Hannah Davis Profile picture
Jul 14, 2021 59 tweets 22 min read Read on X
Happening now! I'll try to live tweet as I'm able.

Note: there are a few times where Q&As are welcome from the public! Questions can be pasted in the chat and will be answered during specific time slots. See the agenda for those times.

#LongCOVID

1/
First up Dr. Stanley Perlman on neurologic complications of coronaviruses generally (not just this one).

This study (from 20 years ago!!) shows that there is a discrepancy when the body tries to get rid of the virus, it causes inflammation/damage.

2/
-A specific coronavirus is theorized to be the initiator of multiple sclerosis (this is still at the theory stage)

3/
Comparing to MERS:

-MERS has much higher morbidity (35%)
-don't know much about the brain because only 2 autopsies have been performed

4/
Curiously he said neuro symptoms were not as common in SARS-1.

This is likely not direct virus invasion except maybe in nasal cavity?

CNS damage likely from poorly understood effects of inflammatory mediators (endothelial dysfunction).

Sequelae can last for over a year...

5/
Next up is Tom Solomon, talking about hospitalized patients.

-1/3 of patients develop neurologic symptoms after initial phase
-respiratory & systemic symptoms often develop first
-but some patients have neuro features as first symptoms
-encephalopathy most common (49%)

6/
Three mechanisms:

-inflammatory response
-pro-thrombotic state (including microvascular clots)
-virus invasion of endothelial cells?

7/
Jennifer Frontera up next, again on only hospitalized patients. "COVID seems to predispose patients to neurovascular events."

1.6% of COVID patients vs 0.2% of flu patients have strokes.

8/
There are so many mechanisms that may underlie stroke (I notice antiphospholipid antibodies on this chart!)

9/
Unusual pattern of microhemorrhages akin to what is seen in traumatic brain injury (TBI):

10/
I missed the context but she just mentioned a collagen marker in relation to the blood-brain barrier breakdown? curious if anyone knows more about this

11/
Talking about cognitive consequences, including Alzheimer's - what happens with COVID patients will be important to follow.

Some neurodegenerative markers are *higher* than patients with Alzheimer's. Unknown if this is temp or ongoing

12/
Dr. Elizabeth Whittaker up on COVID's neurologic effects on kids. Curiously she makes the note that most of them test negative on PCR!

13/
Exhaustion, altered awareness and confusion are some of the most common symptoms in kids :(

At six months, the most common symptoms were neurological (same as our study!)

14/
-Are early biomarkers of inflammation and neuronal damage in children associated with long term neurocognitive effects? #LongCovid

-Long COVID happens in about 8% of kids.

15/
Clarification on tweet 11/:

A blood brain barrier study found fibrinogen in the parenchemya (shouldn't be there, must be coming out of blood vessels). Blood vessels with "disrupted collagen vascular basal lamina suggesting breakdown of the blood brain barrier."

cc @jenbrea 16/
Many of these talks are only hospitalized patients. Next is Dr. Shelli Farhadian on antibodies in CSF. Despite infecting brains of mice, they can't find antibodies in CSF.

COVID patients have more CSF B cells than controls, possibly autoimmunity targeting neuro tissue? 17/
On neuroimaging: Dr Dima Hammoud is talking about the recent biobank study, which showed a loss of brain volume in both hospitalized but also nonhospitalized COVID patients

18/
Hypometabolism (PET) is also a common finding, in nonhospitalized patients as well - one study found some improvement between month 1 and 6 but still cognitive deficits compared to controls 19/
(For people who are interested in imaging, check out the work of Dr. Jarred Younger and Dr. Michael VanElzakker (@MBVanElzakker)!

20/
Dr. Hammoud also believes there has been disruption of the blood brain barrier. #LongCOVID

21/
Dr. Markus Glatzel on neuropathological findings.

Neuroinflammation is most common, but virus is also found in the brain in some cases.

"The blood brain barrier crossing is probably the most important route the virus takes into the brain."

22/
When the virus is found, it's found near blood vessels/endothelial cells, and also has been found in brain parenchyma (echoing Dr. Frontera above)

23/
Collagen coming up again! In relation to "string vessels" which are thin connective tissue strands with no endothelial cells/blood flow.

Found in Alzheimer's, found in high levels in COVID patients

cc @jenbrea

24/
@jenbrea (BTW questions are open for submission in the live stream!! ask your questions!!) 25/
@jenbrea Dr. Rebecca Folkerth is talking about sudden death even in patients who have recovered, and her hypothesis that there are actually neuro/vascular reasons for this

26/
Collagen coming up again - I can't connect the dots but maybe others can

27/
Break is over - Dr. Alex Sigal is up next on the effects of coinfection with other viruses (i.e. HIV) with COVID.

Interestingly this is different by variant! The first wave had no difference between HIV+ and HIV- patients, but the second wave (a different variant) did!

28/
Various variants have different levels of antibody escape

29/
Takeaways:

30/
I'm out of spoons so going to take a break during the next few, which are mostly on autopsy findings and delirium

31/
Hopped on to the final panel discussion.

Q from Avi Nath: the fear is that there may be a large population of accelerated dementia/Alzheimer's. Loss of smell is also a sign in these. What's the relationship between these diseases and COVID?

32/
Answer from Dr. Masliah: Microglial activation plays a role, we've seen this in COVID, still hard to tell but I do think there will be an overlap

33/
Day 2 has started! Quickly summing up the first two:

Dr. Avi Nath talked about other illnesses with long term sequelae - some, like polio, happen years (even up to 40 years!!!) after onset. Dengue is another one that can happen over years (15-16 years in one case).

34/
Dr. Thakur talked about symptoms in nonhospitalized patients, citing @patientled work!

35/
@patientled Dr. Koralnik also talked about mostly non-hospitalized long haulers. These are the trajectories of pos vs neg patients. Negative COVID patients were more likely to miss more work, validating @Dr2NisreenAlwan et al's study!

36/
Dr. Spudich is up next and also brought up our @patientled work!

37/
@patientled She is diving into the pathophysiologies of #LongCOVID and is highlighting neuroinflammation:

38/
@patientled She mentions that basic bloodwork panels are often normal, but has seen low CD4 in some patients, others with inflammatory markers, some elevated IgG in the CSF

39/
@patientled She makes a call that we need more research in these areas:

40/
@patientled Q&A: do different variants have different levels of neurotropism?

A: we haven't started to study this, but this does happen in HIV variants - global studies should take this into account.

41/
@patientled Dr. Akrami (@AthenaAkrami) and I (both from @patientled) are up next!

42/
@patientled @AthenaAkrami On post-exertional malaise and triggers of relapses:

43/
@patientled @AthenaAkrami Neuropsychiatric symptoms are more likely not to change over time or to slightly increase over time #LongCOVID

44/
@patientled @AthenaAkrami (We will post this talk afterwards since it is chock-full of information) 45/
@patientled @AthenaAkrami She brings up the important point that so many of these symptoms that may not seems neurologic at first actually likely have neurologic underpinnings:

46/
@patientled @AthenaAkrami I will post my talk later as well.

47/
Next up @chiluvs1!!

She is giving a powerful narrative history on how she used to be, "a salute to what my brain could do."😭

"My brain was amazing, functional, analytical, until March 2020. My brain became a burden." #LongCOVID

48/
@chiluvs1 "Watching myself lose my superpowers month by month was a traumatic experience and still is. It makes talking to you today extremely difficult."

49/
@chiluvs1 I cannot communicate how amazing this talk is. Please watch it when available. It captures the enormous, all-encompassing effect of not only losing her brain, but how her loss impacted the community's ecosystem & was deprioritized by the med community by being a Black woman. 50/
Next up @PamBelluck who has been reporting on the neuropsychiatric effects of COVID and #LongCOVID all year! She is currently talking about the abrupt onset psychosis of a young patient which lasted for months

51/
Dr. Mejia up next talking about how Black & Hispanic patients disproportionately die from COVID, & that is just the tip of the iceberg (we *still* have no data on how Long COVID impacts these populations!)

She mentions gaps in access to neurology care, up to 20% difference

52/
This *all* stems from structural racism:

53/
She talks about how everyone, and especially clinicians, need to be learning about anti-racism to close these gaps in medical care:

54/
Dr. Dravid is talking about a cohort in Pune of mostly hospitalized patients. I think this point is really interesting - that despite loss of smell (anosmia) and taste being talked about a lot, it is really not a symptom that shows up in the majority of patients

55/
Didn't live tweet the panel but it can be seen when the recording is out!

On brain organoids for COVID - Dr. Mankowski mentions that it seems like glial cells rather than neurons may be infected?

56/
Last speaker was on a predictive model to predict COVID positivity which TBH I am pretty unexcited about & don't think these models should be used at this time because we just don't have enough societal awareness of the biases especially from the early waves. 57/
Next up: Dr. Masliah mentions that of all patients with dementia, those with vascular dementia are at greater risk:

58/
Dr. Dua mentions @LongCovidSOS's call for recognition, research, and rehabilitation for #LongCOVID!

59/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ahandvanish

May 1
From the Conference of Retroviruses & Opportunistic Infections: persistence of Covid in megakaryocytes in #LongCovid.

Over my head, but my understanding: megakaryocytes (type of bone marrow cell) being infected = continuous infection, very serious!

1/ croiconference.org/wp-content/upl…
graph showing levels of circulating Megakaryocytes; very low for healthy controls, high for severe Covid and Long Covid
This could cause additional impacts like deficits in platelet energy metabolism, or hormonal dysregulation (because platelets carry serotonin) #LongCovid

More about this here from the amazing @polybioRF!

2/polybio.org/projects/sars-…
The study found:

-circulating megakaryocytes harbored Spike, SARS-CoV-2 ssRNA, & dsRNA in #LongCovid patients

-these produced platelets containing Spike & SARS-CoV-2 ssRNA 3/
Read 5 tweets
Oct 30, 2023
Because this video has caused so much willful misinterpretation, I want to clarify: in the clip I’m countering the myth that #longcovid is lingering symptoms of acute COVID, since many people think it’s just a cough. I should‘ve said “acute COVID”; brain fogged & trying my best.
The interview was an hour long & they edited it to 5 min. I talked their ear off about all hypotheses & the science behind each & it didn’t make it in - the piece was for a general audience. I talked about all the other things COVID can cause, include diabetes & clots, at length.
Anyone who is suggesting I don’t think #longcovid is from COVID (????) or that I don’t think viral persistence is a high priority hypothesis (????) are *actively* ignoring 3.5 yrs of advocacy & that I’ve been highlighting viral persistence since 2020
Read 7 tweets
Sep 20, 2023
The most exciting hypotheses in #LongCovid and #pwME are ones that could have cures! This includes viral persistence and others, and also includes the itaconate shunt hypothesis. I'm going to tweet this video as I watch it to try to explain it more 1/
Dr. Ron Davis used to work on the Human Genome Project but switched to ME/CFS when his son got sick. He's the director at the Stanford Genome Center. He is focused on *a cure* for ME/CFS. "I believe it is a curable disease." 2/ slide that says "ME/CFS - A curable disease?"
He describes the common onsets of ME - usually viral, but can have other causes too, refers to a big parasite onset in Norway from a few years ago 3/ Image
Read 13 tweets
Sep 11, 2023
FDA Stakeholder meeting on #LongCovid today:

@TheCrankyQueer: highlight the need for trans inclusion in trials, including understanding how different labs may present; biomarker nuance

Oved Amitay: need to create a center of excellence to learn from trials in other diseases 1/
Oved: FDA needs to align on decisions across similar fields, needs cross-talk across similar groups

@Dysautonomia: Most even great researchers don't understand autonomic disorders, which happen in up to 2/3 of LC...is there an opportunity to offer autonomic training? 2/
@Dysautonomia: Also, need to make arms in these trials for pre-Covid POTS/MECFS - this helps learn about LC as well (ie does Paxlovid help pre-covid pts)

Me: There are over 50 drugs ready to be trialed: 3/docs.google.com/document/d/1JJ…
Read 24 tweets
Jul 27, 2023
A beautiful piece by @edyong209 that fully describes & communicates the complexity of fatigue & Post-Exertional Malaise in #LongCovid.

Ironically am crashy today so going to pull out amazing quotes:

"Now, at least, she can watch TV on the same day she takes a shower." 1/
"Fatigue turns the most mundane of tasks into an “agonizing cost-benefit analysis,” @turnoftheshrew said. If you do laundry, how long will you need to rest to later make a meal? If you drink water, will you be able to reach the toilet?"

2/
"Only a quarter of long-haulers have symptoms that severely limit their daily activities, but even those with “moderate” cases are profoundly limited. @julialmv still works, but washing her hair, she told me, leaves her as exhausted as the long-distance runs she used to do." 3/
Read 33 tweets
Jul 13, 2023
This is one of the most accurate papers on #LongCovid recovery I've seen. It's full of crucial points:

-Only 7.6% recovered.

-Recovery was *more* likely in people who were in the ICU. This was something we saw early, but why?

A few thoughts:

1/ https://t.co/kdPhkTVR5mpapers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cf…
Those hospitalized with COVID, esp in the early pandemic, seem more likely to have forms of #LongCovid that are *not* the neurological form.

The neuro form seems to last longer (& often overlaps with ME/CFS & dysautonomia, lifelong conditions).

2/
Other factors that correlated with INCREASED likelihood to recover from #LongCovid include:

-being male
-having cardiovascular comorbidities
-lost appetite in acute phase
-had smell/taste alterations (this is often its own subtype that can come with no other symptoms)

3/
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(