#LittleAmal came to Glasgow and #COP26 today for a walk.

I’ve lived the stories of preparations with school children to welcome her for months now. The ups & downs, of rehearsals held ably by @Evs_C with NTS including acres of time from @Tawona_Sithole from @UofGUnescoRILA Image
But nothing had prepared me for how moving I would find the puppetry, dramaturgy and unscripted spontaneous reactions of the children as and after they performed. Little Amal greets young pe...
There is something so touching about #LittleAmal’s poise; the sad, slightly harrowed expression of curiosity in each encounter; the tenderness. And I found myself weeping all day between my own encounters with her and the people gathered. LittleAmal meets Storm
In each child’s hand reaching out in friendship; each song sung in welcome; each chant of “We are brave” I was torn in two remembering hands of welcome & care around my own refugee family and hands of hostility insisting on fingerprinting; detaining; humiliating; shackling Image
“She’s dancing’” shouts a child in such glee and delight that #LittleAmal has joined in and responded wholeheartedly to their soulful welcome signing and songs. And the dances we cannot share as separated family flooded in with the longing.
As I process through the #GovanFteeState and hear @IAMKP break me apart again with #EnoughIsEnough sung to mark the meeting of #Storm and #LittleAmal the refugee I feel both lost and found; visible and invisible. Storm meets Amal Govan Cross
It’s my job to think these emotional highways and byways in art and music, theatre and texture and I am used to the terrain and being in amongst the daily, exhausting despair that is standing firm against the hostile actions of States. Image
But not every emotion or memory can be thought. A researcher interrupted my thoughts as I followed Little Amal: “I am a researcher. Can you tell me what you think of this?”

“Will it make a difference?”

And I was at a loss.
Maybe better questions will come but #EnoughIsEnough - #LittleAmal met #Storm in Glasgow for #Cop26 and young and old lined the streets.

Meanwhile the expulsions of many #LittleAmals gather pace & in violent power

And today, the dam of my tears broke. Thanks #LittleAmal Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Alison Phipps አሊሰን 🧡🕊️

Alison Phipps አሊሰን 🧡🕊️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @alison_phipps

Mar 17
Yes, it gets harder. Maybe it’s because the world has now seen through the lies; stopped clutching to the meaningless phrases served up as propaganda, is giving money and protest time as a habit now, not exception 1/
Maybe we’ve all been too wet and cold on the streets begging for a ceasefire, for an end to deliberate starvation, laying out children’s clothes on the cold earth in protest now actions which are regular as clockwork. 2/
Maybe its the opening of timelines and feeds knowing that there is only a worsening of the horror, a worsening of the lying, a worsening of the starving, a worsening of what seems like madness in our leaders who cannot even vote for what is glaringly obvious 3/
Read 10 tweets
Nov 29, 2023
International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People

The greatest security is a just peace and greatest solidarity is learning how to achieve that through non violent means.

Maybe learn about Deir Yassim and if in Glasgow visit the memorial today. Deir Yassin Palestine monument from First Nakba in Kelvingrove
Or - If in Glasgow or Edinburgh go to the Gaza Monologues

Members of our teams in Palestine, Zimbabwe and Scotland have performed these powerful pieces over the years @UofGUnescoRILA @Tawona_Sithole

Today at The Tramway 2/

stellarquines.co.uk/show/the-gaza-…
@UofGUnescoRILA Maybe learn about Sabeel - Liberation Theology for Palestine-Israel and Kairos Palestine 3/

sabeel-kairos.org.uk
Read 11 tweets
Nov 25, 2023
Today is International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

For last 3 years I have sustained an international cultural project with leaders in Ghana, Mexico, Scotland, Morocco, Zimbabwe & Gaza for eradication of GBV

Israel has eliminated our work in Gaza. 1/ Art work showing musical notes on barbed wire staves with sea in background
The UN reports that 67% of those killed the IDF are women and children.

No percentage is acceptable in the work to eliminate violence against women.

These war crimes must be properly documented and prosecuted in the ICC, following the protocols.

2/who.int/news/item/03-1…
When I say Israel has eliminated our work I mean that every institution and NGO that was part of our work had been destroyed. There is no infrastructure left since Israel eliminated it, to enact the project in Gaza.

I mean families we worked with not even buried in graveyards 3/
Read 8 tweets
Mar 11, 2023
What a swirl - and designed to be - that's the performative cruelty of declaring culture wars and open season on anyone who dares to leave a place where they have been abused or persecuted. 1/
All wars - those of words and cultures and those with weapons - are deadly in intent. Necropolitics is the word Achille Mbembe the great Cameroonian Philosopher has used to describe this. A politics of death 2/
In all wars but especially where a particular group of people are singled out for deportation & for varieties of eradication there are various ways in which language and censorship of all forms of art - media, education, speech - take shape. Each specific context is different 3/
Read 20 tweets
Dec 9, 2022
My heartfelt apologies to everyone @SDVisitors last night who was hoping to hear me celebrating 20th anniversary and offer words of sense-making and maybe soothing in the face of cruelty of detention. Sadly my husband had an accident and I received an emergency call at 5pm 1/
He will be fine - very shaken - head trauma and a broken rib it seems and quite the shiner this morning - thanks to @GlasgowSubway staff especially Kevin for care and help. 2/
It made me thankful that I - unlike all those in #detention - can know care; can draw on the love & humour of friends & family; can find understanding and belief when we say something terrible has happened - unlike those subject to the culture of disbelief in the Home Office 3/
Read 8 tweets
Jan 28, 2022
Full article: Cuts destroy, hurt, kill: a critical metaphor analysis of the response of UK academics to the UK overseas aid budget funding cuts

And it’s OUT our open access article on #ODA #UKRI #GCRF cuts and their effects - lead Maria Grazia Imperiale tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.10…
“We identified the following metaphors: CUTS ARE AN ENTITY; CUTS ARE A THREAT, CUTS ARE ILLNESS, CUTS ARE VIOLENCE; plus, on the other hand, RESEARCH IS HEALTH, RESEARCH IS A JOURNEY, RESEARCH IS CONNECTION.” @kentbuse @VolcanoJenni @claire_horwell @CUSP_Network @MIDEQHub 2/
“First, we suggest that the metaphors used have a persuasive and evaluative aim and function. Second, we open up a space for an interdisciplinarity between CMA and ‘idioms of distress’.” 3/
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(