Michelle Skelton Profile picture
Sep 30, 2021 43 tweets 30 min read Read on X
Join me tonight at 5pm to continue our discussion of Hiring & Training in #Policing

THINKING CHALLENGE: Do you believe Affirmative Action is appropriate for police hiring?

#CRJ201 #PoliceForAChangingSociety
Good evening, friends! We are going to take a look at some of the issues we see in recruitment of police officers and challenges in current training.

So glad to have you follow along!
To get a quick sense of things, please let me know a little about you.

Are you a ....

As far as your social & political opinions, would say you ...

We just started today's discussion about Affirmative Action. As a hiring practice, do you support Affirmative Action?

Let's talk a little bit about diversity in our police departments.

Is diversity necessary for a police department to be effective?

One of the most controversial issues in police employment is affirmative action, an employer must take positive steps to remedy past discrimination

eeoc.gov/advancing-dive…

Opponents of AA argues it involves an illegal form of reverse discrimination, in which white or male applicants claim they were not hired because quotas required the hiring of applicants who had weaker credentials

sciencedirect.com/science/articl…

In 2016, in Fisher v. Texas, the Supreme Court ruled that is was constitutional for the Univ of Texas to use race as one of many factors in making undergraduate admission decisions.

How this decision affects police hiring is not clear

The best way to determine whether a department complies w/ the diversity recommendations is the equal employment opportunity (EEO) index

The EEO index, compFares a police department’s workforce with the racial and ethnic composition of the community it serves

Despite a successful push in 2016 to attract more black applicants to the police force, the Chicago Police Department has hired relatively few African-Americans

chicagoreporter.com/more-african-a…

@ChicagoReporter
Many people believe that officers from different backgrounds will be better able to relate to segments of the community

Much of the initial progress in the hiring of more African Americans, Hispanics, and women was a result of employment discrimination suits under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

As more & more women entered policing in the 1970s, and began working as patrol offices for the first time in police history, police departments had to change many male-centered policies

The entry of women also challenged many aspects of the male-dominated police subculture.

The 1964 Civil Rights Act outlawed employment discrimination and female officers were assigned to patrol duty on an equal basis with men

A report by the National Center for Women and Policing found a number of current barriers to the employment of women

The most significant challenge includes:

How can police women make society safer? @PD_PhD has some ideas ...

ted.com/talks/ivonne_r…

Much of the initial progress in the hiring of more African Americans, Hispanics, and women was a result of employment discrimination suits under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Successful suits produce a number of different results

"When we define racism as behaviors instead of feelings, we can measure it, and transform it from an impossible problem into a solvable one," says justice scientist, @DrPhilGoff

ted.com/talks/dr_phill…

The increase of diversity in hiring has had a significant although complex impact on policing.

Police departments see a fair number of challenges past recruitment & hiring.

Training is constantly discussed in the media as one way to remedy the current discord between the public and the police

One problem hindering one’s understanding of police training, however, is that although there are many descriptions of training programs

Many people focus only on pre-service police academy training.

#CRJ201
To ensure the highest quality of police service to the public, training needs to be an ongoing process including:
~ supervised field training,
~ regular roll-call training,
~ and annual in-service training

#CRJ201
The new approach to recruit training seeks to develop officers who are problem-solvers
~to assess a potentially dangerous situation,
~choose the appropriate response,
~and reassess the situation as it changes
~and change tactics accordingly

The major elements of the new approach to police training include
~de-escalation,
~tactical decision making,
~communication skills,
~and procedural justice.

THINKING CHALLENGE: Of the following, which training do you think police are in MOST need:

~de-escalation,
~tactical decision making,
~communication skills,
~and procedural justice

They also include new styles of teaching, including ~fewer lectures
~scenario-based teaching
~and a shift toward training officers training officers to think and use their judgement in difficult situations rather than simply to follow orders

THINKING CHALLENGE: What was your last training experience like?

THINKING CHALLENGE: If you attended the Academy, how long was your training?

THINKING CHALLENGE: How many hours of in-service training does your department require each year?

THINKING CHALLENGE: What type of training would you like to see have better attention?

THINKING CHALLENGE: What training was most beneficial to your career?

THINKING CHALLENGE: And what type of training would you be good never having to sit through again?

Thank you so kindly for your time this afternoon. I hope we hit on some interesting questions & topics in this brief look at recruitment & training.

What topic was most interesting?

I had wanted to spend more time discussing military service & police hiring, perhaps that can be a separate discussion.

Should veterans receive hiring preference?

Of the following topics, what should be more predominant in police training?

Were there any topics or questions I missed?

Lastly, I always appreciate feedback, how would you rate today's discussion?

Stay safe this weekend, we will be back next week to highlight the realities of being on the job. Huge "THANK YOU" to @CPD1617Scanner for spreading the discussion

Until then! ~ Michelle

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Michelle Skelton

Michelle Skelton Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @michelle_furlow

Oct 17, 2022
Good afternoon! Join me on Tuesday, 10am, cst, to discuss the development of subcultures. What subculture sounds interesting to hear more about?

#CRJ105 #Criminology #Chapter06 #SubcultureTheory
Oh boy, I'm going to need some ENERGY from y'all this morning! I took a photo to share that I'm ready to teach ... and THIS was the result ...

#LookingLessThanEnthused #SendCoffee #LetsTryThisAgain #CRJ105 Image
Oooookay, take two! Let's try this again. Good morning, got your coffee ready?

Let's discuss ...

#CRJ105 #Criminology #SubcultureTheory #Chapter6 Image
Read 98 tweets
Oct 4, 2022
Happy Tuesday! Tomorrow at 2pm, cst, we are taking a look at social class, crime, and the #AmericanDream.

Do YOU believe in the American Dream?

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #SocialStructure #Strain
Hello! I had office hours in A109 this morning, now I'll be here live tweeting for criminology. I'm glad you can join me

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #SocialStructure #Strain
I'll be updating the grade book for Unit 02, I should finish tomorrow, so keep an eye on your grades, I'm happy to answer any questions.

Let's jump into #StrainTheory #CRJ105
Read 41 tweets
Sep 26, 2022
Happy Monday, all!

Tomorrow morning, Tuesday, at 10:30am, cst, we will be introducing Psychological Trait Theory.

To jump start the discussion, how would you describe MY personality? Your thoughts not listed here? Add in the comments!

#CRJ105 #PsychologicalTraitTheory
The results are in! The internet has spoken, apparently I am perceived as ...

#PsychologicalTraitTheory #Criminology #CRJ105
What? Friendly?

Caring?

Serious?

Yeah, who says!?!

#PsychologicalTraitTheory #Criminology #CRJ105
Read 74 tweets
Sep 12, 2022
Good morning, friends! Join me at Wednesday, 9/14, 1:30pm, cst, to discuss juveniles as victims, offenders, and participants in the JJS.

THINKING CHALLENGE: What is the biggest challenge facing juveniles today?

#CRJ107 #JuvenileDelinquency
A great discussion this morning in #CRJ105 where we discussed the tenets of the #ClassicalSchool, now onto Juvenile Delinquency #CRJ107 Image
I'm so delighted you could follow along today. For a quick roll call, are you ...

#CRJ107 #JuvenileDelinquency
Read 63 tweets
Sep 12, 2022
THINKING CHALLENGE: From your common sense, why do people break the law?

Join me at Tuesday, 9/12, 10:30am cst, today to discuss!
#CRJ105 #MoraineValley
Good morning friends, thank you for joining me to discuss the history of Criminology, covering Chapter 03.

#HistoryOfCriminology #CRJ105 #Criminology Image
Before we get started with Unit 02, I wanted to check in how the course is progressing for you so far. Now that we've got one unit under our belt, how is online learning treating you?

#CRJ105 #CRJ105CourseSurvey
Read 97 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
Join me at 10:30am, cst, tomorrow, 9/6: Did One Group of Undercover Cops Try to Arrest Other Undercover Cops?

Police chief: "This is probably one of the most embarrassing things in this department since I’ve been appointed."

#CRJ105 #MoraineValley #MeasuringCrime
Good MORNING Criminology fans, I'm here in the home office, excited to get started talking about the #MeasurementOfCrime, who else is feeling the return to work after the long weekend?

Well coffee up, we have a lot of fun concepts to discuss this morning ...

I hope you join me as we take a look at Chapter 02, #TrueCrimeVSUrbanLegend and the #MeasurementOfCrime

Read 76 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(