• 2020: 15% of cable subscribers planned to cancel their service
• 2021: 27% of cable subscribers planned to cancel their service
"Streaming consumption now accounts for 68 percent of TV viewing versus 28 percent for traditional TV viewing."
Linear is dying
Some more interesting stats:
"Only 30 percent of U.S. consumers cite live sports as a reason for maintaining a cable TV subscription – significantly down from the 60 percent that cited live programming, including sports, just nine months previously."
"Fifty-one percent of U.S. consumers are unwilling to spend more than $20 in total per month on streaming subscriptions, according to the survey."
Today, I published the 50th episode of my podcast. I started it in March of 2020. The podcast has 4.9K downloads. The YouTube channel has 4,700 views.
Here's what I learned.
Starting the Podcast
• I started my podcast as an excuse to talk to people
• It was originally launched as a live-stream
• My logic was that I could collect email addresses and use that for a future newsletter
My First Guest
• My first guest was @petermartindc
• We live-streamed it via Zoom and 14 people showed up
• Live-streaming video is F**king hard
• You have to worry about people showing up and technical problems. Don't start with this.
• Everyone needs to work, but not everyone is passionate about it
• Are people working because they are passionate or because they need to?
• Some people have lost faith in the system or can't find a job
How the Creator Economy Evolved
• The first collab house was started in 2009
• People developed content as a means of self-expression and/or creativity
• Influencer wasn't considered a "normal" job or a way to make money
• Now it's changed
8 Lessons I Learned from Enzo Ferrari on Building the World's Most Valuable Brand — Ferrari.
"Race cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win."
Thread 👇 👇 👇
Exclusivity as a Marketing Strategy
Ferrari doesn't want just anyone to own a Ferrari. "If anyone can walk into a dealership and get one, then it loses what makes it special ... for the model to work, you have to keep prices up.”
Their €3.7B in net revenue proves it works.
Be the Best At One Thing
Ferrari has won 237 F1 Grand Prix races. It's closest competitor has 56 fewer wins. Ferrari is first and foremost a racing company. Its success in racing has increased the demand for its road cars. People want to drive the best and the best is Ferrari.
1/ I grew my newsletter from 0 to 1,000 subscribers in 5 months. Here's how I did it.
Thread 👇 👇 👇
2/ When COVID began, I stopped traveling and taking meetings. My business partner, @ChrisBerryOH, encouraged me to create content. I didn't have a focus or an audience but did have experience with content creation.
3/ One of my current endeavors is running the Cleveland Tech Newsletter. Each week I'd interview a guest in the Cleveland Tech scene. I was going to apply that same lesson to my new newsletter.
1/ What I learned from @davenemetz, founder of Bleacher Report, about the future of digital media.
Thread 👇 👇 👇
2/ Organic Search
• Dave started Bleacher Report in 2005
• The site was built around organic search
• The site grew into one of the largest sports media properties in the world because of SEO
3/ Shift to Social
• The next generation of media companies were built around social
• Companies like Buzzfeed built their audience by leveraging social networks such as Facebook
• Companies love to talk about distribution, but owning the audience is more important
1/ John Deere has one of the best communication teams in the world. I did an analysis of how they plan and execute their PR and social strategies.
Thread 👇 👇 👇
2/ John Deere - The Company
• John Deere employs 67,000 employees
• John Deere has offices in over 30 countries
• John Deere has a social media presence in 54 countries
• Since their start in 1867, they've designed over 690 different tractor models
3/ John Deere - The Innovator
• John Deere's roots are in agriculture
• Today, they view, themselves as a technology company fighting for talent with the likes of Facebook
• They even developed a self-driving tractor
• Jen started her career running the Gold Key program at John Deere
• Gold Key provided behind the scene tours to customers
• This taught her the importance of turning customers into brand advocates
• Customers = Storytellers
• @JohnDeere has a small social media team
• Jen runs PR
• Operates in 150 countries
• Focused on governance, structure, and collaboration of the social media team before content creation
• Focus on amplifying brand, customers, and their work
• Patrick played a lot of World of Warcraft
• He ran an 8 person guild, but employers don't care about that
• They do however care about your writing and the traction it receives
• Writing = crediblity
• Don't call it a blog
• Blogging is low signal
• A phrase such as writing memos is high signal