My plan for upgradation and expansion of the Indian Railway network:

1. Build about 15,000 km of 200-250 kmph lines to cover the GQ and it's diagonals & link other major cities. About half of this will be by upgrading the existing lines and half as new lines. Total estimated..
...cost: About INR 5.0 lakh crore over a period of 7 to 10 yrs.

2. No more DFCs. Complete the ongoing Eastern and Western DFCs and use them (with some modifications) for carrying freight & slow passenger trains.

3. Drop all ongoing surveys and feasibility studies to build..
... Bullet Train lines. India does not need and will not be able to afford Bullet Train lines for at least next 15 yrs, by when improved technologies like Maglev are likely to be available for speed more than 250 kmph.

This plan also entails:

1. Massive upgradation of the...
.... freight trains stock to run all freight trains on the 200-250 kmph lines at 100-160 kmph.

2. An Extensive plan to skill IR's manpower for the higher speed O&M.

3. Extensive indigenisation to manufacture new rolling stock for 200-250 kmph, including tilting trains.
In a democracy, it is essential that there be a open public debate on major public spending & projects.

But, in our country even mega projects that could have far reaching implications for the socioeconomic activities in the courtry are decided without any public participation..
... What should be happening is that before decision is taken by the Govt to implement a scheme or project, all important details of the scheme/plan/DPR should be made public so that the knowledgeable citizens, members of the civil society, and people and businesses likely to...
...be affected by the plan/project can offer their views. The state and local governments should also be asked their views.

If this is done, the vast pool of knowledge, experience & information that might be available in the country can be effectively used for the public good.
... Over the last 30 yrs, the major economies of the world, including China, have promoted rail transport by raising speed and adding lines to reduce travel by car and airplanes. This was necessary to reduce air pollution, carbon emissions and diversion of land.

But, in India..
.. rail transport has suffered with no increase in speed and severe capacity constraints.

India, with its extremely high population density, low per capita income and long distances can not afford to neglect rlys.

Just top 2 to 3% of the people in India can afford travel by...
...car or airplane. Rest have no option but the excruciatingly slow trains.

India is among countries with worst economic inequality. This will worsen if mobility of the vast majority continues to be compromised so badly...

India must engage in a healthy public debate on this.
15,000 km of 200-250 kmph lines will cover the entire 9890 km of the GQ & 5,110 km additional lines to link to the GQ the cities such as Bangalore, Hyderabad, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram, Mangalore, Indore, Guwahati, Amritsar, Dehradun, Varanasi, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Patna, etc.
A few clarifications regarding terms used for high speed lines.

Globally following terms are used:

300-250 kmph: Dedicated High Speed Rail or just High Speed Rail

200-250 kmph: Classic High Speed Rail or Conventional High Speed Rail

160 to less than 200 kmph:Semi-High Speed
..In above, please read 300-250 kmph as 300-350 kmph: Globally following terms are used:

300-350 kmph: Dedicated High Speed Rail or just High Speed Rail

200-250 kmph: Classic High Speed Rail or Conventional High Speed Rail

160 kmph & above but < 200 kmph: Semi-High Speed

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Trains Are Best, Alok Kumar Verma, IRSE (Retd)

Trains Are Best, Alok Kumar Verma, IRSE (Retd) Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @trains_are_best

May 18
THREAD

Vande Bharat train is the symbol of Narendra Modi's flawed & failed vision for the country's transportation infrastructure

The Vision;

6+ Lane Expressways criss-crossing the country

400 new airports

A separate network of 20,000 km of Bullet Train & Semi Highspeed..
..lines on the alien Standard Gauge & a network of Dedicated Freight Corridors

Performance:

New E-ways were built at scorching pace but failed to improve public transport by buses.

Some new airports were built in tier 2 cities but failed to generate..

..demand.

The plan for a host of new Bullet Train lines like the line to Varanasi via Ayodhya & Semi Highspeed lines like the Kerala Silverline came crashing down as the idea of building these lines on SG - elevated on pillars - proved to be extremely costly: 10 to 15 times..
Read 8 tweets
Jan 15, 2023
What a 20+ yr bonfire of public money!

When completed it will be:

World's costliest single line: > INR 30,000 crore to cross a distance of 50 km (So > INR 600 cr per km.

World's most unstable & unsafe line: How long will the tunnels, bridges & cutting built in crushed rocks..
..glued & stitched together stand?

Will Rly Bd obtain safety clearance from the Commissioner of Railway Safety or a committee of its junior officers as it did for the Lumding-Silchar line in 2015?

Truly an engineering marvel in the distorted imagination of Rly Board!?

The..
..progress was 90% in 2018 - How many more yrs to complete work at Sumber, Sangaldan, Br 60, Anji Bridge, Tunnel 1 & 14 & the culvert at Bakkal?

Won't this line be like those multi-storied hotels of Joshimath - built on a sinking slope - that are being demolished right now?
Read 9 tweets
Jan 14, 2023
Is development incompatible with preservation of the Himalayas?

Certainly not.

Actually, this is not the right question that many, including media, seem to be asking in the aftermath of the Joshimath tragedy.

The question should be: Are we adopting the right technological..
..options?

This was the question which I examined while framing my proposal for changing the alignment of the Kashmir Rail Link project. This is also what I examined while dealing with the Railway's alignment for the line to Leh, Ladakh and the Char Dham lines, & also the plan..
..for Kerala Silverline.

For towns & cities like Joshimath, we need a separate building code for the Himalayas, & instead of building wide highways we should build a network of MG & NG railway lines, as in Switzerland, Australia etc.

I will deal with this in detail shortly.
Read 4 tweets
Jan 13, 2023
Thread

My new bio

I saved the country from 3 incredibly wrong & wasteful projects & two ruinous policies of building highspeed lines on Standard Gauge & DFCs. But 7 projects continue.

I was the first to raise the above issues & pursued them ceaselessly against all odds .. ImageImageImageImage
..This endeavour is a work in progress because Rly Board may try to revive these projects & policies: Officially there is no clear announcement of their abrogation.

The 7 projects that continue are the projects to build the lines in the Himalayas in Kashmir, Uttarakhand & .. ImageImageImageImage
..the North East.

The projects that have been shelved after my intervention are the projects to build the line to Leh in Ladakh, the Char Dham lines & the Kerala Silverline.

Although we are rid of lines on Standard Gauge & more DFCs, a lot remains to..

Read 10 tweets
Jan 12, 2023
RISHIKESH -KARNAPRAYAG RLY PROJECT: Three More Reports of Cracks in Houses and Ground Subsidence

Since I wrote two days back, I have come across reports of cracks & subsidence at 3 more locations:

I) About 40 houses affected at Marora village..

timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/dehradun/…
..near Rudraprayag.

2. About 100 houses (224 families) affected at Sweeth Village in Pauri district where a 13.5 km long tunnel is being excavated.

3. There are reports of cracks in houses & ground subsidence at Srinagar town also where another long..

..tunnel is under construction.

These reports are of serious concern because this line requires construction of about 110 km of tunnels at shallow depth in weak, highly crushed and folded rock strata..

A thorough investigation of both the immediate..

pressreader.com/india/hindusta…
Read 5 tweets
Nov 29, 2022
The Wasteland of Kerala Silverline

So the Kerala Govt has now officially stopped wanton expenditure of taxpayer money on the fictitious plan for Kerala Silverline.

People of Kerala must be feeling relieved after 3 anxious years

As I wrote in my open..

newsable.asianetnews.com/india/kerala-g…
..letter to the Minister of Railway, just 2 days before the above order was issued by Kerala Govt, the cause of this deceptive & fraudulent plan's existence is that Rly Bd granted In-principle Approval based on a thoroughly fabricated Feasibility Report..

..which KRDCL hurriedly submitted to Borad in June'2019 just 3 months after the Preliminary Feasibility Report (which was prepared under my guidance) stronly advising KRDCL against the plan was given to KRDCL

Worse, Rly Bd has doomed many mega projects..

Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(