Jean Claude NIYOMUGABO Profile picture
Apr 4, 2022 10 tweets 5 min read Read on X
#FunFactsAboutGoats
Goats were one of the first animals to be tamed by humans and were being herded 9,000 #years ago.
Goat #meat is the most consumed meat per capita worldwide.
Goats can be taught their name and to come when called.
#Thread #youthtoag
1/9
Goats have a gestation period (pregnancy) of five months, and the average birth rate for goats is 2.2 kids per year.
Baby goats (kids) are standing and taking their first steps within minutes of being born.
2/9
Each kid has a unique call, and along with its scent, that is how its mother recognizes it from birth – not by sight.
Contrary to the dominant stereotype about goats being willing to eat anything, they are actually very picky eaters.
3/9
They have very sensitive lips, which they use to “mouth” things in search of clean and tasty food. They will often refuse to eat hay that has been walked on or that has been lying around loose for a day.
4/9
Goats are herd animals and will become depressed if kept without any goat companions. So, it is unhealthy for a goat if a family just owns one as a pet.
Goats, being mountain animals, are very good at climbing; they’ve been known to climb to the tops of trees or even dams!
5/9
Goats’ pupils (like many hooved animals) are rectangular. This gives them vision for 320 to 340 degrees (compared to humans with 160-210) around them without having to move and they are thought to have excellent night vision.
6/9
Goats are foragers, NOT grazers. It is actually unnatural to graze a goat and increases the likelihood of them picking up harmful parasites. In their natural habitat, they roam mountaintops and reach up as high as possible to pick out choice bits of forage around them.
7/9
Goats have four “stomachs.” Their food moves first into the rumen (from which it is periodically regurgitated for more “cud-chewing”), then to the reticulum, later to the omasum, and finally to the abomasum (which is most like a more sensitive human stomach).
8/9
Goats are burpers! This is due to the role of their rumen. The rumen, which is a mature goat holds four to five gallons of plant material, breaks down cellulose and acts as a fermentation vat.
9/9.
Source: Nigeria Livestock Online Market Place Facebook!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jean Claude NIYOMUGABO

Jean Claude NIYOMUGABO Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jcniyomugabo

Mar 28
POULTRY FARMERS!!
What are the major reasons why some poultry farmers do not make money from their poultry businesses?

Though I’m writing this post for poultry farmers, the content could be useful for every other area of agribusiness too.

Enjoy reading 👇👇

1. Most Poultry Farmers are Blind to their Market.

By this, I mean, they really don’t understand the market they are playing in.

It’s very common to see Africans wake up one day and think, “Since I have xxx amount of money, which business can I start?”

The next thing he does is go to the internet or speak with some friends. A few days after that, he read and heard from people that poultry, fishery, or pig farming could make him money. The next thing he/she does is start planning how to start a poultry farm.

Every successful entrepreneur knows that this is the wrong way to start a business.

Before you start any business, you have to spend quality time understanding the market you’re planning to sell to. In the case of the poultry business (which we’re using as a case study), you’ll have to consider what kinds of poultry products your target market loves and at what time of the year they prefer them.

This is what I mean. Are you planning to sell to a group of people who love to buy broilers, cockerels, or only eggs? Would they buy your broilers only during the festive period or always? How much are they willing to pay for the eggs, broilers, and cockerels? Plus, who are the competitors who are already selling poultry products for this market?

You get my idea. To have a successful business (poultry inclusive), an entrepreneur has to start with the end in mind. You have to take some time out, even before you start anything, to understand your target market and the forces of demand and supply.

This is what will give you a great insight into your market and how to play your game as an entrepreneur.
2. Not Seeing Poultry Farming as Business

I have seen so many people who are into animal husbandry as if they are “just farmers”. This mindset is common to most people who are “self-employed”. They usually think business is just about buying and selling. This is the major reason why I hate the concept of “self-employment” (I may write a detailed post on this soon).

Poultry farmers who approach their venture as “just” producing and selling eggs/chickens will not go far in the business. In whatever agribusiness you’re into, you must see yourself as an entrepreneur or else you’ll be just another “me-too”.

How do you go about that?

Take some time out to read good books about business. Read about marketing, branding, cash flow management and every other good thoughts and inspiration about business.

You’ll be smarter and successful.
Read 8 tweets
Jul 20, 2023
POULTRY FARMING: MAJOR REASONS WHY SOME POULTRY FARMERS DON'T MAKE MONEY FROM THEIR POULTRY BUSINESS

Though I’m writing this post for poultry farmers, the content could be useful for every other areas of the Agribusiness too.

Enjoy reading 👇👇

1. Most Poultry Farmers are Blind to their Market.

By this, I mean, they really don’t understand the market they are playing in.

It’s very common to see Africans waking up one day and think, “Since I have xxx amount of money, which business can I start?”

The next thing he does… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
3. Not Seeing Poultry Farming as Business

I have seen so many people who are into animal husbandry as if they are “just farmers”. This mindset is common to most people who are “self-employed”. They usually think business is just about buying and selling. This is the major reason… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Read 8 tweets
Jul 6, 2023
If you want to start poultry farming, this is for you.🥚🐣🐔🍗

👇👇

Broiler farming thread...

Firstly, you must construct a good house for your chickens. You need to know the size of the house you will need and how many chickens it can carry. The house should be secured so that no rats or birds can enter it.
Know the ratio of feeders and drinkers for your chickens. One feeder can feed 10 to 15 chickens, and 1 drinker can accommodate up to 20 chickens.
Read 7 tweets
Mar 14, 2023
As a passionate farmer and agriculture practitioner, I acknowledge the critical role of sustainability in agriculture.

It's more than just growing crops or raising livestock; it's about creating a system that works for the environment, economy, and society.
Adopting sustainable practices can help us reduce our impact on the environment, conserve natural resources, and ensure the long-term viability of our industry. Every step we take, from soil health to water conservation, makes a difference.
Sustainability isn't just about the environment. It's also about creating a resilient and thriving economy that benefits farmers, consumers, and the wider community. Sustainable agriculture can create jobs, support local businesses, and strengthen rural communities.
Read 10 tweets
Mar 14, 2023
"Did you know that growing tomatoes in Rwanda can be a profitable business venture?"

Let's dive into the 9 reasons why below!

Remember to read reason (3) and think about it.
1. "Tomatoes are in high demand in Rwanda and the surrounding region, making them a valuable crop to grow. They are used in a variety of dishes and are a staple in many diets."
2. Rwanda's climate is also ideal for growing tomatoes.

With plenty of sunlight and rainfall, tomato plants can thrive and produce high yields.
Read 11 tweets
Mar 12, 2023
Jean-Claude Niyomugabo had always dreamed of getting a higher education. He knew it was not going to be easy. Nevertheless, he worked hard, got good grades, and was determined to make his dream a reality.
One day, Jean Claude received a letter from a university far away from his home. It was an acceptance letter, and it was the best news he had ever received. However, it also meant leaving his family and everything he knew behind.
Jean Claude's family was proud of him, but they also had concerns. They worried about him being so far away and whether he would be able to cope on his own. They questioned him repeatedly, suggesting that he should stay close to home and attend a local university.
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(