Lunar Archivist Profile picture
Dec 20, 2021 6 tweets 5 min read Read on X
For the last time, you idiots: the issue here isn't the fact that manga and anime have political themes or that they espouse a particular political view, it's that manga and anime don't hamfistedly or clumsily insert them into stories to the detriment of entertainment value. 1/4
"GATE - Thus the JSDF Fought There!" is a nationalistic series where Japanese Special Forces can effortlessly take out Russian AND U.S. ones with zero deaths and makes a lot of political and social criticism (such as how manipulative politicians and journalists are). 2/4
Despite all this, the series never loses sight of the fact that it's centered around how modern military forces would fare against medieval armies and fantasy monsters such as dragons. The political/social commentary complements the story, it's not the sole reason it exists. 3/4
And the Japanese can be RUTHLESS when it comes to their commentary: A zombified version of Korean actor Bae Yong-joon had his brains blown out in "High School of the Dead". Western comic book creators think doing similar stuff with Trump every chance they get is "original". 4/4
To show exactly what I mean about "GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There!" being political/ideological, here's a scene where the creator soapboxes about the inherent dishonesty of journalists. Anyone who's been through #GamerGate, #ComicsGate or #Russiagate knows how accurate this is.
Since my critics missed it: My referring to "GATE" as (eye-rollingly) nationalistic and accusing the creator of soapboxing aren't compliments. 😋

Also, I want an exact chapter/episode and quote for the war crimes denial @KakuseiMyo @HodeiEH1999, @Days2Sonny, and @matana_l.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LunarArchivist

Apr 28
To put things into perspective regarding the whole #StellarBlade debacle, as someone who's worked in the industry for about 17 years, I think it's time to explain the process of submission, certification, and the so-called release candidate (or RC) for a game. 1/6
When a developer wants to release a game on a console, they have to submit the game to Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony to make sure that the game adheres to their minimum quality standards and respects their copyrights, trademarks, and terminology. This is called submission. 2/6
Submission's preceded by a certification pass, where testers working for or hired by a publisher go through the entire game with a fine-toothed comb to minimize the chances it will fail submission: a rehearsal before Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony's testers take a crack at it. 3/6
Read 7 tweets
Mar 10
Credit where credit is due. You took your time to answer this in reasonably good faith, so props for that. That being said, given the examples you've cited, I think we're talking about apples and oranges for part of this and reject your interpretation of Kim Belair's speech. 1/6
First, the apples and oranges part: I have no problems with accessibility settings designed to make games more access to the disabled. As someone who worked on "Far Cry 5", Ubisoft should be commended for having extra settings for vision/hearing impaired gamers. Thumbs up. 👍 2/6 Image
Another title I worked on, "Gotham Knights", also had colorblind and text-to-speech options. So, again, that's a great thing to see. As someone who's extensively tested VR games, I'm well aware of problems even "normal" gamers have with playing certain games. For example... 3/6 Image
Read 6 tweets
Jan 2
In an effort to settle this whole "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid" thing once and for all and show why the Funimation's English dub script sucks, let's have a closer look at the offending line as it appears in Chapter 12 of the manga and Episode 12 of the anime in context. 1/5
Notice the following things:
1. Lucoa has made a conscious decision to dress more modestly.
2. The anime specifically states that the reason for this decision was because "everyone was always saying something" but doesn't specify the nature of the comments (i.e. good or bad).
2/5
3. Lucoa's good-natured smile suggests that she is neither angered nor annoyed by this. In fact, based on previous incidents (like the beach episode, where she was dragged away for public indecency) and her "Huh?" response to Tohru, she seems more confused than anything else.
3/5

Read 6 tweets
Mar 25, 2023
Since it seems like today's become "Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears" Day on my timeline, what better way to celebrate than to post the introductions from as many languages as I have available in my library? Let's start with the English version. 🙂
"Gumisie" ("Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears" - Polish Version)
"Gumídci" ("Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears" - Czech Version)
Read 8 tweets
Mar 25, 2023
Remember the good old days of Disney cartoons when anthropomorphic bears could be casually sexist and princesses could be tomboys while also being competent, feminine, and not insufferable Mary Sues? 😅
Now this I wasn't expecting! Japanese animator and animation director Takashi Watanabe had the following to say. 😮
It seems like we have several major Japanese animation industry veterans commenting in that thread, many of whom when historically uncredited for that work. 😮
Read 5 tweets
Feb 19, 2023
By all means, please demonstrate in the most ironic and completely-lacking-in-self-awareness way possible why I've run out of patience when it comes to dealing with woke morons like you. 🙄 ImageImage
"'Trans people don't deserve respect unless they act the way I think they should.' Fuck that."
Here's something that applies to everyone, regardless of gender, race, sex etc.: You want to be treated like a human? THEN ACT LIKE A HUMAN, NOT LIKE A CRAP-FLINGING HOWLER MONKEY. 🤬 ImageImageImageImage
Oh, this is a LOL, all right. Just not for the reason you think it is. 🙄 ImageImage
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(