Delaney King Profile picture
Dec 17, 2021 32 tweets 9 min read Read on X
The art of #gameart asset making is selling an illusion of something to a player using as little resources as possible.

The important part here is selling an illusion. We don't make trees... we arrange some polys and pixels and code into something that conjures a tree mentally
As game artists we aren't making real things, we are just communicating gameplay elements to players.

This is a bush.
This, is also a bush.
The 'bush' from mario takes up a single small grid of index colour references... which means it doubled as the cloud.
One leaf alone of the texture on the other probably takes up 10x the data just for the colour channel- and that doesn't count polys, vertex colors, spec, normal, noise map, shader etc etc

Both tell the player... hey, look... a bush.
So here is a real bush...
Actually, it isn't.

It's a photo of bush compressed down into coloured pixels.

You idiot.
It wasn't a real bush. It was the illusion of a bush made up of data.

But you believed me because a digital photo fools our brains into saying... that's a bush.
You bought the illusion, you received the information I was throwing at you.

Your brain also did a bajillion other things looking at that data. It was looking for boundaries, reflected environment, lighting conditions, assessing weather, time of day, threat level and so on.
This, your brain concludes, is a bush. It looks pretty impassable, it probably doesn't contain food.
There is a wall behind it made from wooden planks that was painted red, but has faded.... yadda yadda...

Your brain is BUSY AF
So we not only have to sell "bush" to the player, we can load more information into that.

This is safe. This is impassable. This is cover. This will not stop bullets. This area is unsafe. This will not hurt me. This place is well tended.

Information. See?
Designing assets isn't about making the most detailed reproduction of a real thing, it's not simulation.... it is STIMULATION and COMMUNICATION.
It is about injecting the ideas we want into some players brain. Past doing that, everything else is wasted.

Time, data, disc size, processing power.
Here, gameplay is communicated at a glance. It is all plants. Foreground, distant, background, safe, dangerous.

Nup. It's just a bunch of pixels.
This bunch of pixels says "teeth, thorns, saws, jaws, fly traps, barbed wire, that time you nicked yourself on a saw blade."

A few pixels and polys is doing that to your brain.

It is pixel sorcery.
These are not vines. There is no distance. It is just pixels of colour.

But we see vines, we see distance, we see foreground, background, we feel light passing through the material.

Imagine biting into one. Go on. What sound and taste does your mind throw at you?
What does this taste like?

Pixels. It tastes of pixels.

Which, as we know, taste of computer monitor screen laminate.
This is what game artists actually do.
And we do it with these tools.
Boop
This is not a pipe
This is not Senua.

This is data skillfully being used to make links in your brain.
Your art is selling that illusion, tricking players into seeing things that aren't real.

What is the MINIMUM of this...
To do this...
The point is, learn to use your resources to get to that illusion sale as efficiently as possible.

This is not an elf.
This is actually just some triangles, a shader and some grids of data.
This isn't casting a shadow.
This invisible low poly head is casting the shadow.

A shadow which isn't actually a shadow but a rendered texture with a depth value drawn from a lights point of view.

Cheap illusions to make cheap illusions.
I am not Delaney King. I am pixels.

Thanks for listening.
These free lectures are free.

But you can always stimulate a computer to transfer data from one account to another that represents value to me in the form of a tip here.

Everything is fake until it's money.

ko-fi.com/dellak
Images referenced from

ORI and the Blind Forest
SENUA'S SAGA
Super mario bros.
Turbosquid (bush)

My own elf demo from #NZGDC
Be gay pixels. Do pixel crimes.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Delaney King

Delaney King Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @delaneykingrox

Nov 6, 2023
A video game that simulates #ADHD. The mission objective changes at random every few minutes and whenever you walk into a new room, your inventory shuffles one item and sometimes it becomes invisible for a few minutes.

You auto steer into table corners.
Whenever you get more than one sidequest there is a chance you go into overwhelm and your controller will pretend it is unplugged.

The corners of the level starts filling up with laundry.

You put down an item and it vanishes when you look away.
You have timed missions but during loading screens that can dramatically shorten by an hour or five.
Read 19 tweets
Oct 28, 2023
A 3d character walks into a bar.

The bartender doesn't say anything.

You realise you haven't put collision or a trigger volume on the bar asset.

The bar jitters and flies off into the distance.

You need to turn off "use phsyics" on the bar asset.

The bartender says "why the long face".

You sigh and open your 3d modelling ap. Long thin triangles are bad for quad draw performance.
Read 19 tweets
Oct 18, 2023
In Life Is Strange Before The Storm, one truth Rachel Amber tells Chloe during "two truths and a lie" that she is a Leo.
The brilliant thing is later if you pay attention, her birthday is the day after Leo ends. But her starchart has her on a cusp.

This is brilliant.
The series has a few moments of absolutely brilliant subtle clues in it that add layers of meaning, but you have to be sharp to spot them.
But if you miss those, there are still blatant clues around the place that give some level of depth.
The main mysteries of the game aren't hard at all, probably to a fault, but on replay there are far more little ones.
Read 21 tweets
Oct 13, 2023
A technique I highly recommend to #gamedev artists is to look at actual shipped game assets.

There are various ways to get hold of them, such as programs like Ninja Ripper, Utiny ripper or via archives.

And I must stress this is for learning purposes ONLY. NEVER use them.
Being able to look at models from a wide range of titles, see how they are rigged, how their Uvs are layed out, the triangle count and modularity... it all helps you understand the ACTUAL end result you are aiming for.
I think it is really important that students bridge the gap between where they are at, and what the end products are at.

You may think "oh, the models in X game are super high end, high tech stuff" but when you actually crack it open and examine it in your DCC...
Read 11 tweets
Oct 10, 2023
There is no ethical use of AI art.

There is no future for humanity in a world where all human endeavour is stolen and boiled down to something that replaces humans.

What do humans do in a world where humans are not employed to create?

Is that a world you want to live in?
If you take away the creative process of human artists into pool, the zeitgeist becomes entirely manufactured from an ever decreasing pool of looping cannibalism.

Pop literally eating itself.
Endless product without exploration. Product feeding on product.

No art movements, no re-evaluations of our place and relationship to the world.

Homogenisation and starvation.
Read 12 tweets
Oct 9, 2023
Draw calls are responsible for a good 50 percent of the chugging issues I have helped games with.

A draw call is "okay now draw me an apple, and come back when you are done for the next instruction."
Then you ask for another apple. Then when they return you ask for another...
So the GPU is running back and forth to the CPU when it could just do that once and "draw me a pile of apples".
Rendering an apple, in this example, takes a tiny amount of what a core on the GPU can render. So by welding all the apples into one bigger mesh, it can be done faster in one draw call than all the fucking around to draw them one by one.
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(