Jonathan Kay Profile picture
Feb 7, 2022 21 tweets 7 min read Read on X
So the story here is that last night, there was a mass murder plot in an Ottawa apt building, with one of the would-be killers telling a passer-by (for no apparent reason) he was a protestor. But no one calls 911, & Ottawa arson's unit finds out about it on twitter a day later. Image
Also, am I missing the big stories that should have already appeared on the big media sites such as CBC Ottawa and Ottawa Citizen? Right now, I was expecting "Arson Plot Foiled" as the main story. Instead, it's a story about parking tickets being issues.... Image
It's been four hours since this thread went up. I know it's sunday, but is there a reason the Ottawa Citizen site doesn't have a banner headline about the hundreds of lives that were saved from immolation by the bravery of anti-protest activists living in an apt building? Image
and is there a reason why this big-rig trucker seems to be a college-age teenager or young adult with purple hair ? Image
um, also, anyone else find if odd that the person who wrote this is oddly ambivalent about finding the ppl who, yknow, tried to murder everyone, yet is *extremely* interested in making sure the narrative is used to advance the political goal of expelling protesters from the city? Image
And why exactly would anyone "hesitate" to raise the alarm about a crime that, had it played out, would have been the greatest act of mass murder Ottawa had ever witnessed? Image
also, does anyone else find it unusual that someone engaged in a mass murder plot would use *tape* on a door ... while *they* were still inside.... and then we learn later in the thread that the killers just waltzed out some other door, which, like, apparently, anyone could use? ImageImage
It's a good thing I know this is a good faith report of an arson attack, or I'd have abundant reason to think that this was an incredibly clumsy false accusation made by a trio of amateurs looking to use this stunt to make a political statement. Good thing that's def not the case
really looking forward to an update from the police. I just scrolled through the last two days of police twitter. Many tweets about road closures, but none about mass-murder arson plots. Maybe it's not high priority
my fav detail about this real thing that totally happened: tenant asks arsonist—mid-arson—who he is. arsoner stops his arsoning & says "I'm a convoy protestor guy/arsoner" Then he continues arsoning, while tenant goes to bed in his soon-to-be-immolated building & doesn't call 911 Image
That's totally how I would react if someone were burning down my house. I'd be like "Hey who are you?" Then he'd recite his political grievances and continue engaging in arson while I watched netflix and then hit the sack, resolved to write a twitter thread about it the next morn
Aaaaannnnywaayyyy, important thing is that Canadian journalists & politicians are definitely *not* credulously tweeting out this allegation of a mass murder plot without first ensuring that it was fact-checked by, like, anyone... bcuz that'd be crazy, rite? i mean who does that
UPDATE: It has now been 19 hours since the totally real Ottawa arson plot that really happened. And yet, amazingly, nothing on the CBC Ottawa web site. But maybe that's because attempted mass murder with fire can't compete for headline space with these other blockbuster stories Image
oh yeah this is totally how you investigate a totally real arson plot aimed at murdering everyone in an apartment building: ascertain whether the manager is a "cool dude," then proceed accordingly Image
Well, we are in luck, folks: facts! reporter @glen_mcgregor was actually there when the superintendent called the police at 230pm (this would be 8-9 hours after the supposed arson murder plotters were caught red handed). Image
Caveat: Image
Gee what a shocker Image
"These people have no end to their evil" Image
Ottawa Deputy Police Chief on the alleged arson in Ottawa: “We don’t have any direct linkage between the occupation—the demonstrators—and that act.”
cpac.ca/episode?id=fa5…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jonathan Kay

Jonathan Kay Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jonkay

Oct 6
I do a weekly shift at a Toronto food bank, where we serve almost 400 people per week, at least a third of whom are recently arrived Muslim immigrants (we’re near thorncliffe park). You know how many keffiyehs/palestinian-themed symbols I see every week? Zero. None. Nada. While many of these clients no doubt have geopolitical views very different from my own, they have the good sense & manners not to alienate those around them. (The food bank in question is a church, and many of the volunteers are Jewish. We would never deny anyone entry based on whether they were wearing a keffiyeh, needless to say.) This aggressive anti-Israeli (and sometimes antisemitic) radicalism u see in these “all out for [demonizing Israel|” hate jamborees should *not* be taken as an excuse to vilify the Canadian Muslim community as a whole. By my observation over the past two years at the food bank, the majority of Canadian muslims are focused on the same basic (Canadian) challenges we all face. The performative cadres u see in these videos are very much (though admittedly not exclusively) an extension of upper middle class campus protest culture, fueled by institutionally ensconced (non Muslim) hatebags such as Fred Hahn. This is something I’d ask my followers to remember before they give vent to Islamophobia in their comments.
By the way, I got to know some of these residents of Thorncliffe Park pretty well when I took the city of Toronto taxi course for a blubbertusk cover story I did on the growth of Uber and the demise of taxis. The vast majority of the people in the class were Muslims, and I used to give some of them a lift back to their apartment complexes along Overlea blvd (near what was then my favourite Wendy’s). we talked about all sorts of things, but I really never heard them bring up the Middle East or anything like that. They are mostly just pissed off that it’s so hard to get their professional accreditations back home recognized in Canada.
Generally, speaking, the most radicalized members of our society are now those who spend 16 hours a day in front of their computer, getting themselves riled up over YouTube videos, and other forms of cult-silo political propaganda. This includes both social justice maniacs who insist that Israel is a Nazi genocide colonizer destroying watermelon turtle Island; but also monomaniacal Zionists; who seem to believe that every Muslim they meet has been programmed by seventh century Bedouins to kill everybody at the next wadi. Get out of your house. Go play disc golf. Volunteer somewhere. See how real people live.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 24
Appreciate @Noahpinion sharing my @Quillette piece far & wide. But a few refinements in regard to this tweet.
1) even indigenous groups didn’t claim there was a “mass grave.” That was an invention of @ianrausten of the @nytimes (which, inexplicably, still hasn’t run a correction on his hideously botched 2021 articles) ….
2) the far more common claim (which caused the 2021 social panic in Canada) was that 215 *individual* “unmarked graves” had been found. This was also completely untrue. What was found were GPR anomalies, which, even 3 years later, have yielded zero graves. Some sites have been dug up & there was nothing there (to the enormous disappointment of the justly mortified Canadian media corps)…
3) none of this changes the fact that thousands of children did die at residential schools, and the system was indefensible. A stain on our history. it should also be pointed out that scattered graves without surviving markings may one day be found. Hasn’t happened since the 2021 social panic, but I suppose it’s possible.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 13, 2023
A group called Mohawk Mothers has been seeking to delay/block McGill U’s “New Vic” project in Montreal—based on claims of secret burials & unmarked Indigenous graves on the site. Today, @mcgillu’s provost reported that no graves were found, including in areas identified by GPR... Image
(no word yet on whether McGill's leadership team will be indicted on charges of "denialism")

cbc.ca/news/canada/sa…
By the way, can anybody find a news source where this has been public reported? If any remains had been found (here or anywhere), it would be leading every news broadcast. It'd be odd if the opposite news were confined to an internal McGill email
Read 4 tweets
Jul 20, 2023
I spoke to Richard a few times. He was publicly denounced by an equity consultant hired by TDSB to tell white ppl how racist they are. Richard questioned her absurd claims, & the woman used him as a case study in evil "whiteness"
This is what's become of TDSB under @TDSBDirector
There's a recording of this equity consultant hysterically attacking Richard for his supposed racistness. In the fullness of time, it should all be made public. This tragic episode gives us a window into the sadistic mindset of the fanatics who've taken over our school boards
last year, Richard brought me in as a guest speaker for a Toronto group concerned about the state of education. I learned Richard wasn't a conservative. He was a progressive who'd seen the harm that social justice fanaticism causes to society. He tried to be part of the solution
Read 8 tweets
Apr 29, 2023
What a pity that this ridiculous CBC hit job on @AbigailShrier can't get the massive ratio it deserves

cbc.ca/news/canada/no…
Like clockwork Image
Lol it required not one but two CBC reporters to write this

Read 5 tweets
Apr 29, 2023
a lot of parents are now telling me that their teenagers' social media feeds, especially TikTok, have started to shift 180 degrees on genderwang. the once-revered (bio-male) trans "influencers" & athletes are becoming figures of ridicule. pendulum seems to be swinging back hard
Teenagers aren't dumb, but they do move in herds. The genderwang stuff was fun when it felt vaguely transgressive and daring. Now that they hear their dinosaur teachers and parents mumbling pronoun checks (not to mention the Bud Light & Hershey's fiascos), it's time to move on
I'm trying to guess what the next fad will be. Maybe putting shoe polish on your face & calling yourself transracial. I know that sounds insane, but it's actually less idiotic (& will do less medical damage) to depressed goths than sterilizing themselves in the name of genderwang
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(