Patrick Chovanec Profile picture
Apr 15, 2021 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
The US reported +921 new coronavirus deaths yesterday, bringing the total to 578,098. The 7-day moving average declined slightly to 747 deaths per day.
The US had +78,876 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 yesterday, bringing the total to over 32.1 million. The 7-day moving average rose slightly, remaining at over 72,000 new cases per day.
20 US states had over 1,000 new cases yesterday. Michigan led the pack with over 9,000 new cases, followed by Florida, New York, and Pennsylvania with over 6,000 each.
New hospital admissions in the US due to COVID-19 are up +7.0% from a week ago.
The number of people hospitalized in the US due to COVID-19 are up +6.3% from a week ago.
The positive test rate in the US remains at 5.2%.
The US administered 2.6 million vaccine shots yesterday, bringing the total to 195 million, or 58.7 doses per 100 people. The 7-day moving average declined slightly to 3.35 million shots per day.
47.6% of American adults have received at least one vaccine shot; 29.6% are fully vaccinated (I just became one of them).

79.6% of Americans over age 65 have received at least one shot; 63.0% are now fully vaccinated.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Patrick Chovanec

Patrick Chovanec Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @prchovanec

Sep 11
1. There are times when a thread makes so many important mistakes and feeds into so many misconceptions that it's worthwhile to address it point by point. My apologies.
2. It is true that Trump's tariffs against China were ostensibly imposed for the purpose of forcing China to alter it own unfair trade practices - in large part because the President's legal authority to levy special tariffs requires him to cite this as the reason.
3. However, it was unclear from the start what the "ask" was from China - what exactly the Trump Admin wanted China to do that would allow the tariffs to be lifted. And Trump repeatedly talked about tariffs being good and beneficial in their own right.
Read 20 tweets
Jul 27
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the problem. As someone who used to analyze and “summarize” these bills for Congress, let me explain …
The reason the bills are “mammoth” is that they includes hundreds, even thousands of legislative changes on a wide variety of unrelated topics. Basically a “bill of bills”.
Where AI could help us by offering some context to what these often small changes actually mean, in terms of policy. Often it’s hard to understand what changing “and” to “or” in Clause 81 of Title II refers to or the impact it could have.
Read 6 tweets
Jul 15
George Bush was one of the youngest Navy pilots in WW2 and survived getting shot down and floating in the Pacific for four hours. His crew was killed, and his fellow pilots were captured, executed, and eaten - yes, eaten - by the Japanese.
Herbert Hoover survived a siege during the Boxer Rebellion in China, and coordinated efforts to feed millions of refugees during and after World War I.
John F. Kennedy's PT boat was cut in half at night by a Japanese destroyer. He dragged a badly burned crew member to deserted island, then repeatedly swam out past razor-sharp coral reefs to locate help.
Read 8 tweets
Jul 9
I keep encountering the question "If Trump is really a wanna-be dictator, why didn't he do it during his first term? You're just fearmongering." I have three simple answers to this.
1) When Trump was first elected, he lacked confidence, and surrounded himself with more experienced people who were willing tell him no. Eventually either they quit or he fired them. He sees them now as traitors, and has surrounded himself with sycophants competing for his favor.
2) Initially, Trump (like any President) figured that if he really stepped over the line, Congress might impeach him, or his party might abandon him. He now knows that there is virtually nothing he could do that would cause them to do this.
Read 7 tweets
Jul 9
I disagree. Study economics … and history, philosophy, science, literature, etc. Get a foundation so you know what it is you’re even criticizing.
The most revolutionary modern artists in the world had a solid training in more conventional art. It’s only because they did that they knew which rules needed breaking. They didn’t just start by ignorantly breaking rules.
Will education be wasted on students who unthinkingly accept and regurgitate whatever they’re taught? Sure, but that’s in every field.
Read 5 tweets
Jul 4
The following is the address I wish President Biden would give for today, the Fourth of July.
"Fellow Americans, Happy Fourth of July. I hope you're out there cooking a BBQ or gathering with friends, and not thinking about politics or Washington DC. That is the strength of America - not the halls of power, but the communities where we live our lives."
"I've been spending some time lately with my friends and family, having some serious discussions. And I need to interrupt your Fourth of July to tell you some important conclusions we've reached."
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(