David Jacobs Profile picture
Jan 5, 2022 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
It's 5:45 in the morning and I'm coming up to the final few hours of my afternoon/evening/overnight shift. Things have changed since last week, and here's where we're at.

/1

#Omicron #COVID19 @HRHospital
The first observation is that the ER team at my hospital are absolute heroes, and I don't say that lightly. They are taking the brunt of the Omicron wave both in terms of patient volume and exposure to the virus. They do all of this with calm professionalism.

/2
This takes me directly to the real crisis that's been brewing this wave. Due to the highly contagious nature of Omicron, we're slowly losing frontline staff. The stress for those remaining is not from fear of catching the virus, but fear of being stretched too thin.

/3
So what is coming through the ER? COVID. Lots and lots of COVID, and it's all Omicron.

Like last week, most of the patients are symptomatic, but not seriously ill. They have typical flu like symptoms.

Some however are extremely sick.

/4
What do Omicron patients look like on imaging?

The vast majority of the chest X-rays coming through on these patients are normal. A small number show very mild pneumonias which are less severe than in previous waved.

A very small number are downright horrible.

/5
The normal X-rays and the near normal ones belong to younger patients and vaccinated patients of all ages. There are vanishingly few pediatric cases with pneumonias.

The horrible pneumonias are seen in the unvaccinated, the immunosuppressed, and some elderly patients.

/6
What's changed in a week is volume. The number of patients coming through ER remains ridiculous, but few need imaging and fewer need admission.

The number of mild pneumonias has roughly doubled. The number of severe pneumonias is also up slightly.

/7
Based on volume alone, this has increased our inpatient numbers with COVID, but it's not as simple as that.

The numbers can be broken down further to give us some interesting insights into Omicron.

/8
Our 744 bed hospital now has 80 COVID positive patients, 9 of which are in the ICU.

60% of the ward patients are in because of COVID, while 40% are in hospital for other reasons.

78% of ICU patients are admitted for COVID. 22% in ICU are admitted for other reasons.

/9
The age distribution is also telling. Omicron is unkind to our older population.

29% of inpatients with COVID are 60-79yrs old.

41% of inpatients with COVID are 80yrs old, or older.

/10
How can you use this information?

1. Get vaccinated and boosted. Omicron is a disease of the unvaccinated.

2. If you are unvaccinated, elderly, or immunosuppressed, be cautious. Wear a high quality mask, and avoid crowds.

3. EVERYONE is catching Omicron, so don't be cocky

/10
What does this mean for the next few weeks?

The walking wounded make up the majority of Omicron patients. Few end up in hospital. Hospitals are unlikely to be overwhelmed by patients.

The staffing shortages are however going to cause capacity problems in the short term.

/11
Final point? It will be impossible to predict what will peak first, staffing shortages, or the Omicron wave. So if you have mild flu like symptoms, assume you have Omicron, and STAY OUT OF THE EMERGENCY ROOM.

Let's minimize their exposure and keep ahead of the wave.

/12

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with David Jacobs

David Jacobs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DrJacobsRad

Mar 10
This is Ottawa, Canada's capital.

The crowd chants 'long live the Intifada', and then 'resistance is justified'.

Let's explore what Intifada means for Jews in the context of the conflict in the Middle East.

/1
The First Intifada began in 1987 and ended in 1993. Palestinian militants killed 100 Israeli civilians, 60 soldiers, and executed 800 Palestinians accused of collaboration.

3,100 Israelis were injured.

/2 Image
The Second Intifada ran from 2000 to mid-2005 resulted in 1,000 Israelis killed and thousands wounded. It was marked by waves of suicide attacks often targeting civilians on buses.

Other tactics included shooting, stabbing, mortar and rocket fire, kidnapping, and lynching.

/3 Image
Read 5 tweets
Nov 29, 2023
This has been making the rounds. It's a guide on how to disrupt the healthcare system.

Disrupting patient care isn't protest, it's illegal, and it's immoral.

/1

#HamasTerrorists Image
It features charming suggestions such as 'bird-dogging', which is essentially harassment.

/2

#HamasTerrorists Image
There's the ever popular walkout, a great way to deny patients life saving care and ratchet up pressure by leveraging their health for your cause.

/3

#HamasTerrorists Image
Read 4 tweets
Oct 25, 2023
These are among the most tragic images the public has been shown of the Hamas atrocities of October 7th.

The images are difficult to understand. Let me respectfully walk you through them.

#HamasTerrorists Image
This is a 3D rendering of a CT scan of two people in an embrace.

Highlighted on the left is a cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.

/2
This is a 3D rendering of a spine with a scoliosis for reference.

/3 Image
Read 10 tweets
Sep 25, 2022
I'm just waking up from call. I'm exhausted and a little crusty.

Here is my rant...

For the last 2 years I have witnessed some of the most abhorrent behavior from both doctors and the public.

Medicine is not a competitive sport with teams. There are no points to be scored.
/1
On one side we have anti vaccine and anti public health hooliganism who outright reject science.

They are under the misconception that their beliefs hold the same weight as facts.

Their refusal to get vaccinated during the Delta wave cost lives.

/2
On the other side there is a cabal of sanctimonious hobbyists and some physicians who never stepped foot in a hospital during the pandemic.

They often speak with much authority about that which they know little.

Even worse, they mock and villainize those they disagree with.

/3
Read 6 tweets
Sep 23, 2022
These outdated guidelines cost the lives of almost 300 young women a year in Canada.

Instead of inviting experts to ask question of @ChooseWiselyCA, the organization needs to do a proper review of current studies and listen to what the experts are telling them.

/1

#MedTwitter
The Pan-Canadian study demonstrated a 40% reduction in mortality with screening mammography for women in their 40s.

/2

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25274578/
The Recent study by Wilkinson and Seely compare jurisdictions in Canada that do screen women 40-49 against those that do not and showed a higher percentage of advanced breast cancers in the non screeners.

/3

mdpi.com/1718-7729/29/8…
Read 4 tweets
Mar 27, 2022
I'm wrapping up my afternoon/evening/overnight shift.

I know I promised that I wouldn't be giving anymore updates, but the hysteria on social media over dropping the mask mandate warrants a reality check.

/1

#COVID19 @HRHospital
Over an 8 hour sample period 28 chest X-rays were taken in ER.

26 had no signs of COVID pneumonia.

1 had mild COVID pneumonia (although I did get some pushback on the diagnosis from the ER doc).

1 had a mild pneumonia that could be COVID.

Hardly a cresting wave of COVID.

/2
In the lead up to dropping the mask mandate and the first week since it ended, Ontarians have been treated to a level of moral panic not seen since the early days of the pandemic.

/3

cbc.ca/radio/asithapp…
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(