- He says he wants water, but he's going through drawers (looking for a knife)
- He has a gun, but a knife is quieter
- Who cares about noise? He does - that's why he closed the window
- In the last 2 years, more Americans died from gunshot wounds than were killed during the entire Vietnam war
- Number of young men shot dead in a year in Japan = one weekend in NYC
- Armed robbery in US 100x higher than Japan
- 20000 new guns every day
Women visit ERs for injuries caused by a partner more often than for injuries from car accidents, robberies and rapes COMBINED.
Love is dangerous, ya'll.
The stories in #WhyIDidntReport make me wonder how many more years have been lost to stress, pain and trauma.
watching it happen is horrifying. realise that it happens more times than you can imagine. realise that it often ends differently.
"My plan had been to take the child out of the house, but I abandoned that and told her to stay in bed. At 2yo, she probably didn't understand... but I was 10."
A man walks into a convenience store, felt fear, turned around and walked right out. Moments later, a police officer walks in and is shot dead by an armed robber.
Why did he leave? What did he see?
- The customer was wearing a big, heavy jacket (it's hot out, he's hiding a shotgun)
- Only one other car in the lot, two men, engine running
- Two cars instead of one (less suspicious)
- Probably saw relief on the clerk's face, not fear
- As an 'expert', he might've ignored signals in favor of prior knowledge (armed robberies are more likely to happen at night)
People say "my dog doesn't like X person", when reality is that they don't like X, the dog picks up on that.
"No animal in the wild suddenly overcome with fear would [think], 'It's probably nothing.'"
- Why do we know more about why a man buys a particular brand of shaving lotion than about why he buys a gun?
- Why do we care more about a famous person attacked by a stalker than the fact that a woman is killed by a stalking spouse once every two hours?
A young child is being prepped for a minor surgery. He's usually talkative but this doctor is abrupt, unpleasant. His mother's intuition screams at her to cancel the operation. She doesn't. He dies.