James Stephenson Profile picture
Oct 30, 2021 ā€¢ 20 tweets ā€¢ 7 min read ā€¢ Read on X
Here's my latest Tesla forecast. Several of you, after reading one of my 69-tweet threads, requested a "420" thread, so here it is:

šŸ€ The first tweet has 4 green charts
2āƒ£0āƒ£ tweets in total

The last 4 of 20 tweets contain previously unreleased detail on 2022-2023.
$TSLA
/1
This chart shows Tesla's actual revenue by quarter.

Please note that Q4 2021 has not happened yet. šŸ‘€
/2
Here are the deliveries I'm forecasting for Tesla by site, by model, by quarter.

Rather than assuming GF4 will never build Model 3, I have just pushed it out 2 more years, which means I actually have an unannounced European model starting production before Model 3 now.
/3
While the previous chart showed all models (including a couple of unannounced ones I expect), this S3XY chart shows only the 4 models Tesla makes today, including vehicles that will be produced in Texas and Germany.
/4
This chart shows just Tesla's top 2 selling models.

For the next few years:
Model 3 will be made only in Fremont & Shanghai
Model Y will be made in Fremont, Shanghai, Texas, & Germany

...allowing it to become šŸ¤ž the world's #1 selling vehicle (by revenue, then by units).
/5
This chart shows the expense related to Elon's 2018 CEO Performance Award (stock compensation plan), by quarter.

$1.974B of the $2.283B possible expense has already hit as all of the market cap work is done, so expect relatively low quarterly expense from now on.
/6
This chart shows the breakdown of Tesla's revenue by source, on an average dollar basis.

I expect regulatory credits (in orange) to become a smaller and smaller contributor on a percentage basis as time goes by.

Automotive revenue includes FSD sales, which I expect to grow.
/7
Similarly, this chart shows how Tesla spends its average dollar of revenue.

"Everything Else Excl. Stock Comp" includes taxes, which is why it decreases in Q4 2021 when I think Tesla will take a 1-time benefit from prior years' losses and then pay more taxes as profits grow.
/8
Here's a chart showing what I forecast for Non-GAAP Earnings per Delivery.

The $8,653 profit/delivery Tesla made in Q3 alone is actually much higher than the TTM average.

I boxed the quarters impacted favorably by that 1-time tax benefit from prior years' losses.
/9
"But what about regulatory credits?"

The šŸ»šŸ»šŸ» have mostly given up on this popular 2020 criticism, probably for the reason illustrated on this chart:

Even if you just subtract the regulatory credits revenue from earnings (not valid accounting), there's still a profit.

/10
Here's my forecast for quarterly adjusted EBITDA.

This assumes (among other things) successful ramping of the new factories, Tesla will be able to supply them all with cells, a few unannounced models, enough progress on FSD to increase its price steadily, etc.
/11
This chart shows a truly remarkable achievement on Tesla's part: improving gross margin percentages over the past 4 years even as revenue per delivery declined significantly.
/12
Here's the slide I would typically show first. Everything but the last column are actuals now.

Any automaker would trade for the up-and-to-the-right trend Tesla has shown over the last 8 quarters, against severe headwinds.
/13
This slide shows deliveries, revenue, and revenue per delivery by model.
/14
Here's the income statement I'm forecasting for Q4, alongside the last 4 years of actuals.

I realize that's not showing you very much of my forecast for coming years, so stay tuned...
/15
Here's some share count, COS %, Margin %, and delivery by site and model info.

I forecast 69 Model Y deliveries in Q4 from both Germany and Texas, and I expect those forecasts won't be off by more than about 69.
/16
OK, here's the Income Statement I'm forecasting, including 2022-2023, by quarter, for the first time.

The growing order backlog bodes well for Tesla's ability to take additional pricing and introduce new models, as cell supply may permit.
/17
Here's a bunch of metrics I use to forecast the CEO Compensation plan expense, a breakdown of stock compensation by type, non-GAAP earnings and EPS, and other metrics that may be of interest.
/18
This page shows metrics relating to P/E, PEG, a reconciliation of GAAP net income to Adjusted EBITDA (Non-GAAP), regulatory credits as a % of automotive revenue, automotive gross margin excluding regulatory credits, and total production, inventory, and deliveries.
/19
And, finally, here are the deliveries I'm projecting by site and model, by quarter, through 2023.

You made it to the end of the 4 20 thread! šŸ„‚šŸ„³šŸŽ‰šŸ¾Enjoy your weekend.

/20

ā€¢ ā€¢ ā€¢

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh
怀

Keep Current with James Stephenson

James Stephenson Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ICannot_Enough

Aug 17
Hello, friends. I have updated my Tesla charts and quarterly earnings forecast through 2025 and will post videos publicly over the next 2 weeks (subscribe if you want early access).

Let's see some pretty charts for the first 34 slides.
1/69 $TSLA Image
Tesla may yet break all previous production & delivery records in 2024, as they've done for many years now. ... and I expect they'll do it again in 2025, 2026, 2027...
šŸš€ The S3XY growth story is really just getting started...
2/69 Image
Tesla makes the two best-selling luxury vehicles in the world: Model 3 and Model Y.
Model 3 sales are still growing, but not by as much as Model Y, which continues ramping production up at both of Tesla's newest factories (Austin and Berlin).
3/69 Image
Read 69 tweets
Jan 14
Hello, friends. I have updated my Tesla charts and quarterly earnings forecast through 2025 and will make some videos tomorrow and post them publicly over the next 10 days (subscribe if you want early access).

Let's see some pretty charts for the first 30 slides.

1/69 $TSLA Image
Tesla will break all previous production & delivery records in 2024, by a wide margin, as they've done for many years now.

... and then they'll do it again in 2025, and 2026, and 2027... šŸš€

The growth story is really just getting started...

2/69 Image
Tesla makes the two best-selling luxury vehicles in the world: Model 3 and Model Y.

Model 3 sales are still growing, but not by as much as Model Y, which continues ramping production up at both of Tesla's newest factories (Austin and Berlin).

3/69 Image
Read 71 tweets
Sep 11, 2023
Hello, friends. I have updated my Tesla charts and quarterly forecast through 2025 and will make a bunch of videos about what's changed (subscribe for early access).

Q3 may not break many records, because factory upgrades limited production, but Q4 probably will. šŸ“ˆ

1/69 $TSLA Image
Tesla will break all previous production & delivery records in 2023, by a wide margin, as they've done for many years now.

... and then they'll do it again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that... šŸš€

The growth story is really just getting started...

2/69 Image

3/69 Image
Read 69 tweets
Jul 27, 2023
Now that Ford, GM, and Tesla have all reported their first half of 2023 earnings results, I have updated my charts comparing the trailing 12 months' actuals against each other and the prior 7 years.

Despite selling less than half as many vehicles:
šŸ§µ $F $GM $TSLA Image
... and collecting barely more than half as much revenue: Image
... Tesla is earning more profit: šŸ¤“
(GAAP Net Income) Image
Read 9 tweets
Jul 17, 2023
I have updated my earnings forecast model and charts with the record production & deliveries already reported for Q2.

Here's a chart showing the deliveries by model and production location in my forecast model:

Tesla doesn't report actual deliveries by model and productionā€¦ https://t.co/knGxjzdKjMtwitter.com/i/web/status/1ā€¦

If you're used to seeing my forecast threads, this one's going to flow a bit differently.
I decided to lead off with the same 4 familiar delivery charts, but next I'm skipping straight to my EPS estimate and income statement forecast table, for those only interested in theā€¦ https://t.co/RyM8apPQu4twitter.com/i/web/status/1ā€¦

Here's a chart of the Adjusted EBITDA I'm forecasting for Tesla alongside the history of this profit metric going back to 2018.

I don't have any robotaxi fare or autonomous robot revenue in my forecast, but I do assume that FSD Beta performance will gradually but steadilyā€¦ https://t.co/0LqPuzeuODtwitter.com/i/web/status/1ā€¦

Read 10 tweets
May 7, 2023
Here is my latest 69-tweet $TSLA forecast šŸ§µ.

I will record a series of videos tomorrow discussing these charts and my detailed forecast model, making 1 video Public per day at youtube.com/jrs97t (my subscribers will have early access).

The growth story continues. šŸ“ˆ

1/69 Image
Earlier today, a notorious short seller claimed Tesla will never sell more than 400,000 vehicles in a quarter again... šŸ¤£

Meanwhile, Tesla continues expanding global production of its S3XY lineup, and record deliveries will follow in 2023 and into the future.

2/69 Image
Tesla makes the two best-selling luxury vehicles in the world: Model 3 and Model Y. Model 3 sales are still growing, but not by as much as Model Y, which continues ramping production up at both of Tesla's newest factories (Austin and Berlin).

3/69 Image
Read 69 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(