Emily Eby French Profile picture
Apr 8, 2021 27 tweets 9 min read Read on X
Okay, both Dade Phelan and Dan Patrick invited us to point to places in #HB6/#SB7 where there is voter suppression.
So here's a thread of me doing that in SB7.
First, the restriction on 24-hour voting: Image
Second, the vote-by-mail gag rule: Image
Third, the free reign of poll watchers: Image
Fourth, the poll-watcher-as-filmmaker: Image
Fifth, the new form for voter assistants: Image
Sixth, the new formula for polling places (but only in counties with lot of BIPOC): Image
Seventh, restrictions on drive-thru voting: Image
Eighth, also restrictions on drive-thru voting! Image
Ninth, rule against donations to help run elections: Image
Tenth, the new fine for registrars: Image
Eleventh, making SURE that no one is voting conveniently: Image
Twelfth, this one's for the indicted AG: Image
See Dade and Dan? I can point to voter suppression in these bills. See Briscoe? I have read them! What's the next talking point on your list?
Adding these images again down here with image descriptions! Thank you to @s_m_i and @regmack_ for reminding me to do it and teaching me how 💕 Pics 1, 2, 3, and 4: White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...
Pics 5, 6, 7, and 8: White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...
And pics 9, 10, 11, and 12: White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...White woman on Google Chrom...
I wasn't going to do HB6. Really, I wasn't. A lot of it is the same as SB7! But then the author of HB6 was rude to me on Twitter, so...
Here's me pointing to voter suppression in HB6.
First, the "justification" for the whole bill: White woman lying down and ...
Second, making election workers criminals if they try to help voters: White woman pointing to Sec...
Third, making regular humans criminals if they try to help voters: White woman pointing to Sec...
Fourth, making it a crime to -have watchers removed- by... anyone: White woman pointing at Sec...
Fifth, your classic* vote-by-mail gag rule: White woman pointing to Sec...
Sixth, making it harder for voters to bring in assistants: White woman pointing to Sec...
Seventh, not even a High School Musical jump can liven up the danger of poll watchers run amok: White woman jumping and poi...
Eighth, idk if y'all heard this but apparently all Texas counties are the same: White woman pointing to Sec...
You may be confused when you try to look up HB6 and what I've pointed out is slightly different from what you can find online. That's because I'm screenshotting the current version of the bill, which is... somehow not available online yet?
Also, there is a solid chance that the bill author jumps on Twitter to say that I'm lying to you about what is in this bill. Maybe his reading is different. But if I can read it this way, a court can too, and interpretation is ten-tenths of the law.
In conclusion, DON'T BE RUDE TO ME ON TWITTER DOT COM

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Emily Eby French

Emily Eby French Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @emilyebytx

May 25, 2022
LET’S GO!!!!!!! This is it!!!!!! No more norms baby!!!! No more lame-ass press conferences!!!! It is In Your Face SUMMER!!!!!
My mood watching this!!!!
I would like to buy a round for the entire Beto team rn, mad props to everyone on the staff who had this idea and/or supported it
Read 4 tweets
Jan 13, 2022
The TX voter suppression bill became law on December 2, 2021. How will your 2022 voting experience look different because of it? Let's do a thread. 🧵
Think of voting in Texas as a board game. The rules are that you have to draw a bunch of challenge cards at every single space, and if you make it to the end, you get to have a say in your democracy. SB1 was an expansion pack, featuring a bunch of new challenge cards. Let's play! Image is of a colorful board game with a player chip on &quo
Here's the bill itself. You've heard it called HB6/SB7, then it was SB1, then it was SB1 again. Now it's just the voter suppression law. capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/872/bi…
Read 15 tweets
Aug 7, 2021
Okay, as we prepare to embark upon a new special session (sigh), I wanna rant about two of my frustrations that came up in the last one. I call them the Zero Fallacy and the Jesus Monopoly.
On July 10, there was a 14-hour Senate hearing on SB 1, the voter suppression bill. I testified in hour 12, but I watched the whole thing.
At one point, Sen. Nelson decided to pull from the Heritage Playbook and ask this question. This question is mind-numbingly stupid, and they ask it all the time.
Read 20 tweets
Jul 23, 2021
The thing about this graphic is that it's SUPER misleading. Let's fill it in, but make it fun with: Marvel Heroes Who'd Lose The Right to Vote Under HB3, a thread.
Half-truth: HB3 adds voting time.
Whole truth: HB3 restricts early voting time to between 6AM to 10PM. Counties MAY expand time, but only as early as 6 or as late as 10. 14 hours is less than 24.
This is Natasha. Natasha works long hours and late nights. Under HB3, she won't be able to vote on her way home from a job at midnight, or before she clocks in to bust bad guys at 5AM. No vote for Black Widow.
Read 23 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(