Charles Gaba ✡️ Profile picture
Jul 15, 2021 55 tweets 15 min read Read on X
📣📣 UPDATED COUNTY-LEVEL VAXX THREAD (last one for a month as vaxx rates have slowed to the point these aren't changing much anymore):

ALABAMA:
ALASKA (as always, they're all over the map, literally):
ARIZONA:
(R^2: 0.7016)
ARKANSAS...vaccination rates on the left, new case rates on the right. Not pretty.
CALIFORNIA.
Yes, R^2 is up to 0.7661.
Yes, the R^2 has been gradually *increasing* in nearly every state.
COLORADO.
Another high R^2: 0.7122.
CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, DC, HAWAII & RHODE ISLAND (none more than a handful of counties so there's not much point in graphing them separately; I lumped them together anyway for completeness).

Kalawao County, Hawaii has actually vaxxed ALL of of their...86 residents.
FLORIDA:
(Sumter County is home to The Villages, the massive MAGA retirement community.)
RE. FLORIDA NEW CASE RATES:
This is what FL looks like...but since they're only reporting county-level data WEEKLY now, it's up to a week out of date. Their recent surge therefore isn't reflected here...yet.
GEORGIA.
IDAHO. Another high R^2 state:
ILLINOIS. Jo Daviess County is the big outlier; if anyone knows why, feel free to comment.
INDIANA.
IOWA.
KANSAS. Anyone know if there's something special or unusual about Graham County?
KENTUCKY.
LOUISIANA. Outlier West Feliciana is home to the LA State Penitentiary, which *may* explain their high vaxx rate? (6,300 prisoners, 1,800 staff, total county population just 15,600)?
MAINE.
Yes, you're reading that correctly: R^2 is 0.8135.
MARYLAND.
MASSACHUSETTS.
Yes, every single county is blue.
Re. Dukes/Nantucket: The vaxx data for both of these is very odd, likely due to the nature of each. CDC puts them at an absurdly low ~2% but city/village-level data says it's over 90%. I'm going with the latter.
MICHIGAN (my home state!).
I've separated Detroit from the rest of Wayne County to illustrate how much discrepancy there can be even at the county level.

It'd be awesome to do this by zip code but there's 41,600 of them nationally...
MINNESOTA.
MISSISSIPPI.
Only 1 county has cracked 45%.
MISSOURI.
Vaxx rates on the left.
New case rates on the right. 😳😳
MONTANA.
R^2: 0.7112.
And yes, there's a fascinating pattern re. which states are showing a steep slope/high R^2 vs. which states aren't, which I'll get to downthread...
NEBRASKA.
That's correct: McPherson County voted over 90% for Trump and is less than 10% vaccinated.
NEVADA.
NEW HAMPSHIRE.
NEW JERSEY.
NEW MEXICO.
R^2: 0.7185. Starting to see the pattern yet?

Los Alamos: Science!
NEW YORK.
Brooklyn & The Bronx need to get it together.
Hamilton County is the least-populated county east of the Mississippi. Someone told me what the deal was here re. their outlier status but I forgot.
NORTH CAROLINA: Like Alaska, literally all over the map. Anyone want to remind me what's up with Martin County?
NORTH DAKOTA.
Slope County has 750 residents. 68 of them are vaccinated.

Sioux County has 4,200 residents, and is 82% Native American.
OHIO.
OKLAHOMA.
Again, only 1 county over 45% vaxxed.
OREGON.
R^2: 0.6905.
Baker County is the outlier.
PENNSYLVANIA.
Philly needs to get it together quickly.
SOUTH CAROLINA.
SOUTH DAKOTA.
WARNING: SD's data is only 83% complete.
Having said that...a *second* deep red McPherson County under 10%. Huh.

There's only 3 McPherson Counties in the U.S. All three are deep red. Two of them are less than 10% vaxxed (the third is 40%, in Kansas).
TENNESSEE.
Vaxx rates on the left, new case rates on the right.

While TN has been making all the wrong types of COVID news the past week or so, the #DeltaVariant surge seems to be pretty minor and evenly distributed *so far* at the county level...but so is the vaxx rate.
TEXAS.
Holy smokes: R^2 over 0.6 with 254 counties.

Presidio County continues to kick ass.
King County...not so much.
UTAH.
R^2: 0.7268.
Summit County leads the way. Juab...trails.
VERMONT.
VIRGINIA. CDC data is too incomplete for some states so I use @COVIDActNow data for those. For some reason they don't include Manassas Park or Manassas City, however, so I have to use the state health dept. website for them. Huh.
WASHINGTON STATE.
R^2 0.7123.
WEST VIRGINIA.
WISCONSIN.
WYOMING.
R-squared? 0.8542.
PUERTO RICO.
They don't vote for President in the general election and I know nothing about internal PR politics, so I'm just ranking their municipalities from lowest to highest-vaxxed for completeness.
AS NOTED ABOVE, you may have noticed that some states have low correlation trendlines (R^2) while others are extremely high...and some have nearly flat lines while others are very steep.

This pattern seems to be REGIONAL in nature, as I wrote last week:
acasignups.net/21/07/15/while…
I broke the 48 contiguous states (+DC) out into 7 geographic regions:
--DEEP SOUTH
--REST OF SOUTH
--MID-ATLANTIC
--NEW ENGLAND
--MIDWEST
--MOUNTAIN WEST
--WEST COAST
(Neither Hawaii nor Alaska seemed to fit in anywhere)
The results are fascinating.

The Southern states generally show a shallow slope and low correlation...as does New England...but for very different reasons.

The Midwest and Mid-Atlantic show mid-level slopes and correlations, appropriately enough...
...but the Mountain West and West Coast states have VERY steep slopes and R^2 factors of over 0.7 across over 400 counties!

I have my own theories about all of this, but this thread is way too long already so feel free to comment below!
Meanwhile, if you find my work useful and want to support it, you can do so here, thanks! acasignups.net/support
UPDATE: Here's what the 12 Western states look like combined (West Coast, Mountain West and Texas)...a full 1/3 of the total U.s. population:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Charles Gaba ✡️

Charles Gaba ✡️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @charles_gaba

Jun 10
🧵 EV Infrastructure Update:

I just returned from my 4th road trip from Detroit to DC & back over the past 2 years. Since it's the same route each time I have a pretty apples to apples comparison on EV public chargers over time. 1/
The good news is that it looks like Electrify America, which makes up most of the chargers along the route (I-275/280, I-80/90 (OH Turnpike), I-70/270 (PA Turnpike), seems to be in the process of upgrading their charging stations; the newer ones seem to be more reliable. 2/
The bad news is that they've raised their prices substantially, at least at the stations along this route--they were usually $0.35/kWh 2 years ago; now they're charging $0.56/kWh.

By comparison, residential electricity in Oakland Cty, MI is around $0.18/kWh. 3/
Read 28 tweets
Jun 3
Since partisan COVID death rates are back in the news again today, a reminder that ~150,000 *more* Trump voters died of COVID between the 2020 - 2022 elections than Biden voters due *specifically* to GOP/FOX/MAGA pushing antivax/anti-mitigation narratives.
acasignups.net/22/09/17/eleph…
Re. electoral impact, there was only one statewide race in which the GOP COVID Death Cult factor made a decisive difference:

In AZ, 900 - 4,100 more Trump voters died of COVID between Nov. 2020 - Nov. 2022.

AG Kris Mayes won her race by 280 votes.

acasignups.net/22/12/29/updat…
It did *NOT* make a decisive difference in any of the *House* races, however, though it came close in a few.

That's because while 150K is a lot of people nationally, the bulk of the gap was in areas which are deep red to begin with.

acasignups.net/22/12/13/updat…
Read 9 tweets
Jun 1
🎉 MAY DEM FUNDRAISING PROJECT REPORT: Donations up 341% for the month & 89% overall vs. the same point in 2020!! 🧵
blue24.org/24/06/01/may-2…
As I teased the other day, by the end of May 2020 I had raised $303,000 for Democrats up & down the ballot. For the 2024 cycle, as of last night, I had raised over $573,000! 2/ Image
Just as noteworthy is the *breakout* of donations: At this point in 2020, STATE LEGISLATIVE races only made up 10% of the total I had raised.

This cycle state legislative races make up *40%* of the total! 3/
Read 13 tweets
May 24
Let's see...Trump is 6' 3" tall. Putting him sideways it looks like the stage is perhaps 15' long, but I'll be generous and call it 16'. It also looks like it's only 6' deep but I'll call it 8' for the heck of it. Image
So that's ~92 stages or so...call it an even 100 to account for the stragglers at the outer edges.

That's 128 sq. feet x 100 = 12,800 sq. feet. Let's assume they're all tightly packed.

Again, in a tightly-packed crowd the avg. adult takes up 4.5 sq. ft.
poynter.org/reporting-edit…
12,800 / 4.5 = 2,844 people in attendance when this photo was taken. Let's be generous and round it up to an even 3,000 people.
Read 7 tweets
May 12
Let's see here...a semi trailer (lower right) is roughly 50' long, so the venue is roughly 9 trailers x 4 trailers, or 450' x 200', or 90,000 sq. feet.

Of course the rear 1/3 is almost empty, but there's also some people lined up in the upper left, so call it ~80% full...

So, that's perhaps ~72,000 square feet of "tightly packed" people. According to this article, in a tightly-packed crowd the avg. person takes up ~4.5 sq. feet.

That would mean perhaps 16,000 people.

.cleveland.com/datacentral/20…
Now, the trailers I used are slightly closer to the camera than the people in the crowd, so I may have to adjust for scale a bit. If we bump it up by, say, 25% you get 20,000 people or so.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 20
🧵 People have asked me why I started an organized project to raise money *directly* for Democratic candidates up & down the ballot when there's already so many other organizations out there doing this. There's a couple of reasons. 1/
The first is that most of the existing organizations/PACs/etc seem to (in my view) *either* focus ONLY on the true swing districts *or* they raise money for races which are clearly unwinnable without being up front about how long the odds in those races are. 2/
I try to walk the line between these--for district-level races I cast my net wider than most "tossup only!" advocates, but not absurdly wide; for statewide races I *do* include deep red states but also make it absolutely clear that those races are *very* long shots. 3/
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(