Mark J. Westpfahl Profile picture
Dec 2, 2021 37 tweets 41 min read Read on X
Thread
I just got to looking at many of the photos my #SSMSpackers students took during @POTUS @JoeBiden's visit to Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount, Minnesota. I'll post a series of them from before and during the event.
One of the things we wanted to focus on as student-journalists was what was going on behind the scenes as well as the main event in Dakota County Community College. This Pro-Trump / Anti-Biden group was not the biggest fans of us asking questions or photographing.#SSPMSpackers
About 40-50 yards to the west of the Pro-Trump / Anti-Biden group, were a group upset with the Biden Administration for not recognizing what was going on in Ethiopia, and the lack of support of the U.S. and UN for not calling the situation a genocide. #SSPMSpackers
Members of the Oromo Community of Minnesota and members of the Tigrayan and Eritrean communities gathered outside of Dakota County Technical College in Rosemount ahead of President Biden's visit in hopes the President would declare a genocide in Ethiopia. #SSPMSpackers
As we made our way back into Dakota County Technical College, our #SSPMSpackers noticed this sign. The people who were sitting here did not want to be photographed with the sign. Several Pro-Trump supporters said they were afraid the pictures would be used against them.
After receiving our official @WhiteHouse credentials, the #SSPMSpackers student-journalists were given a quick tour of the facility and told where they could photograph from and where our work station would be.
We talked to several journalists from @NBCNews, @kare11, @StarTribune, @nytimes the @MNReformer and other media outlets to learn why they were covering the event, what their process was, timelines for their deadlines, etc. #SSPMSpackers
We watched as the traveling press pool made their way through the back of the media area so they could accompany @POTUS on a behind the scenes tour of Dakota County Technical College. I think I spy @bbierschbach in this photo, but I don't see @gspphoto. #SSPMSpackers @nytimes
Our @SSPMSpackers spotted members of the Minnesota Congressional delegation, @RepDeanPhillips and @BettyMcCollum04. We had an opportunity earlier in the afternoon to talk with Congressman Phillips. We also met @MayorCarter & @MayorFrey earlier as well.
The formal event started with @GovTimWalz taking the stage along with @SenAmyKlobuchar, @TinaSmithMN and @RepAngieCraig. They would wave to @RepDeanPhillips and asked why he was not on stage. I informed my #SSPMSpackers it was because he is not the Representative in Dakota County
They also asked why @LtGovFlanagan was not on stage with the @GovTimWalz, but I did not have a concrete answer. Rather, I just had speculation that the logistics team did not want many people on stage - just the 2 Senators, the Governor & #MN02 Rep. #SSPMSPackers
I pointed out that Education @SecCardona was in the crowd and was sitting in the empty seat that would eventually be filled by @GovTimWalz. We asked several local and national journalists if he was speaking anywhere or giving any interviews, and they didn't know. #SSPMSpackers
@SecCardona @GovTimWalz This was an exciting time for our #SSPMSpackers, as they watched the Presidential Seal placed on the podium.
Dakota County Technical College freshman Sarah Riviere-Herzan had the honor of telling a little bit of her story before introducing the President of the United States. #SSPMSPackers @POTUS
How did I get photographed when the @POTUS is on stage? Point your cameras back at him, or at least the crowd! #SSPMSpackers
A couple of these may be a bit blurry, but hey, they are 6th and 7th grade students!! If I was good, I would have brought a couple of tripods or camera stands for them to steady their hands! You can see the journalists hard at work. #SSPMSpackers
Behind the main media risers, was the credentialled press work area. This is where many of the journalists would edit their photos and video before, during and after the speech. You can see the main media riser on left of the second picture. #SSPMSpackers
Here's a better look at the main media riser. The work area would be off to the left and @POTUS was talking to in front of risers on the right side of the photo. #SSPMSpackers
I like exclusive behind the scenes photos, so this is a shot of the very steep stairs leading to the balcony area were we were able to photograph @POTUS. Photographers don't often get photographed themselves. We usually see what they are shooting, not them. #SSPMSpackers
Our #SSPMSpackers enjoyed trying to figure out what the different lapel pins meant. We were able to identify Secret Service Agents, Secret Service Advance Teams, Communication folks, etc.
The President's remarks were about 25 minutes long. #SSPMSpackers @POTUS
The President of the United States worked the rpe line after his speech, starting with the Minnesota Congressional delegation and other Minnesota dignitaries. #POTUS even took selfies with attendees. #SSPMSpackers
We watched and discussed the role of the Secret Service agents who are trained to protect @POTUS. Our #SSPMSpackers were surprised at first about how many there were, but when they reflected, they understood why.
Our @SSPPS6 #SSPMSpackers didn't take any close ups of @POTUS @JoeBiden as he was talking to them, because they were attentively listening. I'm hoping the @WhiteHouse's @schultzinit has a few pictures of our students. If anyone else has some, let me know!
That concludes the thread of images from our @SSPPS6 #SSPMSpackers @WhiteHouse credentialled student-journalists. I couldn't be more proud of how Kalia, Amari & Eleanor conducted themselves, represented their families, our school, our community & journalists who couldn't be there
For those who wanted to see @POTUS speech at @DCTC, you can read the entire thing here. whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/…
If you are interested in seeing Amari asking the President of the United States a question at the end of the event, you can see @POTUS responding to him, Kalia and Eleanor here. Clip via @cspan. @SSPPS6 @leahbourg @SSP_Super #SSPMSpackers @CSPANClassroom
c-span.org/video/?c498887…
It is always important to see the event through their eyes, especially when they are the ones that were credentialed to cover @POTUS (or ANY other event we are credentialled to cover.) #SSPMSpackers
One of the things I said to my #MNstudies classes today as we viewed their work and tried to gain an understanding of what they experienced, is to always question what we don't see in the photos. #SSPMSpackers
For example, what is just off to the left and the right of the photos that we don't see? Why? What's happening behind the photographer? What images did they not get? Who's voices did we not capture in images? Why? #SSPMSpackers
How does that reflect on the news & historic images/perspectives that we have in textbooks, newspapers, historical societies & museums? Who are we choosing to preserve in the annals of history and why, and who is being left out... intentionally and unintentionally? #SSPMSpackers
Could you please unroll this @threadreaderapp? It would be great to preserve this work in the annals of history as well! Our @SSPPS6 #SSPMSpackers did some incredible work yesterday with the President of the United States! @POTUS
* Not sure if this is happening for you all, but when I start from the top of the main thread, this is as far as the thread goes. If I start from the bottom, I can go back & see every tweet in the thread. So, if it stops here for you, check out threadreaderapp.com/thread/1466243…
** I see! After The 8th tweet in the original thread, I replied twice. Take a look at both of my replies. One of them will complete the final 20+ tweets in the thread. Here's the link

The "unrolled" version also has all of them. threadreaderapp.com/thread/1466243…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mark J. Westpfahl

Mark J. Westpfahl Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @MarkJWestpfahl

Feb 8, 2023
With HF274 & SF386 making their way through the #mnleg, @MarielleMohs stopped by my #SSPMS classroom to hear our thoughts on a potential MInnesota state flag redesign. #MNstudies #Vexillology
🧵of some of our redesign concepts.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news…
@MarielleMohs The light blue represents the land of 10,000 lakes.
The blue outline M represents the Mississippi River.
The white M represents the state name (obviously), the serenity & purity of our snow covered landscape. The north star is a nod to one of our many state nicknames.
This flag was also designed to be a square flag. MInnesota's original flag was square and featured a white obverse and a blue reverse. No other state has a square flag, so it would be something that would stand out. Or perhaps you prefer a vertical flag?

Read 36 tweets
Dec 26, 2022
Thread 🧵
As the temperature near Fort Snelling and Mankato continues to chill well below freezing, please take a moment and reflect on the events that took place 160 years ago today in Minnesota.
Thirty-eight Dakota men are hanged by the federal government in Mankato, Minnesota, resulting in the the largest mass execution in American history.
President Abraham Lincoln and a small team of government officials reviewed the more than 300 original orders for execution and narrowed it to 39. One Dakota man was pardoned on the morning of the December 26, 1862.
Read 34 tweets
Dec 24, 2022
New presents for me!!! My @WhiteHouseHstry Christmas ornament collection is expanding. Image
2017 @WhiteHouseHstry White House Christmas Ornament ImageImage
1993 @WhiteHouseHstry White House Christmas Ornament. Image
Read 5 tweets
Aug 22, 2022
Minnesota Education thread 🧵
Breaking down Jensen's latest education video. Bare with me, it's another long thread that actually uses evidence and linked documents to ask @drscottjensen for clarity on what he is trying to push... which right now is fear & misinformation.
I'm struggling to understand if @drscottjensen actually understands the Education profession & honestly wants to work w/educators to improve it or if he believes his only chance of winning is to fan the flames of fear & spread falsehoods.
It's hard to understand from his tweet video what his actual concerns are with the PELSB (Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board) meeting that is set for August 24... besides throwing out terms like "critical race theory", "woke" & "radical" (all red meat)
Read 20 tweets
Jun 29, 2022
For whatever reason, I absolutely love photographing different angles of the First National Bank Building in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I think maybe I should start a long thread of the different shots I've taken. I'll start with these for unconventional shots.
1st National Bank 🧵 ImageImageImageImage
First National Bank building in downtown Saint Paul, MN. Image
First National Bank building in downtown Saint Paul, Minnesota. Image
Read 64 tweets
Jun 14, 2022
Thread 🧵 (no pun intended)
"Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation."
~ Second Continental Congress, June 14, 1777.
#FlagDay Image
Pictured is the first known photograph of the Star-Spangled Banner, which inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem "The Defence of Fort McHenry", photographed in 1873 at the Boston Navy Yard.
#FlagDay Image
Maj. George Armistead commissioned Mary Young Pickersgill, a professional flag maker from Baltimore, Maryland, to make a garrison flag measuring 30 by 42 feet with 15 stars and 15 stripes in 1813. She would make a smaller 17 by 25 foot flag as well.
#FlagDay ImageImage
Read 50 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(