- tweet and go deep on differentiated insights
- respond to everyone
- reach out to people with <10k followers I thought were undervalued
- hop on too many last minute flights
With no info rights and only public data, I learned as I went. Combined with Twitter, the fantasy portfolios helped me break into VC.
Branding is key to being a successful VC, so I always knew I’d eventually expand beyond Twitter.
Next step: writing long-form content.
I set up my Substack in Sept '19 and leveraged the 5.8k Twitter followers I'd built up over 2 years to get my first 45 subs 👇
I put a link in my bio to get to 180 over the next 8 months.
This first piece on TikTok kicked things off by recapping my thoughts from Twitter
I think charging skews my incentives: I want to be compensated for investing, not gathering an audience.
- write things people actually want to read and share
- collaborate with others
- keep it free, forever
- add to the investment team and help them build their own platform