ThirdSide Profile picture
May 23, 2021 11 tweets 4 min read Read on X
True Gem on #ShitManagementSays from Motherson Sumi 3QFY21 Presentation, emptiest words ever:

"Industry outlook: OEMs continue to work with suppliers, given challenges in supply of certain critical components"

Wut?
Magna (MGA) is the closest peer to Motherson Sumi - offers the same products to same customers. No wonder their margins track each other.

Both reported multi-year high margins in Dec Qtr but note the sharp QoQ fall in MGA margins Mar Qtr as input cost benefits prove temporary.
Magna is four times bigger compared to Motherson on sales & has structurally had better margins than the latter. So, its a much more formidable player. Still Magna trades at EV/EBITDA of 6-7x vs. Motherson at 13-14x!

Trade away as you wish but don't forget the big picture
Has anyone worked out Motherson Sumi's number post restructuring?

I am bit confused but this is unlikely to be an EPS accretive business. Net Profit likely 20% higher than previous record in 2019 but shares count increasing by 43%! EPS ~ 4.2-4.5/share
2 parts to be valued in Motherson post-restructuring:
1) Domestic Wiring biz: Each shareholder gets a share of DWH for a share of Motherson
2) Residual biz: To acquire 49% promoter stake in the International biz as well as other promoter biz 👇with Consol. EBITDA of 126Cr in FY20
Valuing the Domestic Wiring Biz (DWH) is easy. 750-800Cr of annual EBITDA valued at EV/EBITDA of, say, 15x.
This will get you to EV of 12,000Cr or a market cap of about 11,000Cr. Splitting it into 315Cr outstanding shares, every share holder gets a DWH share worth 35/share
The non-DWH biz of Motherson (to be named SAMIL) will acquire 49% stake in SMRPBV as well as some other entities from the promoters by issuing 136.5Cr new shares to promoters . This will bring the total shares in SAMIL to 452Cr
Estimated SAMIL (Motherson ex-DWH ) to have FY22 EBITDA/Net Profit about 10/20% higher than last record reflecting continued growth in SMRPBV (was already consolidated) & new businesses with annual EBITDA of around 130Cr but the resulting dilution gets me to EPS of only 4.28
👆 Even if I value SAMIL (Motherson ex-DWH) at EV/EBITDA of 14x (twice the valuation of Magna International, its closest peer) which is about FY22 PE of 40x, I get to a share price of only about 170/share!
To summarize, Motherson Sumi worth 244/share will be split into:
1) Domestic Hiring Biz (DWH) of 35/share (EV/EBITDA~15x) and
2) SAMIL potentially valued at 170/share (EV/EBITDA~14x, twice that of peer Magna International)

Anyone else got any views on restructuring?
@threadreaderapp unroll please

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ThirdSide

ThirdSide Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @_ThirdSide_

Jan 20, 2022
Pretty good results from HUL, surely showed it has the pricing power; now let's see whether Havells has it or not? The brand value (aka pricing power) which underpins high PE stocks needs to come through in numbers else its just Fugazi
Consumer discretionary stocks have seen a lot more multiple expansion in last 5 years as compared to staples; probably not a bad time to rotate out of them back into Staples (ex-ITC); I don't like ITC if anyone cares; stocks like these break hard when big sell-down comes
No wonder Havells pissed in the sheets... Because it DOESN'T have the pricing power like HUL - just see how badly margins got bruised in Consumer business (Lloyds & ECD)!

So, my question, why exactly is the market giving it a multiple richer than HUL?
Read 5 tweets
Dec 2, 2021
M&M is one company I have really come to like. Many going cold on it worrying about a questionable slowdown in rural India, which, I think, is mostly base effect. The changes in company's biz here & abroad are far from factored in. If markets remain sane, this can be 2x from here
For starters, just look at Sum of the Parts valuation of M&M. Current value of its listed investments (2nd last line) is 456/share i.e. rest of the auto & tractor biz is valued at only 394/shr (3rd last) at FY23 EV/EBITDA of only 5.3x.
That EV/EBITDA of 5.3x for M&M Auto & Tractor business assumes a slow domestic tractor market and some easing of chip shortage next year but still a very conservative forecast. Do note that even the value of listed investments accounts for MMFS at very depressed valuations
Read 9 tweets
May 1, 2020
Indian companies have a horrible track record on M&A (actually, M&A sucks globally too) - Tata Motors, Tata Steel, Havells, Motherson (if you ignore what they got for free in 2008), M&M. Recently, UPL has joined this elite club of losers and its gonna go through real tough time
UPL had a big rally on news of "a reduction in net debt" of $1.2bn last qtr (cash up $0.6bn, debt down $0.6bn). This likely came from 2 sources: a seasonal decline in inventory (see 3Q transcript below) & potential factoring (receivables sale). Both will reverse in current qtr Image
Working cap reduction can help raise cash in the interim for UPL (possibly to meet some debt covenants on almost $4bn of debt, just a guess) but the company will need to reinvest in both to sustain sales in highly consolidated & mature sector where Top-4 control 80%+ market Image
Read 6 tweets
Oct 22, 2019
For all you brainy chaps who are buying Bharti Airtel in the hope of an end to the price war, please do remember that you are buying the company at its PEAK Market Cap #Nifty
Oh! did I mention that the current PEAK market cap of Bharti Airtel already factors in an end of price competition with Jio (as if it ended today) BUT has the competition ended? And, what's the Jio management repeatedly saying? #Nifty #BigShort?
Final nail in the coffin on why Bharti is the #BigShort. Not only is its peak market cap already factoring an end of competition without any sign of it. It has also been selling assets so one needs to look at proportional EBITDA. Peak market cap for FY13 EBITDA in FY21. 😂#Nifty
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(