Cameron Sewell Profile picture
Apr 8, 2021 8 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Might as well make a little "Artbook Recommendation" on the subject of that last tweet. The 4-book "Full Metal Jacket" series, published by Asahi Sonorama in the late 80's. Each book featuring a different artist, but all sharing the theme of mecha short comics + artwork.
Only have 3 of the 4 myself, but the featured artists are: Jun Suemi, Tomoaki Okada , Kow Yokoyama, and Makoto Kobayashi.
It's amazing seeing how they all approach making / structuring comics differently, it's hard not to recommend if you like mecha.
#1: Capel Donya's Iron Knight [カペルドーニャの鉄騎士]
I was admittedly more familiar with Jun Suemi's paintings, but her comics definitely have that painter's touch. Defining form through heavy contrast more often than fine lines/details, very striking artwork & use of ink!
#2: Stardust in a Bottle
Tomoaki Okada by contrast, is VERY detail oriented. I'm a sucker for mechanical detail, so this was definitely up my alley.😅I wasn't very familiar with Okada's work before reading this at the time, so it was a nice surprise!
#3: Robot Battle V [ロボットバトルV]
(Images from Zimmerit & auction listings)
If you're not familiar with Ma.K or Yokoyama's work, then expect very grungy, muddy, worn down mecha and machines that feel like they came out of some alternate WWII. Hard to get a copy, sadly.
#4: Dragon's Heaven
Easily the most recognized of the series, as this would later go on to become the Dragon's Heaven OVA in 1988.
Starts with a fun multi-page Moebius/Arzach tribute, and filled with Kobayashi's uniquely weird but equally appealing mecha designs.
And that's all 4! Hope a few people found any of that interesting, they're really cool books and worth checking out! Here's a few more images, but otherwise I'll quit clogging up the timeline with this 🤖
(Apologies I didn't use my own photos for this one, don't have a personal copy to do so. In retrospect, should I remove this post?)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cameron Sewell

Cameron Sewell Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Thdark101

Apr 8, 2021
Brain desperately wants to see scans of an artbook from the 80's, but all of my usual places/research methods are failing me, and the book is like $200... the search continues
The book in question : Robot Battle V / ロボットバトルV
I somehow naively assumed it would be readily available to read.
While I dream about it, it's primarily a collection of comics and art by Kow Yokoyama. Part of a 4 part series of books called "Series : Full Metal Jacket", each featuring a different artist, with comics and art all focusing around mecha.
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(