Sagar Profile picture
Sep 26, 2021 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
#Thread
A lot of people had requested me to do a thread on Bird Photography. So finally, I got the time today. Hope this helps you. Also, please do share and help others 🙏

Here you go-
Getting close enough to photograph birds, without disturbing them or causing them to flee, is probably the most challenging part of bird photography. So before understanding photography techniques, lets understand how to behave.
Without a lot of patience,you will never get bird photos. Letting the bird accept you in their personal territory is by far the most important aspect of birding. Once they accept you, you have won them!But never take them for granted. 1 wrong move and you have lost them for ever.
Don’t scare the birds as if you are there to attack them. They should not feel that you are a predator. Avoid staring at them. Don’t approach them head on. Always make them feel that you are walking/crawling away, approach sideways. Wear clothing which doesn’t blow in the wind.
Birds hate sudden movement. They just fly away. You have to be slow,very slow in your movements. More the time you spend around them,more relaxed you can be as it gets comfortable with you around.Again,one wrong move and all the effort is gone in vain. You start again.
Now lets talk a bit of photography-

Bird photography needs a decent focal length. No second thoughts about it. You need a lens which has a focal length of minimum 300mm. If your body has a crop sensor, even better!
Make sure the lens has an image stabilisation feature like VR (Vibration Reduction for Nikon) or IS (Image Stabilization for Canon).Birds are always active. In order to stop the action you need a good number of frames per second. Anything above 5 fps is good!
Check your focus settings. Choose as many focus points as possible. 40 plus. More the merrier!
Use continuous auto focus mode like AF-C (for Nikon) or AI-Servo (for Canon). Put the camera on burst or high-speed continuous modes.
I always chose aperture priority, never manual!
Aim for light or colour contrast between the bird and the background. This helps the autofocus to focus faster. Also, it helps to make the bird stand out.

If you follow basic rules of composition, you will be good to go. Do read my thread on composition.
Get dirty, go low.
Always try to photograph the birds from their eye-level. Except the birds in flight, of course!
Bend down, crawl, get dirty or do whatever it takes to get to the bird’s eye-level.
Photograph early in the morning when birds are very active. Observe for a while, anticipate their next move. Shoot in burst mode to take several photographs during the action. Always track the bird until focus is locked before pressing the shutter.
Back button focussing is something you should learn. Using the shutter button half press to focus doesn’t help in bird photography. Practice it at home, with friends etc. Observe birds without your camera a lot. More you understand them, better your photos will be.
I feel like writing much more but the thread is getting longer and will turn boring 😂. I am open to questions. Please feel free to ask.

All the photos in the thread are mine.

This is my IG link if you wish to see more photos- instagram.com/wildshots_saga…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sagar

Sagar Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @wildontheright

Jan 16, 2023
The Matka Story. #junglestoriesbysagar. Dont miss this one :-)
It was the summer of ’18. Matkasur was ruling the Tadoba Core and Pandhar Pauni was his castle. I had not sighted him before & this time the agenda was only & only to photograph King Matka. 1/n
#wildlifephotography
Tadoba was booming with Tiger sightings and the saying “ Tadoba never disappoints” or “Tiger sightings in Tadoba are guaranteed” had started making rounds in the circles of Wild Life. I had no intentions of finding or photographing other Tigers. 2/n
I had seen almost all Tigresses and other males in the TATR. But! I had always missed Matkasur. So, I land in Nagpur and head to Tadoba with one hope and prayer. Matkasur dikh jaye bas. 3 days passed, many tigers were seen but not the King. 3/n
Read 20 tweets
Jun 23, 2022
#Thread. #Wildlifephotography. I hope this thread puts a lot of doubts to rest & gives everyone an insight in simple non photographic language of what goes in making a decent wildlife photo (tried my best) .
Its not really a long thread😉
Enjoy the photos too.
1/n
So lets get going-
'Know your camera' as well as you know the capabilities of your fingers. The camera is an extension of yourself & has to do what your mind wants it to do. It has to react fast. Very fast! Action packed moments in the wild last just for a few seconds.
2/n
If you’re not deeply familiar with the settings of your camera or the capabilities of your chosen lens, you‘ll either miss the shot or ruin the images you do manage to capture. Believe me thats a very bad memory to carry out of the wilderness. A lost shot is gone for ever.
3/n
Read 17 tweets
Apr 26, 2022
Here comes one more #JungleStoriesBySagar #Thread

This was in Kanha 4 years back. I was staying in the house of my guide as we have that kind of a bond.
We went for the afternoon attempt and came back with some amazing sightings of Barasingha and a female Tigress. Happy!
1/n
I decided to take a stroll. While my buddy went in for a nap, I decided to step out for a stroll. It was winter and nice cool breeze was combing my hair.
I walked and walked and didnt realise I had gone too far. Sun was setting fast & I took a quick turn.
2/n
It was almost dark with no visibility and slight panic struck in. As usual I was carrying my camera along which slowed me down just a bit.
Occasional unexpected earthly noises thrown by the bushes kept me alert. I told my self- this was a bad idea.
3/n
Read 8 tweets
Apr 3, 2022
A #thread on #wildlifephotography for beginners.

I hope this helps someone pursue one of the most enjoyable, thrilling & by far d most difficult forms of photography.

Do share & please please do read for fun! 🙏

BTW this photo won me the All India Tiger Photography Award.
1/n
Equipment- Now before I start on this, ‘I would like to tell you that please don’t go over board on spending lakhs of hard earned rupees before you have understood the basics of using a DSLR.’
Picking the right camera in your budget is much harder than it might appear.
2/n
Fast auto-focus, sturdy, and a fast burst are something you need to check in the body. ISO capability is also key as wildlife has only one source of light-The Sun.

More amount of money you spend, more the capabilities of the camera will be. But don’t go over board.
3/n
Read 23 tweets
Mar 30, 2022
This one is different #JungleStoriesBySagar a #Thread

It was 1230 am. Lights were off but both me & my room partner were awake. I had put on my earphones but realised he was saying something. I removed a ear piece & asked Kya Hua? So ja kal jaldi uthna hai.
1/n
No answer. But I could see he was upright. I put on the mobile light on him and he was sh!t scared. I said bhai kya hua? He said- "TIGER! I smiled and said relax yar. Dikh jayega kal. koi sapna dekha kya?"
He said "Nahi. Aawaz suni."
2/n
I was not sure whether to believe him. We had a couple of drinks before sleeping and he was new to me so had no clue how much 2 drinks meant for him. But in the jungles you give a benefit of doubt to everyone. So I was laying down and this time didnt put my earphones on.
3/n
Read 7 tweets
Mar 23, 2022
#Thread An incident from last year.

I was at Kanha and had come back to my lodge after the morning attempt (I call a safari an attempt).
I was sitting outside basking in the sun, having coffee and transferring the work to my laptop and was reviewing some good shots.

1/n
I could sense someone walking towards me but I usually ignore as most people want to touch my camera. A lady approached and said "Appko Dikha kya?" I said "Kya"? I very well knew what she was referring to- Obviously Tiger!
Her reply was borderline rude.

2/n
She said- "App kya dekhne aaye ho yahan?" I just looked at her and my look said a lot of things which she understood and again asked; "Appko Tiger dikha kya"? I replied haan Mada aur bache. She said Kahan dikhe? Now I was getting annoyed. I said Kanha zone 8 number pe.
3/n
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(