Jackie Singh Profile picture
Sep 25, 2021 10 tweets 5 min read Read on X
I want to share something important I learned thru the process of producing NFTs with my partner @0xBanana over the past months

I had a valuable realization stemming from the creation of new things of uncertain value & shipping them to buyers

This is for the #infosec crowd

1/8
Creating art which is then roundly enjoyed by others has helped me with perfectionism.

Intellectually, I know that ‘perfect is the enemy of good’.

Unfortunately, my standards for my own work are often far too high to encourage incremental progress & learning in public.

2/8
Part of the reason why I feel that way is because the security community is so frequently negatively judging. As this is the community I joined from a young age, it has molded my behavior to be far too constrained & limited — in direct opposition to the hacker ethos.

3/8
Judging the work of oneself & others to an extremely high (& often unattainable) standard reduces the likelihood that people in a given community will produce original work for the benefit of said community by releasing it publicly — even when such efforts are sorely needed

4/8
The community essentially molded my behavior to the point where I have refused to release original work in the security space.

Meaning: useful code/scripts. Methodologies. Process improvements. Updates to the state of the art in information security. Incremental progress.

3/8
I haven’t always felt the things I’ve created have been good enough to stand up to the intense scrutiny which comes from both being a woman and a human in this space — and even if they were, I wanted to avoid the minutiae of the forced and oft-entitled/angry peer review.

4/8
Through the work and culture of infosec, I’ve developed an extremely keen eye for mistakes, errors, and systematic problems — and often fail to state how much I appreciate the value of someone’s work before criticizing it.

5/8
Yet what I’ve helped make has received so much kudos, & the process of making them has been so enjoyable & validating, that I feel I am “good enough” to release artwork for public sale & consumption under my own name — even if not at the level of a Kandinsky or Warhol.

6/8
Seeing the support and kindness people make the effort to express in the #NFTcommunity (within certain communities on Discord especially, shout-out to @itskay_k) has repeatedly shown me that there is another way, and not everyone is like this outside our weird little bubble.

7/8
I’d love for the infosec community to recognize how our overly-critical reactions to the work of others is often the opposite of encouragement, even if well-intentioned, and reduces opportunities for us to effectively learn from each other to improve our craft & culture ❤️

8/8

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jackie Singh

Jackie Singh Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @HackingButLegal

Jul 18
JD Vance, referring to his childhood experiences:

“Seeing people insult, scream, and sometimes physically fight was just a part of our life. After a while, you didn’t even notice it.

I always thought it was how adults spoke to one another.”

1/
“Over time, I started to like the drama.

Instead of hiding from it, I’d run downstairs or put my ear to the wall to get a better listen. My heart would still race, but in an anticipatory way, like it did when I was about to score in a basketball game. [...]

This thing that I hated had become a sort of drug.”

2/Image
When Vance's mother told her family she intended to k*ll herself after intentionally crashing into a pole and landing in the hospital, his grandmother stated,

“Who tries to kill themselves by crashing a fucking car? If she wanted to kill herself, I’ve got plenty of guns.”

3/
Read 4 tweets
Jul 10
The origins of some alleged commenters on #HeritageFoundation's website.

Why are they involved in U.S. politics?
Here's an example of the fun we can have here:

Match suspicious comments to suspicious IP addresses. Here we have "Clint" who asks,

"I am not sure who told you that 'Space-based interceptors present the best option for a boost-phase missile defense.' Can you point me to a technical study? This Air Force (ex-AF) officer says the opposite is true: that space based missile defense is not feasible [links]

So I am confused -- it seems space based missile defense is not the most sensible thing to do. If you have any other information to share on this issue that would be good. Thanks."

"Clint" 🤡 made this particular comment from an IP address originating from Kathmandu, Nepal.Image
"james.smith@diversey.com" commented in 2011 during the Obama presidency:

"No, grog help us! At this point, all sanity has been lost by the big O"

However, "Jim" was located in Hong Kong.

#Astroturfing Image
Read 4 tweets
Jul 10
I am reviewing this alleged hack of The Heritage Foundation.

I have identified very embarrassing data within this dataset. Why so many Chinese IP addresses? 🤔
The zipped file contains one single file:

"daily-signal_dev_database_new.sql"

This appears to be a combined set of exports from a SQL database. Here are the first lines Image
Because this is a combined export (likely from the command line) of various tables, the file is not readable by a typical SQL editor, and needs to be split into pieces to make it so.

I'd rather just turn it into CSV chunks to start cleaning up the dataset for further analysis
Read 18 tweets
Jun 29
New report from @FDD:

China, Russia, and Iran are waging an information war against the United States, yet many Americans do not realize they are under attack.

Nor do they appreciate that developments on the battlefield of ideas and beliefs can have a decisive impact on the security and way of life Americans enjoy.

This lack of awareness is ideal for Beijing, Moscow, and Tehran — predators like nothing better than hunting slumbering prey.

Americans may not realize they are already in an information war because adversaries attempt to conceal their activities.

To make matters worse, Americans often think of international conflict consciously or subconsciously in the context of kinetic war — soldiers, ships, and aircraft battling one another on land, at sea, or in the air.

So, when there is no overt conflict, Americans can be lulled into a false sense of security.

This propensity works to the advantage of China, Russia, and Iran, which view conflict with the United States more like a dial than a two-way switch.

These adversaries turn the dial’s intensity up or down as needed, but hostile intentions toward the United States and attacks in the information domain remain constant regardless of whether a ‘shooting war’ is underway.

So, what exactly does this information warfare look like?

Read: fdd.org/analysis/2024/…
China's approach:

- Aims to become a "discourse superpower" by shaping global narratives.
- Uses state media, social media platforms, and influencers to spread propaganda.
- Spends billions annually on its discourse ecosystem.
Russia's approach:

- Employs "reflexive control" to manipulate enemy decision-making.
- Exploits social divisions and interferes in domestic politics of target countries.
- Adapts tactics as circumstances evolve, including using cyber capabilities.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 19
BREAKING: Parolee and known douchebag Martin Shkreli has been identified by cryptocurrency crime investigator @ZachXBT as the creator of the $DJT token, and after being publicly doxed as such, now claims he's running it for Trump

Not sure he's allowed per his release terms! 1/
Arkham is an intelligence company for blockchains. They posted a bounty for the identity of the cryptocurrency token's creator earlier in the day.

Read 23 tweets
Jun 17
While the editorial staff at the Washington Post is under the microscope, perhaps folks there also want to take a look at the son of a Russian propagandist who started on the games desk but has already moved over to foreign affairs.

WaPo has previously been notified.
In fact, they were notified while he was still working on stories about gaming. He was later reassigned
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(