Shafiqah Othman Profile picture
May 14, 2021 12 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Ada apa dengan PKP? Find out how MCO has affected the bottom 10% of Malaysia's B40.

Please RT for awareness so Rakyat can know who are those in most need and where we should direct a chunk of our energy + resources to.

Full report at the end of the thread.

#FamiliesOnTheEdge
Previous survey rounds of #FamiliesOnTheEdge by @UNICEF and @UNFPA found that low-income families are disproportionately affected by COVID-19. Female-headed households and households headed by persons with disabilities reported the deepest negative impacts.
Unemployment among heads of participant households has fallen since December 2020 to 12%. However, the unemployment rate among female heads of households (HoH) stands at 16% - roughly three times higher than the national average. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
The respondents have low levels of access to employment-based social security and social protection. Government assistance is critical to household wellbeing. Direct social assistance from the government now makes up 11% of overall household income. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
With not much social safety net, many respondents rely on pawn services, government and NGO aids (cash or food and goods) and unfortunately, loans from unlicenced creditors. There seems to be a continued reliance on government and NGO assistance. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
Children living in low-income families have trouble with effective home learning. Many parents report that online learning is ineffective. Only 35% of households had access to an appropriate device (computer or tablet). #FamiliesOnTheEdge
About 1 in 5 of the respondents are depressed, higher among female HoH. Many women have become physically and emotionally exhausted over the past year. Parents continue to worry about their children's education, and whether they can provide food for the family. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
Loss of/reduced income causes prudent spending on food. Even though food expenditure reduced, there is a surge in health-related expenses (+70%). A few respondents who are caregivers suffer from chronic diseases (diabetes, hypertension) themselves. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
The respondents are largely pessimistic about the foreseeable future. 8 in 10 respondents believe their financial situation will remain the same or further deteriorate in the next six months. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
Children have suffered enormously as a result of the indirect effects of COVID-19. Children in low-income families suffered the most. Cheaper and less healthy diets risk the prospect of further worsening Malaysia's malnutrition challenges. #FamiliesOnTheEdge
You can read the full #FamiliesOnTheEdge report here: unicef.org/malaysia/repor…

I also urge that you read the Recommendations provided in the report. Policymakers should pay close attention -- work towards establishing holistic policies to assist those who fall through the cracks.
Saya akan berusaha untuk menerjemahkan thread ini ke dalam BM secepat mungkin 🙏

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Shafiqah Othman

Shafiqah Othman Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @sfqomhz

May 17, 2022
There's something about "Hakken is a girl, I can hold her hand 🥰" that rubs me the wrong way. Too many girls are invalidating Hakken's agender experience and preference to present as a man because they want to justify touching someone without having it called out as "haram".
You are fetishising Hakken as a man, but use "she's a girl" to deflect criticism, while invalidating the person's gender experience.

You can fanboy/fangirl over anyone you want, but it's uncomfortable to watch the public paint their own narrative of Hakken's gender experience.
I've shared the same sentiment before. I unlearned it once I accepted you don't owe anyone an explanation for being a fan.

I will absolutely defend your right to be fans of whoever you want, whether it be Hakken, other cosplayers, K-Pop, or other celebrities.
Read 9 tweets
Jun 4, 2021
Corruption in Malaysia is not just a virus you can cure. Dia dah jadi akar umbi negara. How else can we have the same government for 60 years? And the toppling of a new government only 22 months after GE14? It's larger than any of us. People have died trying to fight it.
From the surface, it looks like petty politicians bickering. It's all fun and games to maki hamun kerajaan. But in reality, it runs deeper than that. When you sit down and connect all the dots, you'll see that the Rakyat has been destined for death for a long time.
Malaysia has been systemically structured to ensure the Rakyat stays in its place. The only way to escape is to be lucky enough to migrate, or we wait long enough for power-hungry elites to die. Tapi tu pun ada possibility akan pass down kekuasaan kepada anak-anak atau keluarga.
Read 10 tweets
Jun 4, 2021
Yes, the articles are from 2021. The thread I QT-ed was talking about 3 years ago, 2018. Take what you will from this information.
July 2018, there were efforts to curb illegal mining. August 2018, residents raised health concerns due to gold mining by RAGM. Who owns RAGM?

1. nst.com.my/news/nation/20…
2. m.malaysiakini.com/news/438413
3. anilnetto.com/governance/acc… (Note: Written 11 years ago. Can't find latest info.)
Read 6 tweets
Jun 4, 2021
My mum always asks me, "Kenapa MySJ like this? Kenapa tak dapat date vaccination lagi? Sektor apa yang open? Semalam kerajaan cakap lain, kenapa hari ni lain?" and other stuff. This is what I advised her:
1. Don't count on MySJ for the vaccination date. You can check, but don't expect. Anggap fungsi terutama MySJ adalah untuk check-in je.

2. Don't need to stress over memorising what sectors are open. Mengelirukan. Anggap je semua tutup. Kalau perlu service dorang, baru check.
3. Kalau kerajaan bagi bantuan apa-apa, boleh je nak register. Tapi jangan mengharapkan sangat. Kalau dapat, great. Kalau tak, dah expect dah.

4. Jangan percaya sangat kalau kerajaan keluarkan apa-apa statement. Tahu-tahu esok lain dikatanya. Just jaga diri baik-baik je.
Read 7 tweets
May 12, 2021
Me: This K-Drama I just finished is the best K-Drama I've ever watched... 😢

My friends, my family, and my husband: Every K-Drama you watch is the best K-Drama you've ever watched.
The K-Drama in question, #Reply1988 ❤️ Image
Choi Taek looking real different these days 😳 ImageImage
Read 4 tweets
Jul 23, 2018
Is pre-marital sex a more urgent issue than child marriage?
It's true that abstinence prevents STDs and sex-related issues. If all these things come from sex, then we just get rid of the sex, right? However, it's not as simple as that.

People are bound to have sex someday. Some married couples aren't even educated about sex.
Abstinence being taught (as a moral behaviour) is absolutely okay. But saying that enforcing abstinence (through law) will solve all problems is false. There will always be people going around the law. Also, the more affected groups will probably be the lower-income citizens.
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(