Richard Woods Profile picture
Nov 17, 2021 5 tweets 3 min read Read on X
This is just a short thread containing all my present images on PDA (off the top of my head. Trying to group them in some sort of relevance.
So 4 circle Venn diagram is my version of Soppitt (2021, p299). The 5 circle is my own one based on current research results.
First image is the demand-management cycle (which should be in print soon). Second is my 3D model for viewing PDA.
First image is from Rosen et al (2021). The second image is my one based on the Rosen et al image, with "hoovering up" PDA features which "halo" the DSM-5 autism criteria.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Richard Woods

Richard Woods Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Richard_Autism

Oct 7
I have a lot of issues with how some are attempting to define "Pathological Demand-Avoidance".

Seemingly arbitrarily claiming demand-avoidance is different in nature, because it is illogical/ irrational, from logical/ rational is one of them.
What is logical/ rational vs irrational/ logical is inherently subjective and value judgements, often often specific. Often PDA literature notes this is usually defined by an external observer's perspective.
Who gets to decide, if demand-avoidance is rational/ logical vs irrational/ illogical?
Read 20 tweets
Sep 28
Thread on draft slides for Broader cultural context of “Pathological Demand Avoidance” (PDA) “Profile of ASD” video.

Video should be published weekend of 28th-29th of September 2024.
Below is the title slide for this presentation. Image
Usual caveats:

Text may change slightly from what is video.

Text from slides common to videos, like my perspective/ background etc will be left out.

Will show references slides, but not text from reference slides.
Read 58 tweets
Sep 23
If you want an example, of why I am so critical of PDA Society's so called guidance on PDA diagnoses, the thread by @AnnMemmott highlights flaws when research only involves people with certain outlooks.
As I explain in the document below the so called guidance by PDA Society on how to identify PDA is biased by who they included in the research & why they asked them.
rationaldemandavoidance.com/wp-content/upl…
Explained in reflections on recent @LancetChildAdol PDA articles its choice define PDA as within-person condition. If PDA Society had invited people with broader perspectives on PDA, probably would have produced different results for their research report
threadreaderapp.com/thread/1836822…
Read 9 tweets
Sep 19
Jonathan Green's response to Gillberg et al (2024) has also been published. Among other things, it calls for a transactional approach to PDA & transdiagnostic approach to PDA research.
thelancet.com/journals/lanch…
Gillberg et al (2024b) response article seems relatively well balanced. Recognises points both Jonathan Green & I make, while arguing for their proposed PDA research agenda. Key point is importance of external observer value judgement about nature of PDA though!
Gillberg et al (2024b) calls for further research across stakeholders, moving away from mainly caregiver report. Which I agree with, e.g., see below:
frontiersin.org/research-topic…
Read 59 tweets
Aug 28
What's on my mind?

Almost complete vacuum in literature on Non-speaking PDAers/ PDAers with Intellectual Disability

If possible, I should mention that in the editorial!

I am bloody good at my understanding & knowledge of PDA, e.g., Newson's likely contribution to that vacuum.
Take below diagram from Newson 1996, p6. It shows Newson's Pervasive Developmenetal Coding Disorders grouping, which has PDA separate from autism, but also related to dyslexia & dysphasia. Diagram has an intelligence/ potential line, low on left (autism), high on right (PDA). Image
Newson arguably had an outdated view of link between intelligence & ability. Newson seems to assumes PDA is related to high intelligence. We know this as in Newson et al (2003, p596), states IQ is meaningless due to their demand-avoidance; i.e., lacking data for intelligence.
Read 10 tweets
Jul 26
Oh demand-avoidance welcome back into life for the infinitive time. Oh but wait, is this demand-avoidance rational, or irrational? Who gets to decide if this demand-avoidance is rational, or irrational? How should one define if this demand-avoidance is rational, or irrational?
So I am avoiding reading an email response to a request for me to be able to do something potentially "cool". I am anxious because the "cool" activity is "fun" for me, but not "cool" for others. Person whose consent I need, likely would be in the "not cool" for others group...
... I cannot be sure how the person has reacted in their email, despite the fact my previous interactions with them, have been reasonable...
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(