Telegraph Business Profile picture
Jun 11, 2022 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Sir Richard Branson: I thought 'Christ, the whole lot is going to come crashing down'

In an exclusive interview, tycoon reveals pandemic brought his Virgin empire to its knees

#Thread👇
telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/…
🔴@richardbranson, until now, been reluctant to open up about the pandemic and how it was the most difficult time in his career.

It is well-documented that Virgin Atlantic, was taken to the brink of collapse.

But he now reveals that financial difficulties went much deeper 'I think we proved any critics wrong', says Sir Richard, as
🗣️“I'd spent 50 years building a business and I suddenly thought ‘Christ. Was it really worth that 50 years?’ It looked like the whole lot was going to come crashing down,” says Sir Richard Branson Sir Richard Branson
➡️“We were in the cruise business. In the airline business. In the fitness clubs business. In the hotels business.”

“I thought I'd been quite smart and diversifying everything. But I had to sell 85% of my shares in Virgin Galactic to keep everything on track” Sir Richard Branson
✈️Coming into the pandemic with more debt than its rivals, there was strong suspicion among many in the aviation industry that Virgin Atlantic would be one of Covid’s corporate casualties Virgin Atlantic flight  Credit: Anthony Upton/PA Wire
✍️“Too small to access the state aid provided to its larger rivals such as British Airways; and too big to access small company financial support,” writes @ojngill

“The airline was left floundering in a financial no-man’s land”
🗣️“On a purely selfish basis…I should have let Virgin Atlantic go on two or three occasions in my lifetime,” he explains, with the pandemic being one of them,” says Sir Branson Richard Branson
➡️ “But it was something that we felt, I felt, that the public would be very sad to see Virgin Atlantic go” Sir Richard Branson
🗣️“It was a horrible, horrible time. But from our point of view, Virgin has come out, if you look at it, our brand is now stronger than it was in 2019”

Read @ojngill’s interview with @richardbranson in full here

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Telegraph Business

Telegraph Business Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TeleBusiness

Jun 27, 2022
❓What Russia’s debt default means for the world

French and US lenders have the most to lose as default leaves Vladimir Putin humiliated

Thread 🧵⬇️
🔴Russia has defaulted on its foreign-currency sovereign debt after failing to make payments to creditors for the first time in a century.

Here are the implications for Russia and the world⬇️ Russian President Vladimir Putin meets with head of Federal
❓What is meant by a Russian ‘default’?

A sovereign debt default is when a country cannot or will not pay back its national debts, in what can be a major blow for future borrowing prospects A Russian one rouble coin is pictured in front of the Kremli
Read 9 tweets
May 18, 2022
The UK's inflation nightmare is just beginning

Inflation has hit 9%, the sharpest increase since the 1980s, and worse may be to come

Thread 🧵👇
🔴Consumer prices soared 9% in the year to April, the sharpest increase in the cost of living since Margaret Thatcher was in Number 10
📈The surge may prove to be the peak of Britain’s inflationary crisis, but there are signs elevated prices are here to stay – and could get worse A price sign on a fruit sta...
Read 11 tweets
Dec 31, 2021
💰Sources of unwanted goods have grown hugely thanks to global economic trends, and for a band of young entrepreneurs it has become very big business.

Even a box filled with 50,000 faulty breast implants can be a goldmine

Thread 🧵👇
telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer…
➡️In July 2021 Jack Lear founded Jobalots, which takes old stock off retailers’ hands but sells to small businesses, eBayers, market traders and charities.

Its turnover in 2022 will be £3m
📦His team of 45 processes 220,000lb of unwanted goods a week and has so far saved 3,000 tons from landfill.

Many are items that have been returned to retailers and are in perfect working condition
Read 8 tweets
Sep 29, 2021
🇺🇸❓Is the US going to run out of money?

⚠️Washington has just 19 days to reach a deal or face a government shutdown.

Thread ⬇️
telegraph.co.uk/business/0/us-…
🔴US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen revealed on Tuesday that, come October 18, she will exhaust her budgetary tricks keeping the lights on, as Congress is deadlocked by another impasse over raising the debt limit
💵Washington has, yet again, been hit by a debt ceiling standoff that runs the risk of a default on Treasuries, or US government debt…

⚠️The fiscal brinkmanship between the opposing Democrats and Republicans threatens to result in a government shutdown this week
Read 11 tweets
Mar 11, 2021
The switch to clean hydrogen energy is accelerating fast and heading for much lower costs than sceptics suppose…

So explains Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in his latest analysis (🔓 free to read until 3.30pm).

So what do you need to know?

Here's a #thread 👇 telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/… Image
First, change is underway.

The oil "super majors" are reinventing themselves for net-zero life, deploying their engineering and offshore know-how to lock carbon underground and unlock hydrogen above ground… Image
Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states are doing the same.

Abu Dhabi is already developing desert solar power for $1.35 per kWh.

This will be converted into hydrogen through electrolysis to make clean synthetic jet fuel.

It means carbon-free air travel is in sight… Image
Read 9 tweets
Feb 5, 2021
~ a #thread 👇

A startling estimate has caught the eye of economists: that London's population may have plunged by 700,000 during the pandemic.

What do we know and will it spell trouble for the city's economy?

@tomelleryrees takes a closer look telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/…
London's population has been hit by a double whammy: office work shifting online, and native and foreign-born workers moving out 👇

The WFH revolution has tempted employees out of the capital, with many seeking cheaper rents…
How damaging these shifts are for London's economy hinges on whether workers return or have left for good.

@BankofAmerica believes potential GDP growth would be cut to a meagre 0.2% – down from 0.5% in its base case scenario 👇
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(