Simeon Schmauß Profile picture
Apr 6, 2021 6 tweets 2 min read Read on X
A little while ago I spotted this Dust Devil in the LCAM images that @NASAPersevere captured during the landing phase on Sol 0.
It therefore is the first ever Dust Devil seen by the mission - before it even touched down.
Here is the full sequence, like the other clip playing 20 times faster than real time.
As the rover descends we get a more sideward view on it, so the funnel structure becomes quite obvious.
I approximated its speed to 8.5 m/s, based on this line it traveled in about 34 seconds
I discovered this by shear luck, by reprojecting the video on the terrain, to sort of stabilize it. Having all the images aligned this way I noticed the Dust Devil as a little smudge moving across the terrain.
With this technique I also stabilized the heatshield impact

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Simeon Schmauß

Simeon Schmauß Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @stim3on

Feb 14
On Sol 1059 #Ingenuity rotated it's blades for the first time after the fateful Flight 72.
And guess what, one of the blades is (almost) entirely missing!
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
We have most likely already seen this blade in the Mastcam-Z images. It landed in the sand, roughly 15m away from the helicopter.
I already suspected this may have happened based on earlier images. However, the shadow of this missing blade would have been mostly obscured by the shadow of the solar panel, so we didn't know for sure.
Read 4 tweets
Jan 1
With the amazing images coming back from Juno's flyby of Io, I finally took a stab at processing some JunoCam images. This image shows Io's north polar region from 2839km distance.

Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Simeon Schmauß flic.kr/p/2ppYk8v
Half lit image of the Jupiter Moon Io showing a mostly brownish surface. Sharp mountains stand out against the otherwise smooth surface and cast long shadows along the terminator line. Black lava flows are scattered around on the surface. The shadowed side of the moon is dimly lit by Jupiter and was slightly brightened during processing.   Credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / SwRI / MSSS / Simeon Schmauß
@NASAJPL @NASASolarSystem I processed this image from the individual framelets, which I preprocessed with a python script and then assembled in PTGui.
This allowed me to retain the complete horizon which is often lost with JunoCam images.
screenshot of PTGui. A source framelet is displayed with control points placed on it for alignment.
the red channel of the Io image in PTGui with red lines indicating the stitching between the individual framelets.
@NASAJPL @NASASolarSystem I also developed a color calibration for the JunoCam filters based on the CIE1931 color system. This allowed me to process the image in approximate true colors as the human eye would see them.
Read 7 tweets
Feb 28, 2022
@65dbNoise @AllThings3DPod @NASAPersevere Even though my flat is already a bit older it still calibrated the Flight 18 image very well - Flight 20 not so much. After calibration there is still some more vignetting towards the edges of the frame. The color difference is as you say at least related to the sun angle.
@65dbNoise @AllThings3DPod @NASAPersevere Also, my flat could be somewhat biased as I created the color gradient correction with images that were taken flying in other directions with different sun angles.
@65dbNoise @AllThings3DPod @NASAPersevere Now, where it really gets curious for me is when we look at the images that were taken while the helicopter was grounded, specifically those on "sol 302 and 320".
Quotation marks because these are the same pictures - on different days.
Read 17 tweets
Aug 2, 2021
@kevinmgill @thomas_appere I gave my flat reengineering another go just now and think I arrived at a pretty satisfactory result.
I used those two images from flight 9 as input, one is the original raw, the other one is from the NASA article.
@kevinmgill @thomas_appere In Gimp I first multiplied the raw image by the average of the corrected image and then divided this by the corrected image. The result should be quite close to the original flat used by the imaging team.
@kevinmgill @thomas_appere However, probably due to a slight contrast adjustment, there are still residuals of some image features left. To correct this I used the Dynamic Background Exctraction process in PixInsight to sample my flat in regular intervals, except for the residual areas:
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(