#Newsnight digs up a clip of @David_Cameron (then PM) saying that lobbying was "the next big scandal waiting to happen".

Oops.

#Greensill
@David_Cameron .@campbellclaret on #Newsnight, saying that Johnson and his ministers regularly break all 7 of the #NolanPrinciples - and he finds it "scary" that no one seems, with this government, to care very much about those breaches of public standards, or to view them as scandals.
@David_Cameron @campbellclaret Prof Elizabeth David-Barrett says on #Newsnight that the matters around Cameron/Arcuri are not so much about rule-breaking as "declining [public] standards".

And she gives examples, including those around (lack of) transparency.

@JolyonMaugham @GoodLawProject
@David_Cameron @campbellclaret @JolyonMaugham @GoodLawProject .@CharlesWalkerMP on #Newsnight - possibly a little milk-deprived - may be the only person in the UK coming out batting for Cameron, on the basis that 'a former PM's gotta have a life, and gotta be able to earn a crust'.

Astonishing tin-eared nonsense.
@David_Cameron @campbellclaret @JolyonMaugham @GoodLawProject @CharlesWalkerMP .@vincecable says on #Newsnight that there is an accountability and transparency deficit at the heart of UK politics, and sets out why.

#Greensill #Arcuri #Cameron
@David_Cameron @campbellclaret @JolyonMaugham @GoodLawProject @CharlesWalkerMP @vincecable Here is @maitlis's monologue from #Newnight on public standards.

Clear, concise, compelling.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with @littlegravitas@c.im 🇺🇦 🇪🇺 🇮🇱 🇵🇸 #FBPE

@littlegravitas@c.im 🇺🇦 🇪🇺 🇮🇱 🇵🇸 #FBPE Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LittleGravitas

Mar 11
.@RishiSunak @michaelgove

I take it that this, by biggest @Conservatives donor Frank Hester, would be caught by your new ’extremist’ definitions and policy?

And that you will be cutting links and returning all his donations?

@CassHorowitz @JMSellers93 @Richolden @oliverdowden Image
@RishiSunak @michaelgove @Conservatives @CassHorowitz @JMSellers93 @RicHolden @OliverDowden It gets worse.

Disown him, NOW.

@RishiSunak @michaelgove @Conservatives @CassHorowitz @JMSellers93 @RicHolden @OliverDowden @metpoliceuk

I am reporting Mr Hester to you [see thread above] for investigation into this as a Racist Hate Crime.

cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance…
Read 18 tweets
Mar 2
Some days, as an immigrant to Spain who loves the food and its approach to it, I just despair.

’Pork Pie Exceptionalism’, post-Brexit.

(And Spanish sausages have much less non-meat filler. And are better value.)

Comed productes locales, joder. Image
3/3

And, by the way, NFEU is not the point.

Bloody leaving the EU •is•.

If you want to have a diet rich in pork pies and Scotch eggs, and would prefer those to arr`os negre, galtes de porc and callos a la madrileña - best you stay in the UK. Image
Read 4 tweets
Feb 5
.@RishiSunak

Yes, let's lay a bet, shall we, on whether you can deport at least one forrin to a despotic regime in Africa before the next GE.

Gonna use a word I use sparingly here:

You're a total 𝑐 𝑢 𝑛 𝑡.

@CassHorowitz @JMSellers93
@RishiSunak @CassHorowitz @JMSellers93 And, when you lose the bet, Sunak, £½-billionaire, I guess you'll put the £1K on expenses?
Read 4 tweets
Jan 21
@antartica81 @fascinatorfun Free to view, at ft.com/video/bd19b92f…
@antartica81 @fascinatorfun And here (1/n) is the transcript:

Is democracy fragile and easily destroyed, or flexible and resilient? We may be about to find out. The planet heats, the clock ticks, and with each increase in temperature, world harvests shrink, famines loom, and fire and flood impact millions.
@antartica81 @fascinatorfun 2/n

When a government fails to deliver basic necessities the result is either the toppling of power or a brutal crackdown. So says history. Democracy, by Margaret Atwood.
Read 18 tweets
Dec 1, 2023
.@chrisgreybrexit is compelling today on Labour and Brexit.

He even does an extended footnote on a referendum for (re)joining the Single Market.

And there's the wonderful phrase, too [commenter, last week's post]: "shrinkflated cupcakeism", to enjoy!

chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2023/12/should…
@chrisgreybrexit 2/2

Excerpts. But *please* do read the whole piece!!

chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2023/12/should…

@chrisgreybrexit PS:

I see that @anandMenon1 comments today on the @paulwaugh piece which Chris mentions in

🧵: chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2023/12/should…
Read 4 tweets
Nov 26, 2023
@NicholasTyrone 1/2

Tell me you've not lived in Spain, without saying you've not lived in Spain.

I like the shops here being closed Sundays, festivals, and (mostly) between c 2-5 pm.

It imparts a pattern to the day/week.

It reminds you that pausing matters (customers and shop workers)...
@NicholasTyrone 2/2

That said, it's a cultural thing, and it would not export well. In fact it's under pressure to change here too.

A +ve: it gives rise to periods where consuming is not all. It is part and parcel of quite a localist and home-cooking, anti-UPF, Spanish agenda.

I value it.
@NicholasTyrone PS:

UPF = 'ultra-processed food'.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(