyaSabha that data on people from minority communities coming to India on ground of religious persecution from different provinces of Pakistan is not centrally maintained
Sukhendu Shekhar Roy, TMC raises objection to discussion and wants it to be adjourned as intent of Bill is to provide protection to those fleeing from religious persecution, but same not mentioned in Bill at all.