Paul Rosenberg Profile picture
May 1, 2021 12 tweets 8 min read Read on X
"You know who's not canceled? The endless parade of conservative pundits and politicians complaining about 'cancel culture.' You know who is canceled? George Floyd is canceled." Turn off the gaslight. #ConservativeCancelCulture is real. 1/12
salon.com/2021/05/01/con…
"Cancel culture" is a meaningless term, @mmfa editor @ParkerMolloy writes. But "For conservatives, that meaninglessness is a feature, not a bug," I note. "Those words mean whatever a right-wing accuser needs them to mean in the moment": 2/12
mediamatters.org/fox-news/woke-…
But there are two constraints on what "cancel culture" means: that it's new & comes only from the left. The truth is exactly the opposite: #ConservativeCancelCulture #gaslighting 3/12
Just a few highlights of #ConservativeCancelCulture in US history (Notice how often Blacks & immigrants the ones being cancelled? Coincidence? Not so much!): 4/12
But the term "cancel culture" is new. And @CAMcGrady explains how the white grievence usage is so tellingly at odds with its black-coined meaning: 5/12
washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/canc…
In bills suppressing voting rights (361 bills/47 states) & BLM-style protests (81 bills/34 states)
#ConservativeCancelCulture has gone wild this year. But education attacks date back to William F. Buckley's first book, as @FAIRmediawatch noted: 6/12
fair.org/extra/william-…
The abrupt suspension of 52 class sections at Boise State University in March--affecting 1300 students over a rumored accusation--was a wild over-reaction years in the making. PoliSci prof @donmoyn saw it coming at UW Madison, wrote 2017 NYT warning: 7/12 nytimes.com/2017/01/09/opi…
Here's some of what @donmoyn told me about what led him to write that op-ed: 8/12
"Attacking universities became a staple of the far right, propelled by an entire ecosystem of media funded by donors like the Koch or DeVos families," @donmoyn told me, but worse was the mainstream acceptance: 9/12
Conservative free speech controversies are primarily trolling by a handful of provocateurs: 10/12
But that's not the only form trolling takes, as @alicesperi reported for @theintercept: 11/12
theintercept.com/2021/04/10/cam…
These are just some highlights. Read the whole story here: #ConservativeCancelCulture #gaslighting
12/12
salon.com/2021/05/01/con…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Paul Rosenberg

Paul Rosenberg Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PaulHRosenberg

Apr 20
In his new book, "Taking America Back" @DavidAstinWalsh plumbs the prehistory of MAGA, how--contrary to the "never Trump" narrative-- 'mainstream' conservatives never purged the hard right. My author interview explores what he found. 1/19
salon.com/2024/04/20/a-p…
Legendary conservative William F. Buckley Jr. is a central presence in Walsh’s book & it’s undeniable that Buckley tried to purge the American conservative movement of its most extreme elements. Indeed, he did so over and over again, because no clean break was possible, 2/19
The "hard right" & "mainstream conservatives" have co-existed in conflict for centuries, as Edmund Fawcett argued in “Conservatism: The Fight for a Tradition” but Walsh gives much more detailed account of how this unfolded in the US ~1930-1990. 3/19
salon.com/2020/10/24/how…
Read 19 tweets
Mar 3
SCOTUS is a threat to democracy — but activists at @LPE_Project & @PeoplesParity are organizing to fight back, with a vision that goes well beyond court expansion: 1/18
salon.com/2024/03/03/tod…
The Supreme Court is a supreme threat to American democracy. That was Abraham Lincoln’s view in light of the Dred Scott decision, expressed in his First Inaugural Address. And the threat continued after his assassination: 2/18 Image
It’s not just abortion. On guns, environmental protection, discrimination, labor rights, affirmative action, student debt relief and mant other issues SCOTUS has squashed majority rule: 3/18 Image
Read 18 tweets
Feb 17
Democracy itself is on the ballot in '24—ONLY IF DEMS PUT IT THERE!!! @RachelBitecofer explains why & how to do it in her new book, "Hit 'Em Where It Hurts: How to Save Democracy by Beating Republicans at Their Own Game." My author interview 4 @Salon: 1/18
salon.com/2024/02/17/rac…
Bitecofer's most basic point is simple: Democrats as a whole—despite their “reality-based” self-image—have been unable or unwilling “to accept that the American voter is, at best, rough clay,” and to work with it accordingly, as Republicans have been doing for decades: 2/18 Image
Some Dems have begun to make the shift, but to be effective, this needs to be comprehensive, bottom-to-top systemic change. Even with the right-wing media ecosystem, and the think-tank and donor infrastructures that underlie it, a messaging change CAN save us in 2024: 3/18 Image
Read 18 tweets
Jan 14
With Trump's low-40s appoval there's no way for him to be elected without the help of reactionary centrists—a term coined by Aaron Huertas for supposedly fair-minded moderates who routinely punch left. I explore why/how—including Israel/Gaza: 1/23
salon.com/2024/01/14/rea…
After Aaron Huertas coined the term "reactionary centrist" insights from @RottenInDenmark, @tzimmer_history, @tzimmer_history, @LilyMasonPhD & @perrybaconjr shed additional light on the causes, dynamics & consequences of reactionary centrism. I'm indebted all of them. 2/23
Trump needs reactionary centrists—funders, establishment media and organizations like No Labels—to make him competitive. If Biden’s ill-conceived support for Israel’s genocidal attack on Gaza should prove fatal, that, too, is partially due to reactionary centrist politics. 3/23 Image
Read 22 tweets
Jan 2
Evangelicals closest to Tump are part of the New Apostalic Reformation [NAR], a dominionist movement radically transforming Christianity. Canadian bible scholar @andre_gagne1 provides an inside guide in his new book, he & others discuss: 1/15
salon.com/2024/01/02/mee…
Lance Wallnau, Paula White-Cain & Dutch Sheets are just 3 prominent Trump-supporting figures from the NAR, which @andre_gagne1 explores in “American Evangelicals for Trump: Dominion, Spiritual Warfare, and the End Times.” 2/15
bookshop.org/a/2464/9781032…
“The trap one must avoid in writing about this subject and reporting on the movement is to do so in a way that comes across as credible without sounding like a conspiracy theorist. The truth is you are in fact writing about a conspiracy.” -- UCC Past President John Dorhauer 3/15 Image
Read 15 tweets
Nov 19, 2023
"Hey! Hey! LBJ! How many kids did you kill today?" I chanted 50+ years ago.
But he was EASILY the best POTUS of my lifetime.
What's a better, pro-active plan?
Correct the mistakes of the Cold War & actually live up to our values. What that means: 1/20
salon.com/2023/11/19/whe…
You think young voters are turned off by Biden? Here's how I felt re LBJ: 2/20 Image
But—how's this for a contradiction—LBJ was far & away the BEST president of my lifetime. It's not even close to being close: 3/20 Image
Read 20 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(