Timothy Grose Profile picture
Feb 7, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Today's #Olympics2022 hero spotlight is placed on #Uyghur scholar Adil Ghappar [Kariz] whose condition and well-being have been unknown since 2017.
I met Adil in 2014 having been introduced to him by Rahile Dawut. I was under his wing at Xinjiang Normal University as I taught a short-term course in his department.
Adil remained extremely witty and optimistic despite tighter restrictions on his research. He already published a monumental contribution to understandings of the richness of Uyghur religious rituals and expressions
We maintained email contact during the year & met in Urumchi during the summers to discuss research and life. He was working on a way to conduct research on Uyghur networks (mehelle, mosque community, bazaar, & mazar) without drifting into "sensitive" topics
@EricTSchluessel my colleague, friend, and mutual friend of Adil, reported his strange and sudden disappearance from academia in summer 2017. On June 28, I wrote him, but, for the first time, did not receive a reply.
Even though the CCP has tried to silence our friend Adil, we can make surethe repetition of his name reverberates throughout these games and until his well-being is known.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Timothy Grose

Timothy Grose Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GroseTimothy

Mar 8, 2023
On International Women's Day these reads about the Xinjiang crisis are especially relevant: thechinaproject.com/2019/05/14/sav…
Read 7 tweets
Dec 10, 2022
In celebration of the anniversay of His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Nobel Prize, here are some of the songs about him that I've translated (be sure CC is on for English subtitles):
Read 9 tweets
Aug 21, 2022
From the China Islamic Association’s #Uyghur language official imam manual: imams must advise the people to avoid weeping loudly and shedding tears at the cemetery. Why this instruction exposes CCP hypocrisy on “extremism”. A thread.
First, some background. The book, A Handbook for Imams of the New Era, was published in 2005 and republished at least once in 2009 by the China Islamic Association and #Xinjiang University Press. It was originally written in Chinese and translated into Uyghur.
Organized under the United Front, the China Islamic Association is the main gov't organ on matters dealing with Islam overseeing activities that “benefit religious harmony, ethnic unity…” and it “contributes to the great revitalization of the Zhonghua minzu (Chinese nation)."
Read 9 tweets
Jul 6, 2022
In celebration of HHDL's @DalaiLama's 87th birthday, here is a list of songs I've translated in which brave musicians in Tibet take serious risks making tribute to him Image
Read 11 tweets
May 24, 2022
The headshots are unnerving...very important collection indeed. but these are not the first photos inside detention/re-education centers w/o official authorization. I've made images public for several years now @ProjectXinjiang. ImageImageImageImage
Also need to be precise w/ terms. although detention centers 看守所 are part of the "re-education" process (and one facility for the three-types people 三类人员)--and some may pass through them before re-education or prison--they aren't "transformation through education" centers ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Read 5 tweets
Feb 8, 2022
Today, I'm shining @NBCOlympics #OlympicGames spotlight for the first time @shahitbiz on my friend Ekber Ebeydullah, who has been detained since 2016
I met Ekber in Beijing in 2010. He was studying at university after four years in the Xinjiang Class boarding school. He is extremely bright, fluent in four languages (Uyghur, Turkish, Chinese, and English).
After graduating, he went to Turkey for post-graduate studies. Upon returning home in 2016 for a relative's wedding, he was detained. A mutual friend told me the news summer 2017 in Urumchi. Like many others, his crime was being #Uyghur.
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(