Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II Profile picture
Apr 5, 2022 19 tweets 14 min read Read on X
Join us online now for the launch of the Harper’s Ferry-to-Martinsburg #MoralMarch on West Virginia!

WATCH LIVE:
We opened this morning in Harpers Ferry with a prayer from two local West Virginia faith leaders: “Creator, how grateful we are to stand here on holy ground. ... Together we ask for a new birth of freedom, a just share of the wealth of this land for all.”

(Photo: @stevepavey) Photo by Steve Pavey
Katrina Fernandez stood with us—and six of her children—today to say: “I’m concerned that my children are being poisoned by a factory that’s allowed to just let chemicals go in the air. ... We can’t take any more stuff in our bodies.” #PoorPeoplesCampaign

(Photos: @stevepavey) Katrina Fernandez and three...Image
Fr. Andy Switzer from St. Agnes Catholic Church in Shepherdstown, WV: “It’s easy for me to be with you today with Pope Francis @Pontifex who stands as a church that’s not afraid to take to the streets. … May this march today be a new beginning.” #MoralMarch

(Photo: @stevepavey) Fr. Andy Switzer from St. A...
Harpers Ferry, WV, is the birthplace of the @NAACP. George Rutherford, president of the @JC_WV_NAACP, joined us today to say: “Our legislators have turned their backs on us. But I hope your presence here today will really help us to move forward.”

(Photo: @stevepavey) George Rutherford, presiden...
Pam Garrison @WestVirginiaPPC: “If you read our #PandemicReport that came out yesterday, we were slaughtered! We were slaughtered to the Almighty Dollar! … We’re marching for justice!” #PoorPeoplesCampaign #MoralMarch

(Photo: @stevepavey) Pam Garrison with the West ...
My #PoorPeoplesCampaign co-chair, Rev. Dr. @liztheo: “It’s an honor to be here today on this sacred ground, where a movement has been growing for generations! Where people—Black and white and indigenous—have come together and said, ‘It doesn’t have to be this way!’” Rev. Dr. Liz Theoharis spea...
“What we know from Harpers Ferry is when 21 people—a multiracial delegation of people—rush in and start an uprising for change, that good things come from that! That powerful things come from that!” —Rev. Dr. @liztheo #PoorPeoplesCampaign #MoralMarch
In a very real sense, West Virginia today is our Selma. The nation needs to hear from West Virginia. That’s why we’re here this week, to draw attention to the injustices of the policy violence of Sen. Joe Manchin on this state and on the nation.

(Photo: @stevepavey) Rev. Dr. William J. Barber ...
We’re doing this #MoralMarch on West Virginia to draw the attention of the nation here. And on Saturday, June 18, in Washington, D.C., we want a mighty contingent of folks from the hood to the hollers of West Virginia to be there.

poorpeoplescampaign.org/june18?source=…
It’s wrong to do policies that rob people of their lives. The truth is we love @Sen_JoeManchin as a human being, but we despise his policies, because his policies are full of hate and meanness.
He voted to block living wages that would’ve lifted 310,000 West Virginians out of poverty. He blocked the #BuildBackBetter plan, which would’ve helped WV miners, the environment, families by providing paid medical leave, etc. That’s just mean.
We actually want @Sen_JoeManchin to be a great senator. We would like to see him be a consequential senator for righteousness. We would love to see him do what Sen. Byrd did and change and become a hero of the things he once fought!
We have a responsibility to tell @Sen_JoeManchin the truth: Your soul is at stake! Matthew 25 says you’re going to be judged, and all of that judgment doesn’t come when you die.
We’re here in West Virginia to say that the U.S. Chamber of Commerce can’t run this state. Even if they don’t change right now, we’re going to be the sign of change! Everything Manchin is blocking is eventually going to happen. Rev. Dr. William J. Barber ...
I don’t know if we will live to see the change come, but we are the sign that the change is coming and it’s not that far away, because folks are uniting from all across this country.

RSVP now for June 18 in Washington, D.C., & let us know you’ll be there: poorpeoplescampaign.org/june18?source=…
West Virginia is marching! Join us online every day this week starting at 10am ET / 7am PT for the Harpers Ferry-to-Martinsburg #MoralMarch on West Virginia: breachrepairers.org/livestream

(Photo: @stevepavey) Harpers Ferry-to-Martinsbur...
Photos by @stevepavey from Day 1 of the Harper Ferry-to-Martinsburg #MoralMarch on West Virginia #PoorPeoplesCampaign Photos by Steve Pavey from ...Photos by Steve Pavey from ...Photos by Steve Pavey from ...
🎶 Deep in my heart I do believe,
we’ll keep marching on today! 🎶

Day 1 of the Harpers Ferry-to-Martinsburg #MoralMarch on West Virginia is a wrap, but the @WestVirginiaPPC will be back out again tomorrow (Wednesday 4/6) at 10am ET to continue the march. #PoorPeoplesCampaign

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RevDrBarber

Apr 18
In a unified act of solidarity, @GovBillLee joined governors of the former slaveholding states Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Alabama to make a joint statement this week against the @UAW's efforts to unionize autoworkers in the South.
Calling the union a “special interest,” the governors claimed that unions threaten not only good jobs, but also the “values we live by.”

As a preacher from the South, I am tired of politicians trying to co-opt faith with talk about “values” when they do not have the facts to back up their claims.
The truth is that workers are building power in the South and politicians who’ve made immoral partnerships with corporate interests are feeling the heat.

It’s past time for all God’s people to stand up for living wages and union rights.
Read 11 tweets
Feb 25
We're in North Carolina with the @NC_PPC for the final tour stop on the Moral March to the Polls Tour. We are calling on state governments to enact a #ThirdReconstruction agenda, that’s not about left versus right politics, but about what’s right versus what’s wrong.
@NC_PPC In North Carolina, there are 3.5 million poor and low-wealth eligible voters. If we mobilize and organize together, we have the power to change voting outcomes in every election in our state.
@NC_PPC We cannot be silent while politicians prioritize corporate interests over the needs of the poor. From Asheville to Charlotte and Wilmington to Raleigh, we must demand change and fight for a North Carolina and a country that works for all.
Read 4 tweets
Nov 21, 2023
Last night, I lent my voice to a multi-faith vigil in front of the White House, calling for a ceasefire to stop the indiscriminate killing.

People from Jewish, Christian, and Muslim traditions around the world are coming together to cry for peace. 1/4
Some say cease-fire, some say a “cessation of hostilities,” some say humanitarian pause. Some just say, “Stop for the babies!” But the world is experiencing a kind of Pentecost as people cry out in different tongues with a unified call to end the violence. 2/4
We believe that every human being is created in the image of God. Both the Talmud and Islamic teaching say that to save a single life is to save all humanity, and Jesus extends the law of love for kin and neighbors, even to those who are our enemies. 3/4
Read 5 tweets
Nov 4, 2023
All over the world, I have seen & joined Muslims, Jews, Christians, & people of conscience nonviolently saying we must stop the killing, end the indiscriminate bombing, end the violence of apartheid, resist the lure of revenge, & study war no more.
After Oct 7, I saw many Jews, Muslims, & Christians denounce the violent terrorist acts of Hamas against innocent civilians, including women & children.
This week I’ve watched Jews, Muslims, & Christian stand together to call for a ceasefire, a humanitarian pause, or, in the language of one old church mother, “JUST STOP, STOP, STOP!”
Read 15 tweets
Oct 22, 2023
Poverty is a policy choice, reflecting low wages, the high costs of living and the unwillingness of politicians to act. 1/4
In Mississipi, there were 1.3 million poor and low-income people, accounting for 46% of the population. 2/4
A MS household w/ 2 adults and 2 children needs to earn over $21/hour. Yet the current minimum wage is a shameful $7.25/hour. That means a person must work 86 hours/week to afford a two bedroom apartment! 3/4
Read 4 tweets
Aug 27, 2023
We have hateful rhetoric coming out of the mouths of politicians in Florida from the highest levels every day. From the governor to the former president, it is hate against Black history, hate against wokeness, hate against trans people, hate against immigrants. 1/7
Words of hate create an ethos of hate, an atmosphere of hate, a political, social petri dish of hate and eventually spoken words become deeds. 2/7
The shooter first went to a historically Black university. 3/7
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(