I’ve had dozens of inquiries about shin splints, hamstring injuries, and generally injury-prone sprint groups in this, our first pandemic track season.
The view from 30,000 feet... “Why does this surprise us?”
Contributing factors (thread)
1) For some kids, it was nearly 5️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ days since their last track meet.
2) Sprinting is the most EXTREME exercise in the human experience.
3) Running is not sprinting.
4) Many of our best male athletes spent the LONG off-season as body-builders.
5) 🏋️♀️ and body armor are critical for injury prevention in collision sports. However, body-building, weight gain, and flex-posing 💪 are recipes for ⬆️ exposure to many non-contact injuries. Strong muscles can put ⬆️ stress on connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, bones, etc) ⬇️