Here a little meta recap on why #copper is in a super-cycle & why I am bullish short-, mid- & long-term Dr Copper!

Let me start with a shocker: in the very short term we may well run out of Cu inventory. How about that? A week ago I tweeted the below...

A week later and we are at 167,250 tonnes of LME inventory on warrants cancelled for London. Again, cancelled = taken out of inventory. Note however that LME only has 242,610 tonnes of inventory. If this continues, London may run out of inventory this year! That is super bullish.
I explained that here for all metal exchange inventories combined (London; New York; Shanghai).

Another s-t measure of tighness are smelter Treatment Charges of Cu concentrate in China. They are historically low - a way of saying: "deliver me the copper even at at production loss for us bc by the time I sell it, prices will have gone up enough."

The relative price action of Cu scrap (99% pure, blue line) vs refined copper (white line) in China (which consumes >50% of copper concentrate) also allows to assess short term strength or weakness. Answer: scrap appreciated faster than refined Cu - bullish!
There is more. Copper trades at massive backwardation (cash contract higher than forward contracts) - which in commodities land is a "bullish term structure" - an incentive to sell at spot now to avoid inventory holding cost later.

Obviously, the "elefant in the room" is the China development slowdown? Will it affect overall Cu demand? Answer: likely no. We argue green demand (grid, wind, solar, EVs) will over-compensate much lower construction demand. Message: don't expect China to use less.
In the past, we explained Cu's price correlation with AUD (as proxy for China's thirst for comdies). Note that Cu broke higher of its 10y correlation, likely significantly higher as an expression of its structural supply deficit for years to come.

What about its demand? Super-cycles are demand driven. Well, to comply with climate targets, the world will have to electrify transport, reduce emissions at electricty generation or industrly level & make buildings "#fitfor55". All of it will need much more copper. How much?
Pls, @Bob_McNally believe in green change. It is compliance-driven! Take the car industry where BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicles) have officially become the core strategy for all relevant OEM as the only way to comply with regulatory emission standards from EU to China.
In other words, metal demand such as #copper is turbo-charged and compliance-driven!
Meanwhile, the mining industry struggles to find new resource or bring existing reserves on-line which sets the scene for a structural deficit for years, if not decades, to come!
We at Burggraben modelled out EVERY SINGLE copper mine & future mine project out there (>600) to verify the supply challenge & NOT rely on often shallow consulting work (from CRU or S&P). Our verdict: there is no way mines will deliver the copper the industry requires.
Take Coldelco, the Saudi Arabia of Cu. It has too much debt, is capital starved (state-company with mandatory dividends, etc) & needs to replace 74% of its production just to stay still. We spoke to countless insiders & tell you with 100% certainty - it will not happen.
Meanwhile, the cost curve is going higher every day, due to lower grades, higher cost, more regulation (e.g. water management in Chile) or new taxes. The list is endless. Expect the marginal copper pound to come at cost > $6/lb by 2023.
Chile & Peru (45% of Cu supply) alone will make sure our pretictions on cost come true. We discussed their left wing Government developments (e.g. higher royalties) in countless tweets such as the below...

Here is something I like to explain to our clients when they ask "how higher copper prices can go"? Copper is NOT oil. Higher prices won't hurt the consumer. My guess is that prices will overshoot by 2024 & will be > $10/lb. There will be a time of panic without a doubt.
As the mining industry won't deliver the project required to supply the market, prices will go high enough to distruct demand. But remember, copper has a wide moat. It cannot easily be replaced with aluminium (which is an inferior conductor...)
So embrace substitution because with the current Cu-Al ratio being back at a very low 3.2x, I am not very optimistic about new offshore wind projects wanting to risk experimenting with the inferior properties of aluminium to wire-up to the grid at subsea levels.
But they will have to because if we were to use as much copper as in the EU for offshore wind projects (which is where the US & China are heading), then we do not have the copper required only because of offshore wind alone!
Meanwhile, aluminium compares dismal at level of "embodied energy" against copper. Aluminium, in essence, is energy. But isn't the entire green change about using less fossil energy, not more? Well, I guess it can be fixed by moving all aluminium production to SWE or CH (hydro).
However, it is possible that copper will replace silver in solar production. You get my point by now!
End of thread.

Thx for reading & pls feel free to reach out on DM or email alexander.stahel@burggraben.ch

Txh for sharing.

โ€ข โ€ข โ€ข

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
ใ€€

Keep Current with Alexander Stahel ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช

Alexander Stahel ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @BurggrabenH

Apr 9
Nvidia sold a lot of new AI chips over the past 18 months and is forecast to grow its unit sales aggressively.

But does everybody understand what such forecast would mean for electricity demand in the West?

A ๐Ÿงต

1/n #AI
Step by step:

The average Swiss household consumes 4000-5000kWh of power pa. It is similar for most Western HH.

Letโ€™s assume a 4-person household consumes 5000kWh per annum.

That translates into 570 Watt per hour (5000 x 1000 / 365 days / 24h)โ€ฆ

2/n Image
The latest version of Nvidiaโ€™s processors for AI purposes is called H100 SXM.

How much power does it consume?

Answer: 700 Watt (per hour).

In other words, one processor will consume 20% more power than a 4-person household consumes pa!

3/n Image
Read 10 tweets
Mar 12
India likes a "GOOD" deal - also in crude oil - and is about to teach Russia a lesson what that means.

Spoiler 1: it's not a pretty one!
Spoiler 2: China & Turkey will learn quickly..!

Let's look at the Indian-Russo crude oil bromance.

1/x Thread
Before the invasion in Feb 2022, Russia exported some 2.8mbpd (55%) of its 5.5mbpd crude to Europe by way of pipeline (Druzhba) & sea transportation (seaborne).

But not just crude oil...

2/x Image
Russia also sold products such as diesel or jet to Europe for a total of 1.4mbpd in petroleum product exports.

In other worlds, G7 sanctioned as introduced in Dec 2022 required 4.2+mbpd of crude & products to be re-shuffeled in globally. Big numbers!

3/x Image
Read 18 tweets
Jan 16
For now, Red Sea disruptions due to Houthi attacking commercial vessels randomly remains a ton-mile story, not a crude oil story.

Within different shipping segments the picture of diverting cargo around the Suez Canal remains a Container Vessel story, to a less extent also a Product Tanker & Crude Oil tanker story.

1/5 Some high frequency data...!
Container Vessels owners have been the most consequent in diverting cargo.

Since Nov, the number of container vessels crossing the Suez Canal has collapsed by 80% in both directions.

2/n Image
Crude Oil tankers from the Middle East (Saudi Arabia; UAE; Iraq; Kuwait; Qatar or Oman) to Europe are also lower but our high frequency data does not yet show a similar collapse.

It also nicely illustrates how changing Russian crude flows (Urals diverted to India & China and away from Europe) have increased traffic through the Suez Canal - good for Egypt as Russian dark fleet vessels will or cannot seek an alternative route to ship oil from the Baltics to India.

3/n @OKalleklevImage
Read 5 tweets
Jan 7
Brazil is is an interesting microcosm to study in the oil industry.

It's a large, growing consumer of petroleum products. It's the 8th largest producer of crude oil in Dec 2023 as well as a large producer & consumer of biofuels.

Most importantly, it's energy agency reports the data in detail & timely (unlike most countries globally).

1/n
Brazil's resource wealth (mainly offshore) is well documented but it struggled for years to follow through.

Finally, it does with an exit rate of 3.9mbpd of oil production in 2023. Only the US, SA, RUS, CAD, IRQ, CN & IRN (incl condi; in this order) produced more that month. That's 50% growth since Jan 2018!

2/nImage
Better still, most such production growth reaches the international market. In Dec 2023, Brazil exported 1.7mbpd of crude oil - an ATH.

Remember, in oil net exports is the key number to measure.

3/n @UrbanKaoboy Image
Read 4 tweets
Nov 8, 2023
Shall we look at the European NatGas market together?

Will Europe have to freeze this winter, after much mild weather luck last winter?
Will TTF drag coal prices up as last winter?

Thread
1/n
Our rolling forecast upfront for those of you with a little ADD:

Best-estimate today, Europe will exit the winter 23/24 in March at or around 40% storage levels (red line) which suggests TTF doesn't have to spike, ceteris paribus. Is it a bear? Neither.

Let me explain.

2/n Image
Natgas has unique characteristics for a commodity:

Supply is inelastic while demand is highly ELASTIC: Colder temps >> demand goes up exponentially & vice versa.

Not all demand is equal but heating buildings (HH & retail demand) is 65-70% of winter demand (Oct-Mar).

3/n Image
Read 16 tweets
Sep 24, 2023
Are you monitoring Chinese gasoline consumption, metals demand or Battery Electric Vehicles sales?

I don't care, pay close attention to what @BYDCompany is doing. They are the real thing. Charlie & Buffett explained it many years ago.

1/n A thread
x.com/BYDCompany/staโ€ฆ
In 2023, BYD will sell some 3 million passanger cars, of which 1.5m will likely be Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) & the rest Plug-in Hybrids (PHEV). At least that is what we see coming from tracking monthly figures.

2/n Note: table incomplete due to poor company breakouts Image
BYD's Chairman shared somewhat bigger sales targets recently. He hopes to "double last year's sales to 3.6 million units".

3/n
asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Elecโ€ฆ
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(