Eric Feigl-Ding Profile picture
Apr 12, 2021 18 tweets 9 min read Read on X
The most important vaccine in Latin America—SinoVac’s CoronaVac reports new trial results from Brazil 🇧🇷—

Efficacy against symptomatic #COVID19–50.7%. Moderate & severe: 83.7% / 100%. Delayed 2nd dose no issue. Neut. titres lower in age>=60 against #P1.🧵
papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cf… Image
2) Results 12,396 people randomized in Brazil. It seems 2nd dose efficacy wasn’t much diff than 14 days after 1st dose. And delaying 2nd dose didn’t seem to hurt. And a second dose >21 days actually showed no drop in efficacy. ImageImage
3) As for lab antibody neutralization titres, vaccinated people had no real difference for seroconverting (having antibodies) against different variants. That said, among those who seroconverted, neutralization titres was lower among those age 60 and above against #P1 🇧🇷 variant. Image
4) Overall though, there was no real efficacy difference by age. But keep in mind — this trial was mostly conducted months ago before the large nationwide surge of the #P1 across Brazil 🇧🇷—this trial enrolled people July-Dec 2020, & likely didn’t capture much of #P1 March surge. Image
5) Across comorbidities, it was similar. Though a hint of a diff efficacy among CVD patients. Image
6) Local adverse reactions was higher (normal). But systemic adverse reactions were not higher. Image
7) As shown here, almost all adverse reactions were local to injection site, not systemic. Image
8) But there was oddly a significantly 13% relative higher relative rate of cardiovascular disease in the vaccine group (70.5% vs 62.3%) among those with comorbidities. What’s up with that? There was no discussion in the paper. It seems to maybe mix prevalence + new incidence? Image
9) I don’t know what to make of the slightly higher obesity in vaccines. Again, the % is high, so maybe it mixed both existing prevalence plus new onset? This needs an explanation. Image
10) And to be clear—the authors say #P1 was not observed in the study (like I said before, trial was mostly before the nationwide surge). Only #P2 (the other Brazil 🇧🇷 variant) was observed. Image
11) But good news is that seroconversion was equal between the variants. It’s could be because CoronaVac is an inactivated virus—ie full presentation of (dead) virus, not just the spike protein. Some experts theorize this could make CoronaVac better against variants. Unclear. Image
12) Yes, the 50% efficacy is much lower than the 95% efficacy seen with mRNA vaccines. But maybe the redeeming quality maybe that inactivated vaccine could be better against variants! We’ll see.
apnews.com/article/beijin…
13) To be fair, the trial results do confirm another observational study (not trial) in Manaus when it had 75% #P1. It also found 50% efficacy. However it dropped to 35% when asymptomatic cases added. See 🧵 below.
14) Previously, SinoVac reported 83.5% efficacy in Turkish trial. And 65% efficacy in Indonesia rural. reuters.com/article/health…
15) I do want to point out that efficacy could differ a lot across vaccines due to other reasons like local spread and by type of vaccines. For mRNA ones— Pfizer & Moderna, they reported difference neutralization (not efficacy) by variants. #P1 was moderately poor. #B1351 worst.
16) CoronaVac has also previously reported favorable immune results in kids 3-17. “antibody levels triggered by Sinovac’s CoronaVac were higher than those seen in adults aged 18 to 59 and in elderly people in earlier clinical trials”

google.com/amp/s/mobile.r…
17) Wanna know what is better than merely Phase 1/2 results? Real efficacy results of ~100% in teenagers 12-15 for Pfizer!

Even better? Hopefully FDA approval soon!
18) CoronaVac is so all over the place. Here is a Chilean study.

“protection with only 1 dose is estimated to be 3%; for those with 2 doses with less than 14 days is 27.7%; and 56.5% effectiveness for those who have the second dose more than 14 days ago.” emol.com/noticias/Nacio…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Eric Feigl-Ding

Eric Feigl-Ding Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrEricDing

Jun 12
⚠️SURGING COVID cases & hospitalizations in Madrid, Spain🇪🇸—hospitalizations for COVID has now exceeded also 2022-2023. This is the globally surging KP3 variant (US too)—it is highly evasive against past immunity—you’re not immune. Take preventive action.
comunidad.madrid/sites/default/…

2) New York City’s COVID cases are also increasing, as noted by @emmagf. June is not normal cold and flu season at all. This shows that this KP3 surging despite non-flu season means it’s a troublemaker. Image
@emmagf 3) Hawaii’s ERs also have gotten slammed hard by an off-season COVID surge. This isn’t normal at all for June. This is why we need to be on alert. Image
Read 7 tweets
Jun 11
📍Breaking—MASK BAN PASSED AGAIN—North Carolina Republicans have again voted to pass a new ban on mask wearing. Only a weak partial medical exemption added for PUBLIC areas—but, on private properties, like at grocery stores or at a workplace, the bill now says people can still be “REQUIRED TO REMOVE MASKS” if demanded by employer or owner (your health be damned). But, thank goodness Halloween masks will still be allowed.
motherjones.com/politics/2024/…Image
2) “Many healthcare professionals have expressed concerns that their patients would not be able to stay safe against the spread of Covid-19 and other infectious diseases.” Image
3) the scary thing is that “The bill, which was drafted in response to people wearing masks at Pro-Palestinian protests, can be passed by the General Assembly **even if Democratic Governor Roy Cooper vetoes** it through an override.”
Read 8 tweets
Jun 11
⚠️Our future cancer risks of #COVID are emerging and likely real. SarsCOV2 induces several of the same carcinogenic cellular changes as other viruses known to cause cancers. Most cancers take 10-20 years to fully emerge (eg 🚬 or HPV-cervical), but some cancers may emerge sooner.
2) “We are completely under-investigating this virus,” said Douglas C. Wallace, a University of Pennsylvania geneticist. “The effects of repeatedly getting this throughout our lives is going to be much more significant than people are thinking.”
wapo.st/3Rox991
3) We know from studies that Long COVID disease burden is already on par with the burden of heart disease and cancer. Now imagine if LC further stacks additional risks to these other major disease burdens in the decades to come.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 10
Cool time lapse of a dozen rapid Covid tests—by @jeremyfaust over 11 days. Staggeringly high viral load = rapid bright test line. CDC would have said it’s okay to go out on day 2. What a load of crap, and every epidemiologist I know agrees. #COVIDisnotover
2) this is why I’ve been adamant that @CDCDirector Cohen has morally abdicated CDC’s duty to disease “control and prevention” with her horrible leadership. And yes she was on board with this—she was at the press conference for relaxing Covid rules.
3) here is the full story about how @CDCDirector Cohen has just about done the worst thing to torpedo @CDCgov’s normally stellar reputation. More than Walensky and more than Trump CDC director Redfield.
Read 4 tweets
Jun 9
📝PERSONAL NOTE—Sometimes I share info that might be unpopular to some. For example, stocking up on certain antiviral flu medications (which FDA does allow for prevention & stopping transmission even if you’re not sick—so much poor info/misinfo from a few ignorant MDs)… But many experts know in their hearts they would do for their own family secretly/quietly, but would tell others not to, or would keep what they do a SECRET. Examples:

📌During early pandemic—many MD’s stockpiled CASELOADS of expensive COVID tests for holiday parties—but told nobody outside their family/friend circles about the strategy.

📌Many doctors & their friends stocked up on Paxlovid or Flu medicines or Antibiotics BEFORE GOING ON VACATION because they knew it was a good idea, but ashamed to tell anyone they did it for themselves.

📌Many doctors wanted to wait for Novavax or got extra shot of Novavax or extra vaccine booster shot for themselves and their family above/beyond FDA/CDC recommendations, and then told nobody.

📌Many doctors obtain Plan B, plus countless other medications for their own family just in case.

📌Or bought all their friends at work HEPA FILTERS / upgrading the ventilation systems for all rooms, but all the while, turned around and told the public at same time that “COVID IS NOT AIRBORNE”—➡️oh wait that last one wasn’t a person, it was actually just Geneva HQ office of the WHO being hypocrites (yes, they did this!!)

💡But I am a no bullshit guy. I will tell the public the PRECAUTIONARY thing that many experts are thinking/doing even if is sometimes unpopular or if they are doing it quietly for their own family. Yet some people are mad at me for “talking about the Emperor’s New Clothes” and lifting the veil on the insider world of many doctors and experts doing for their own family. But some claim that I’m supposedly a bad person for sharing such info? I’m just a messenger—don’t shoot the PUBLIC HEALTH messenger please.

(SIDE NOTE #1—I didn’t go against any FDA/CDC rules since preventive prescribing and prophylactic use is allowed for flu antivirals)

(SIDE NOTE #2—I was personally invited by senior WHO officials to Geneva in 2021 when offices mostly closed except to senior/critical staff. I saw and was told stuff most people in the world have not seen/heard. So please don’t lecture me about what about rules being bent during the pandemic.)
2) For those wanting to know the context of the above… please read the FULL THREAD 🧵below why getting a few extra flu antiviral medications might be a good idea… again read the full thread for full context.
3) I also emphasized that there is no need to lie / you should not lie to your doctor. CDC/FDA does allow for prophylactic use. And this famous trial proved that Tamiflu for PREVENTION worked well for stopping transmission & preventing illnesses. But many MD’s ignorant of this.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 8
💡LISTEN UP—I would start STOCKPILING these flu medicines (xofluza, relenza, Tamiflu) for your family STARTING NOW. If bird flu is ever human-to-human transmissible… you will regret it when near-certain shortage hits. (Many epidemiologists/MD friends all agree & already started)

2) Yes these are all prescription flu medicines. You need a prescription. I’m saying next time you get flu symptoms of any sort, ask for it. I’m just sharing what many epidemiology and medical colleagues are already doing. Don’t shoot the messenger.
3) I’m aware this pre-stockpiling of prescription medicines is an extremely privileged thing where not everyone can do it. And you should only take it if you have the flu, but it doesn’t hurt to ask your doctor if they can dispense it if they deem appropriate. Others agree.
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(