Finbarr Bermingham Profile picture
Jan 28, 2022 7 tweets 4 min read Read on X
German far right MEP @KrahMax gave an interview to Chinese state news portal Guancha.cn, a few excerpts below, run through translate.

The broad takeaway, "the more liberal a party is in the sense of “woke”, the more it is anti-China."

m.guancha.cn/MaximilianKrah…
On "woke" politics and the deterioration in Western-Chinese relations...
On the CAI and complaints over perceived US hijacking of the investment deal

"When the United States competes with China and Russia, it needs Europe to be its sidekick, so the Americans have mobilized their own network of relationships."
On strategic autonomy...

"They talk about strategic autonomy only when a non-white*-left president, Donald Trump, is in the White House"

This term white-left keeps popping up on translate, referring to "woke left liberals" it seems
On Tibet

"I have seen in Lhasa and other parts of Tibet that the Chinese government invests heavily in improving people's lives and preserving local traditional culture."
On whether Chinese and Western cultures need to "reconcile".

"I know that you are studying the theory of the great German jurist Karl Schmidt. In my opinion, studying his point of view will lead you to the correct conclusion"
The Chinese mission to the EU shared this interview on their weekly newsletter.

Would have to feel a little worried for whoever spelled Xi Jinping's name wrong in the same edition

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Finbarr Bermingham

Finbarr Bermingham Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @fbermingham

May 17
NEW: China and EU hurtling towards trade war, business chief fears

Caught up with EU Chamber in China chief Jens Eskelund in Brussels yesterday

scmp.com/news/china/art…
The chamber expects EU duties on Chinese EVs this summer, and China to respond

“Based on historical precedence, I fear there will be retaliation."

Asked if he was confident a trade war could be averted: “I really wish I could give you an emphatic yes. And I don’t think I can."
Eskelund on the brave new world in Brussels: “What is new is that we have a commission that clearly is not in the mood to back down without getting something in return. And China needs also to adapt to a situation where Europe has a willingness to follow through.”
Read 10 tweets
May 6
As Xi Jinping heads to France, China seeks chance to sway one of EU’s most powerful members

Reupping this longread from the weekend

scmp.com/news/china/dip…
Macron's China policy can often seem contradictory and confusing - few have embodied that enigmatic triptych of “partner, competitor, rival” more than he.

“He is neither pro-China nor anti-American. Macron is pro-European,” said MEP ally @MariePierreV
An Indian diplomat described him as the “ultimate hedger” on China.

“We Indians think we hedge well, but the French are the masters."

Macron can seem inconsistent. Critics pan him for being soft on Beijing, while Chinese officials rail against EU actions he strongly backs
Read 19 tweets
Apr 26
Feels like a pretty seismic week in EU-China relations. I get the feeling that we're not in Kansas anymore

Here is a summary of the major events that have happened, let me know if I missed any, bearing in mind it's still only lunchtime on Friday... Image
Monday:

German federal prosecutors announced that three German nationals had been arrested on “strong suspicion” of spying for Chinese intelligence services.

(UK also charged two men under the Official Secrets Act over allegedly spying for China)

scmp.com/news/china/dip…
Commission opened formal proceedings against TikTok under the Digital Services Act (DSA), assessing whether TikTok Lite's launch would "expose our children to risks of addiction, anxiety, depression, eating disorders, low attention spans"

ec.europa.eu/commission/pre…
Read 19 tweets
Apr 24
A fiery session of the WTO's Committee on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures (SCM) on Tues that demonstrates the divisions between China and the West

The EU, US and China clashed on a number of important topics, ranging from overcapacity to Brussels' EV probe.

A thread 🧵
Per Geneva trade source, there were "sharp exchanges" between the US and China over the topic of industrial overcapacity.

China was challenged for insisting the term "overcapacity" get taken of the agenda for a discussion on "Subsidies and Capacity"
China threatened to kibosh adoption of agenda if the term wasn't removed, per US.

US: China's objection was "unfounded, inappropriate, not based on fundamental facts".

US: subsides cause overcapacity in China, it was "absurd" to think changing agenda wording would alter fact
Read 11 tweets
Apr 23
🚨 More huge news in Germany

An assistant to the far right's lead candidate in the European elections is arrested, suspected of spying for China.

zeit.de/politik/deutsc…
Zeit Online:

"investigators accuse Jian G. of having spied on the Chinese exile opposition in Germany. He is said to have worked in various positions in opposition groups and collected information about Chinese dissidents. He reported this to China"
"Jian offered himself as an informant to the German security authorities more than ten years ago. However, suspicions quickly arose that he was doing this in the interests of Chinese state. It was noticeable that on one hand he appeared an ardent supporter of President Xi"
Read 18 tweets
Feb 17
Wang Yi about to speak at Munich Security Conference now, in conversation with @MSCheusgen.

Then Blinken, Baerbock, Jaishankar share a panel immediately after.

🧵I will post some of the main points in a thread here...
@MSCheusgen Wang says in 2023, the "global economy was weighed down by protectionism and the abuse of the security concept and the international system was impaired by unilateralism and bloc politics"
@MSCheusgen The major message he came to deliver:

"No matter how the world changes, China is a responsible major country will keep its major principles and policies consistent and stable, serve as a staunch force for stability. In a turbulent world China will be a force for stability"
Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(