.@NicolleDWallace I just listened to your show. I have some thoughts.
There was much discussion today about the FBI's desire to keep the investigation against the Trumpov completely secret because it would be horrible to affect the election.
I screamed. -thread
2. For the previous two years two branches of the United States government held non-stop theaters of Hillary Investigation.
3. When the FBI closed the investigation, James Comey held a press conference at which he accused and convicted Hillary Clinton, followed by announcing he wouldn't be charging her. Anyway. For some reason.
Apropos nothing I am going to do a brief thread about a word.
From Merriam-Webster online today.
Definition of emolument
1: the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites -more
2. From my 1970 model Webster's New World Dictionary, which I bought new as an adult:
Emolument (skipping over derivation) n. Gain from employement or position; payment received for work; salary, wages, fees, etc. --SYN see wage.
3. The reason I am addressing this word today is that, under the Corruption of Trump, one periodically sees some discussion or writing about whether something he gets in one of his scams is an emolument.
So what is an emolument?
I'm going to pretend that @ggreenwald was asking an actual question here and not just tossing out a whining excuse for a lifetime of cheap-shot journalistic malpractice. What should journalists, if any, have done? thread.
2. First, a journalist would say, "Here's a major event. What is the story here?" Obviously the story was that our nation's oldest and most powerful adversary had stolen a huge amount of political information from both parties in a national election
3. and had elected to selectively release only one party's secrets, and to release them in the most titillating and most disruptive way possible.
Would the story be the contents of the emails?
I'm going to think out loud here.
What is going on is worldwide. Brexit. Bannon. CA. Mercer. Putin. You all know this.
Hungary. Prague. The Seychelles. Prince Three-Letters, pick one of two.
Trump is just our local representative.
2. I don't think that anything like today has happened before in world history. It wouldn't have been possible even in the Reagan era.
It took the intersection of a number of factors, not least the internet.
3. We toss around the word Treason, but that's not it. The right-wingers' bugaboo, the One World Government, the New World Order, has come, and they are it.
I am speaking literally. Obviously this is all opinion.
Y'all tired of the fiasco? Wanna take a walk with me for a while?
We've got this almost-30-acres here. People say, "Do you farm it?"
Har har. A "Farm" in Missouri has a thousand acres and would cost one million dollars minimum.
Before you bought so much as a shovel.
Often there's not a house on it.
But a lot of small holders mess with farm-y stuff, 🐂🐂 and 🐴🐎, 🐏🐑 and🐐🐐. And we did. It was a learning experience.
We make a larger actual profit annually (in terms of nourishing meals eaten) in 30 sq. ft. of sweet potatoes and 5 watermelon plants, but...
2. Quoting someone whose name I have forgotten, "A political party is a fundraising organization built around a philosophy of government." This is a functional, as averse to political, definition, and as such is accurate.
3. Politics is "The art and science of governing." When assholes like McConnell say, "So&so is just playing politics," it is always pejorative. Many Americans have come to view the very idea of politics as dirty.
Here on #MarchForOurLives day I'd like to mention the forgotten victims, the ones who *don't* die. A brief thread.
2. We know the numbers of dead - well, most of us do. My memory is damaged, and the numbers escape me. But - 17 at #MSDStrong . So many at Pulse, so many at Las Vegas, so many here, so many there. The dead ones.
3. But little attention gets paid to those who are shot but live. "So many dead, so many wounded."
The wounded Never. Get. Well. Never.
They get better, but they don't get well.
Have you ever considered the link between the current insane interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, the NRA's marketing propaganda, and police killing innocent citizens? A thread. 1/X
2. The main reason police give for shooting civilians is, "I thought he had a gun." The cop thought his or her life was in danger.
Why would they think that?
3. Well, for starters, most of the thugs, criminals, and self-styled tough guys in the country have guns. So it's not an unrealistic expectation for a cop that whoever he is facing might be, in fact, armed and dangerous.
Has it occurred to you that "we" don't even have a name for ourselves? In modern parlance we don't have a "brand."
They all call themselves Conservative. It's a lie, they're not small-c conservative, but it's their brand. 1/X
Just for a minute pretend you can't see all these trees and look at the fucking forest.
These people - not just Donald Whoozis, but all these gazillionaires, Ryan and McConnell and the assholes on CNN who PUT PEOPLE ON THE AIR TO TELL YOU THE KIDS ARE ACTORS and all of them
Those rat bastards are running this country.
After thirty thousand Americans die in hails of gunfire this year the slaughter won't be over. Because MORE THAN thirty thousand Americans will die of gunfire this year.
And you know what? Many of the gunshot victims who don't die
I've spent most of today with some part of my body enclosed in a cold pack. Which gets me thinking about energy. Everything happens because energy.
That's not some mystic mumbo jumbo, it's basic physics.
Sorry about the interruption. The brains of the outfit called. Where was I...
When we injure ourselves - say when we fall - we import a bunch of energy into ourselves.
If you've seen Black Panther you've seen a fictionalized flashmo example, but
The underlying science is valid. Say, last night when I fell (there's a thread floating around where I tell one story of Life as an Elderly Klutz.) It takes so much energy to lift all this flab into an upright position against gravity.
I'm going to do a thread here that is neither snark nor rant, but rather a policy recommendation thread. I think the United States needs, and Democrats should propose and run on, a National Service Draft.
2. Building on the old concept of, and encompassing, the old Military Draft, I think every able American, and I would define "able" very broadly, is required to perform two years of national service, at crummy pay, and earn lifetime benefits therefrom.
3. We will draw our military from this pool. Besides a military, we have more things that need to be done than can possibly be counted.
Here's how it works in a capitalistic society:
Nothing gets done unless there's money in it.
It is my position that the former United States of America is currently a failed state, as surely as Somalia or Yemen, but much larger. 1/X
I wrote on this topic in December of 2016, between the "election" and the inauguration. Details have changed but in my view where we are today is an evolution of where we were then. nopackagedeals.com/2016/12/23/ung…
3. The single most basic function of any government is to establish a monopoly on violence. No one except the government is permitted to commit violence on citizens.
This ideal can never be fully realized, BUT
A few thoughts on Russia, time, Trumpov and the most recent indictments.
I do not, and have never, believed either that Trumpov brought Russia into our elections nor that it just began in 2016.
You may have seen my old essays on the topic, this one nopackagedeals.com/2016/12/15/cou…
I am in a bleak and horrible mood.
I hate the United States of America. I hate the plutocracy. I hate the Republicans who are in positions of power. If sheer hatred could kill they would all die today.
I hate, hatred. I wish to never experience it, and if I do, to never admit it, even to myself. The one absolute hatred of my life has always been toward the colonel who condemned my beloved friend Lee Finley to death for no reason.
Lee didn't die alone. All but one of the listening post he was on that night died before sunrise; the survivor played dead while the NVA searched his body.
He drank himself to death over the next few decades.
Every year for Black History Month I get black history books at the appropriate reading level for my student J.
His understanding of time, history, and the facts of the stories is limited. 1/X
2. I don't know exactly how much clicks and how much slides off. His disability makes him grasp things at a different rate and in different ways than I do. And his life, as a disabled black man from a very poor family, is so different from my comfortable white existence.
3. His great grandmother and primary care giver is old, even from my perspective, and reminds me in many ways of my gracious old rural white kinfolk. She lives a type of grace and courtesy nearly unheard of in the 21st Century.
Some thoughts about means of communication.
Email is no longer of much use.
2. I've had one main email address for years now. It becomes your username a thousand places, and it's a major pain in the ass to change it.
I've been riding the internet since before it was born, back in the Compuserve days.
3. And everybody wants your email address. It's better than your Social Security number for knowing your real life. Somebody with your email address and a high level over data mining skills knows everything there is to know about you.
2. I have attempted for the past 2½ years to get *any* Republican to address this. They choose not to. In our current money media environment it is easy for them to do so. nopackagedeals.com/2017/07/23/gov…
3. After all, Media Stars are exactly like Rock Stars. Their stardom places them above mere American commoners. They stand in the Altar of Cable and speak down to all others. nopackagedeals.com/2017/07/23/gov…