Rustie Profile picture
Mar 1, 2022 8 tweets 6 min read Read on X
I'll do a map update on the Wellington #ConvoyNZ2022 occupation later this evening. Short answer is space wise nothing has changed.

Assorted observations from today's walk. For vibes.
One change on the Hill and Molesworth front: complete vehicle barriers now in place. Makes access difficult.

Are they for keeping people out, or keeping people in?
When you fail the roadside sobriety test:
This is new.
When you're in your van and you're having a normal one.
Seeing more of these tense small encounters between police and occupiers.

One of these dudes was trying to defuse the situation. One was not.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rustie

Rustie Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @rustie5555

Oct 12, 2022
Let me test my thinking so I can see where I'm going wrong:
- climate change is real
- climate change is bad
- it is caused by carbon and other emissions
- to prevent it getting worse, we need to reduce emissions
- NZ has agreed to emissions reductions targets in a multilateral international forum
- failure to meet those will result in negative diplomatic and trade consequences
- every unit emitted under that cap is one that can't be emitted elsewhere in the country
- agricultural methane emissions are receiving the equivalent of a 95% discount on permits to be responsible for those emissions
- every other sector of the economy and part of society is cross-subsidising those emissions
Read 6 tweets
Oct 12, 2022
Lmao. Imagine if we treated drivers who block footpaths and cycleways the same way we treated people who put a sign on the motorway.
"Can't you just drive around them?"
"It's fine, people hold signs there all the time at it never bothered anyone before".
Read 8 tweets
Oct 10, 2022
Lmao no Jesus Christ.

I barely knew my job existed when I applied for it, let alone as a kid.
If your kid is saying "mum I want to be an energy policy analyst when I grow up!" I mean, good for them, it's a great gig. But also maybe consider a child psychologist.
The closest I can get is: I did love building dams on the creek at the beach, but we don't get to build hydroelectric dams anymore, so grid financing is kinna close?
Read 4 tweets
Oct 9, 2022
Crazy idea, but maybe local elections are diverse and context-specific, and not just a referendum on the nationwide government??
For the record, I'm an not in the "everything is fine, trust Labour" camp. They are currently on track to damn near lose.

But there's a concerted effort to paint these results a certain way. It's not that simple.
And while I'm sub-tweeting: no, local partisan cleavages don't neatly map to nationwide ones.

That doesn't mean they don't exist. If you think can't-we-all-get-along consensus building is real, it's because you're on the side of the dominant status quo.
Read 9 tweets
Oct 9, 2022
I'll believe we're taking climate change seriously as a society when I stop getting YouTube ads for shit like this. Image
The cashed-up fuckers buying these places are going to make us bail them out, and we're really not ready to say "no, fuck you".
The tremendous irony is this was on a video about bicycle drivetrains.
Read 6 tweets
Oct 7, 2022
Okay Part 3 of this quixotic mission to understand the Wellington council elections: what could it mean for tomorrow's(!) results.

Quick reminder of the heuristic: voter preferences create "lanes", candidates try to fill one or more of them.
Again, this is all pretty impressionistic, not statistically backed or scientific.

I'm probably wrong, Local elections are weird. STV is unpredictable.

Very much open to corrections especially around categorisation, the real ferals hide their powerlevel, bios are vague).
Takapū-Northern

Starting up north, one of the more uncertain races, given only one of three incumbents is running (Condie).

Condie had to cobble together a lot of lower preferences last time, but probably gets in on name recognition, performance, and preference flow.
Read 56 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(