Willy Woo Profile picture
Jul 22, 2021 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
A longitudinal study of #Bitcoin's supply distribution since the genesis block.

Summary: Bitcoin continues a 12 year trend of distributing evenly. Small holders are a rising force.

(Includes new data unseen before.)
Before I continue, all the data used in this study are actual entities, not addresses.

Addresses are clustered forensically to resolve to individual participants.

In some cases they monitored on-chain entities (e.g. exchanges) in other cases from financial reporting (e.g. ETFs)
Whales (1000+ BTC in wealth) continue to distribute their coins while minnows are increasingly gaining more of the supply (0-10 BTC).
The Bitcoin "middle class" are the holders between 10 - 1000 BTC. They have more or less remained steady.

Since 2018 the subtle trend is similar to whales, towards more even distribution, as the give up their coins to smaller holders.
The story for 2021 is the rise of the dolphins and sharks (very roughly $3m - $60m in BTC at 2021 prices).

This rise is likely from high net worth individuals, family offices, hedge funds and smaller corporate treasuries. They absorbed much of whale distribution.
The mega wealthy 10k+ whale club ($300m+) has almost vanished, they hold 3.75% of the supply today.

This compares to 26.0% held by the 1k+ whale club.

(10k+ whales are counted in the 1k+ whale figures).
Of growing importance are entities who have custody of coins owned by many.

Exchanges have 13.8% of the supply with in excess of 150m unique verified accounts in 2021.

ETFs have 3.7% of the supply.
TREND: Coins are moving to the masses.

Whales (1000+ BTC) hold 26.0%.

Exchanges and ETFs collectively hold 17.5% on behalf of 150m+ customers

Minnows (0-10BTC) hold 13.6%.

Minnows are close to holding most of the supply. (Minnows + exchanges/ETFs hold 31% vs whales at 26%).
For completeness, this trace is Satoshi's coins (5.8% of the supply).

I've removed them from the supply owned by whales as the Satoshi coins are assumed 'lost'.
These are the coins held by miners at 3.9% of the supply.

Their coins have not been removed from the cohorts. (If you're a whale miner, your coins count as a whale, ditto for minnow miners etc).

Miners have been distributing their coins for a decade.
Sidenote: whales distribute their coins on every bull rally.

I've included 2 charts:

1) What whales are really doing (orderly distribution each bull market)

2) misleading results from address analysis w/o clustering and eco system adjustments (whales pump and dump the market)
Address analysis done badly is the culprit for much FUD thrown at this industry.
Finally here's the full ecosystem in one chart.

On-chain data: @glassnode

ETF data: @woonomic (via the art of data archeology, scraping the web for historical data)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Willy Woo

Willy Woo Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @woonomic

Apr 15
Want to know which indicator called the last 2 large corrections within hours?

It's the moon. I shit you not... that sell signal is a particular phase of the moon.

🌘 Image
The correlation to the moon has been well studied, here's a 2005 study looking at price impact on stock markets.

If you run the correlation, the moon cycle strengthened its impact after the Global Financial Crisis of 2008.

That event may have lead to the birth of meme stocks. Image
🔫 You may say it was War, and pricing in War, that lead to the last #BTC pull back.

🌘 Or maybe it was just that time of the moon cycle when in a tense situation humans felt shitty enough to launch a drone + missile attack. Image
Read 4 tweets
Jun 10, 2023
Money has always been a balance sheet of who owes whom.

This accounting needs to be agreed upon. And there’s only 3 known ways:

1) with social consensus

2) with matter

3) with energy
1) social consensus

Examples include fiat and proof of stake.

The ones in power (the wealthy) aim to control opinion to keep faith in the accounting system.
2) matter

This is how we used to do it.

We use something physically scarce so the accounting can’t be rigged. Gold backed money, silver coins, Rye stones, livestock, etc.

This doesn’t work with increasing technology. Things cease to be scarce with sufficient tech.
Read 5 tweets
Jan 17, 2023
CVDD Floor (circa 2019) successfully defended for 2 months straight, the first proper test apart from COVID where the crash got close.

Hope this is not famous last words :).

Spot momentum has been strong throughout this move, there was also solid accumulation for months at 16k.
Cost basis comparison suggests the bottom has formed. The peak discount that short term purchases got over long term purchases has crested.

It's only at the deep parts of a bear market do short term coins get cheaper than long term coins.
BTC Macro Index. Pretty safe time to buy.

Look at the vertical halvening bands; we are now around 1 month away from the period where the re-accumulation phase of the market starts engaging.
Read 6 tweets
Jan 7, 2023
BTC on exchanges since 1st Apr 2022, just before the deleveraging dominos started falling.

Y-axis is % difference and line weight is proportional to BTC held presently.

Winners: OKX & Bitfinex
Neutral: Binance
Losers: Everyone else
Bitfinex is the sleeper here.

The parent entity, iFinex, is making huge profits with its Tether capital sitting in US treasuries. Tether earns $3b per year right now. iFinex also has 94,000 BTC returning from the Bitfinex hack funds seizure ($1.5b).
Capital moving to OKX may explain its exchange token performance in this bear market.
Read 7 tweets
Dec 30, 2022
DeFi apps can never be truly decentralised.

Been pondering this deeply.

Anything that works will need trusted centralised parties.

If true, dapps and L1s are just a wild goose chase over an intractable problem.

Please prove me wrong.
Best way to prove me wrong is to name a dapp that provides a benefit that people want that cannot be done by better by existing Web2 and Bitcoin technology.

Example arguments:
- why a DEX will be better than a CEX
- seamless fintech inter-op across the web using MetaMask
I suspect the 2 key issues needed to be solved in order to have true decentralised apps that can fulfill the dream of "Web3" are:

- prevention of sybil attacks
- ability to peer into the global state across all L1s by any dapp. (I think this problem is provably intractable)
Read 10 tweets
Dec 21, 2022
An image capture of 10,000+ coins. This is the entire ecosystem, plotted against BTC as the base currency.

It's organically beautiful.

Over coming days I'll add to this thread adding insights as I discover.

Like it to subscribe. Comment if u want me to investigate things.

🧵
First some orientation.

The last image looked like a smudge.

Zoom in. You'll see its 10,000+ lines. Each is a price chart of a coin in BTC value (e.g. DOGE/BTC).

Then I tie the present day value together to the same point so we can compare.

All price data is from @coingecko.
Like satellite imagery, we can see structure in this chart.

That river running below the BTC datum is tracking ETH.

Effectively it's the rise of DeFi from late 2020.

Wrapped ETH on multiple L1 networks and staked ETH creating many ETH price lines on top of each other.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(