Semrush Profile picture
Oct 7, 2021 13 tweets 10 min read Read on X
Ever hear the quote “Without data, you’re just another person with an opinion”? For SEOs, data allows us to prove our value, support working theories, spot threats/opportunities, learn from success/failures, and create impactful next step business decisions.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Interpreting SEO data to inform next steps
While anyone can look at data and say traffic went up or down, it’s what you do with it that makes a difference. This is why I shape my insights into the “three what questions.” 1) What happened? 2) What caused it to happen? 3) What do we do next?

@cbrodzky #SEOThread While anyone can look at data and say traffic went up or dow
Here’s an example of an insight crafted during COVID-19 last year. I had noticed some organic traffic fluctuations in January and February (it’s an international client), but the reason why traffic decreased only became more obvious in March.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Visits from organic search decreased 13% MoM and 59% YoY. Th
Here’s another example from “2021 Algorithm Hurricane Season.” Organic traffic notably decreased during the core updates; however, organic revenue increased, which is the most important thing for them.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Organic traffic decreased 16% month over month and 12% year
When it comes to spotting potential insights based on the data, first look for noticeable increases and decreases. Anytime something makes me say “that looks interesting” is when I may have found something worth mentioning.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Google Analytics daily view with a noticeable spike in traff
Sometimes there may not be a clear reason as to why there were shifts in performance metrics. Despite conducting a deep dive, nothing is jumping out. When that happens, keep an eye on data and provide an update the following month.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread
Sometimes there might not be a next step recommendation. An example of this would be if organic traffic remained flat. The next step might be for the client to implement SEO recommendations if they hadn’t. Other times, it’s to continue monitoring data.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Google Analytics daily view with organic traffic and goal va
Insights can usually only be derived if there’s a good sample size of data. Sites with little to no traffic can be harder to interpret and craft next step business decisions around.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Google Analytics daily view showing little to no visits. The
You may need to view multiple tools to help with uncovering why there were shifts in performance metrics. The example below showed a direct correlation between Google Analytics organic traffic and a core keyword in Google Trends.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread A side-by-side comparison of organic traffic in Google Analy
Adding layers to data can also help with uncovering what happened and providing correlations. Think about the question you’re trying to answer, then add a primary dimension, time frame comparison, and if needed a secondary dimension.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread
When crafting next steps, ask yourself questions such as 1) Is there enough content to answer the query? 2) Does the article solve a problem? 3) Does the keyword and page match user intent? 4) Is the content easy to read 5) Is there a clear next step?

@cbrodzky #SEOThread When crafting next steps, ask yourself questions such as 1)
Annotate, annotate, annotate! Think about both online and offline activities that could have had an impact on the data. This can include 1) Was there a recent algo update? 2) Did a team member present at a conference 3) Did we start a PPC campaign?

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Google Analytics annotations listing out recent potential Go
Final thoughts. It takes time and practice to interpret SEO data. Be kind to yourself as you learn. It’s also possible for two people to look at the same data and craft different insights. Share your insights with your clients and ask them questions.

@cbrodzky #SEOThread Final thoughts. It takes time and practice to interpret SEO

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Semrush

Semrush Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @semrush

Jul 3
Okay so you might know the most basic information about your audience, but do you know how they really feel and act online?
Let’s show you how to uncover psychographics and demographics with the Audience Intelligence app 👀
Just enter the handle of an X account that has a relevant follower base. (For example, your own handle or the handle of a popular influencer in your niche.)
Once the report loads you can dive into the audience’s characteristics with the tabs at the top. For example, the Demographics tab will give you high-level info like gender, age, and location.

But we want to dive deeper.Image
• Go to Interest Categories to see what their top interests are.
• Go to the “Personality” tab to see details about their personality, needs, and values.
• The Buying Mindset tab will show you what influences their purchasing decisions the most.
• Online habits will show you how & where they spend their time onlineImage
Read 4 tweets
Nov 17, 2022
Hey 👋

I’m Erica, the Head of Content at @getgrizzle, a content marketing agency.

I'm taking over SEMrush's account to talk quality content.

-Why it matters in SEO strategies
-How to scale it

Learn how to make your content rank & convert:

@ericasmyname #SEOThread
Quality content builds trust, traffic, & conversions.

⚡️It's:

-Intent-driven
-Authoritative
-Empowering
-Educational
-Memorable
-Interesting
-Engaging
-Targeted
-Detailed
-Helpful
-Unique

🛑 It's NOT:

-Regurgitated, fluffy, lazy, boring, & unhelpful.

@ericasmyname #SEOThread
Relevant content is more likely to resonate with your audience.

This leads to more:

-Clicks
-Engagement
-Backlinks

Which positively impacts rankings, authority, awareness, & revenue.

Low-quality content might rank but won't convert as successfully.

@ericasmyname #SEOThread
Read 10 tweets
Nov 17, 2022
Did you miss our Twitter Space yesterday with @crestodina and @HennekeD?👀

No worries, listen to it here🎙️twitter.com/i/spaces/1BdGY…
Our guest expert @crestodina had some great takeaways about what to do when you're out of content ideas👀

#SemrushOpenSpaces
What posts are performing the best? Here are some key takeaways from @HennekeD 👇

#SemrushOpenSpaces
Read 4 tweets
Nov 8, 2022
Have you read blogs titled ‘12 best footer examples’ to find one brilliant example and one that’s blah?

When I wrote for @klaviyo, I had to sort through 300 emails to find the perfect 15.

I was pulling my hair out finding ones highlighting Klaviyo AND the article’s intent. Image
🔥 So I developed a matrix for scoring quality examples👇

(My actual Matrix for Klaviyo in the last tweet!)
👉1. How recent is the example? (Importance 5/5)

The world–especially the digital one–changed completely post-covid. Any examples from before 2020 should be analyzed heavily for relevance today.
Read 12 tweets
Nov 7, 2022
A seemingly simple question, but we want to know…what does lead gen mean to you? bit.ly/3yxu5ht.

A1: Taking on any new project that pays the bills
A2: It depends…
A3: Pursuing & vetting businesses to partner with
A4: Other (comment below)
Because of lead generation’s complexity, we wanted to share a couple of ways to unleash your lead gen powers⚡️

Industry research⭐️
Discover who in your industry could benefit from your team’s talents by searching sites like the BBB, local Chamber of Commerce or Market Explorer.
Niche conferences⭐️
Speaking at conferences related to your target audience presents you as a thought leader & exposes you to a large, relevant audience.
Read 4 tweets
Nov 3, 2022
SEO’s make recommendations 100% of the time. But according to a recent Ttwitter poll, they only get implemented around 30-40% of the time. 😱So what gives? Why is implementation such a blocker 🛑 and how can you overcome it?

#SEOthread @JohnMorabitoSEO
Let’s start with the top reasons your recommendations sit in a dev queue.

✅Lack of understanding of the why and how
✅Lack of senior-level buy-in
✅Not tied to OKRs or KPIs
✅Not properly prioritized
✅Simply not possible

Each can be overcome.
#seothread @JohnMorabitoSEO
Lack of understanding of the why and how behind an SEO recommendation is a sure fire way to not get anything done. 😕 Make sure the team you are asking for help understands exactly what they need to do, and WHY you are asking them to do it. 💬

#seothread @JohnMorabitoSEO
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(