Henry Madison Profile picture
Jul 13, 2022 13 tweets 6 min read Read on X
We need to talk about freedom I think. It's the lead weight in the Covid saddlebags. A🧵on why Daniel Defoe may be the weapon we need to fight those who won't fight Covid. /1 #auspol #covid19aus
Watching the UK leadership race reminded me of all the same core beliefs the current political class have used to also undermine Covid action. Every Tory lining up to replace Boris pledges to 'free' people from the tyranny of the State. /2
This is the core belief that has shaped our politics globally for over 50 years. That States and their regulations and taxes 'restrict freedom'. You need to challenge this core belief, because the slaves to this belief are easily replaced, if you only attack the person. /3
The neoliberal/libertarian framework says the default state of society is as a collection of free individuals. Governments and their laws then restrict this freedom, and must be either removed or gutted, to restore it. Very few go back to basics and challenge this core belief. /4
But Defoe had already done it for us, over 300 years ago. With Robinson Crusoe. Place a person outside the restrictions of society the libertarians so hate, and what happens? They have no freedom at all. Crusoe labours constantly to recreate the society he's lost. /5
It's exhausting, all-consuming work, never-ending. To have any sort of freedom to live at all, Crusoe has to reproduce all of the social things back at home, all by himself. The default state of human society IS the social relationships we have, including government. /6
The libertarians have it inside-out and back-to-front. To have any sort of freedom at all, you need to engineer an enormous number of social ties, regulations, processes. Without them Crusoe would have been dead inside a week. /7
Unsurprisingly, what makes us free is the economies of scale we get by working together with others, to free up any space at all for us to be individuals. Without that shared work, we're Crusoe, labouring all day to just survive. /8
It's amazing really that this even has to be said, and that the libertarian alternative of 'freedom' wasn't just a laughing stock from the moment it was invented. What libertarians mean by freedom is free-LOADING, off that social labour of others. /9
They want the luxury of individual choice without the collective work of creating it. But this isn't just about work, it's also about psychology. Many are surprised people don't choose to wear masks, in a pandemic, if it's left to their choice. /10
Defoe makes that easy to understand. Our default state is as social animals, not individuals. We will do what others do, we imitate others. Without a change being led into existence, people will do nothing and copy others doing nothing. Nobody wants to rock the boat. /11
Regulations, social rules, BRING freedom by allowing individuals to act in ways that go beyond the peer pressure of social imitation. Nobody has to make anybody else uncomfortable socially, they can all say 'hey, it's the law'. /12
Libertarians have a rat cunning I think and know this. It's why many of them don't actually believe removing tax and regulation means freedom for anybody much except themselves. It's just a useful propaganda tool to sell support for their freeloading. /end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Henry Madison

Henry Madison Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @RageSheen

May 17
Every day I come here and watch people struggling to find a ‘we’. So many pleading Tweets about horrible things, that nothing is being done about, as a community.

That to me is the key thing to understand, if we want change.

We need to talk much more about networks. /1 Diagram of a co-citation network for academic papers. Repeated in thread. From: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Co-citation-network-of-the-top-cited-references-The-node-size-indicates-the-number-of_fig2_356690261
This is a co-citation network diagram, capturing relationships between areas of study, in academic literature.

The node size indicates the number of connections a node has, and the edge thickness represents the frequency of co-occurrence. /2 Image
The color indicates articles belonging to the same community cluster (i.e., cited frequently together).

(Description and diagram are at: )/3 researchgate.net/figure/Co-cita…
Read 20 tweets
May 16
I’ve seen estimates that both in the US and Oz, people are getting Covid on average every 12 months.

This factoid is trotted out to counter those who say people are getting infected multiple times per year. Is this the flaw of averages at work? /1 Cartoon showing person drowning  in deep part of river with sign saying it has an average depth of only 3 feet. Repeated in thread.
Epidemiologically I guess this is all about incidence and prevalence. Should we be using the average here, is it saying anything useful?

As the cartoon says, you don’t want to know the average depth of water if you can’t swim. /2 Image
SARS2 has a low dispersion constant i.e. a small proportion of people do most of the infecting.

Given that, you would expect Covid will infect some people a lot more than others. Those in locations where superspreading is more likely. /3
Read 6 tweets
May 14
I wince at the memory of the certainties of teen and early adult life, and how forcefully they were sometimes presented to others.

That’s part of being young. It brings energy to a society. And sometimes necessary disruption.

But something has changed. /1
Because that’s now all adult life. We no longer think, we line up behind positions, in teams.

It’s often so subtle we don’t even notice ourselves doing it. And the cold-eyed, often vicious zealous certainty it produces is poison to civil and civic society. /2
Social media obviously didn’t invent this zealous team sports. But it’s provided the mechanism to drive it deep into adult life.

It’s an accelerant. Petrol on a democratic fire. /3
Read 9 tweets
May 13
The genius of this show goes well beyond anybody’s issues with Jeremy Clarkson. It’s a brilliant window into the limits of libertarian life, but also and at the same time its more regulated alternative.

It’s a perpetual stalemate. Driven by forces that transcend both. /1 Image
You come away from this show wondering how we all ever get food on our tables every day.

Nobody anywhere in the world can make money, farming. That industry is dead. But we’re not even close to implementing an alternative. /2
And what does that impossibility mean? Maybe it means that the team sports of our political views and our economic politics are not reaching the realities that sustain us.

Our landscapes and the food we get from them. /3
Read 12 tweets
May 11
Political libertarianism has quite a foothold in Australia. Thanks to @ColinKinner for the tip-off on this one.

This set of ideas is toxic to civilisation itself. And also laughably illogical and self-contradictory. These ideas must be opposed. /1 Statement about the group Australians for Science & Freedom, describing Covid action as social coercion.
Libertarianism creates a binary between individual and collective action that simply doesn’t exist.

Those aren’t two separate things. It’s only by acting collectively, that we have individual freedom. /2
In everything we do *individually*, we’re acting collectively, at the same time. Even the language we use is a collective tool, that we shape individually.

People who oppose individual freedom and collective action are usually aiming to just replace existing hierarchies. /3
Read 10 tweets
May 10
We so desperately needed expertise on human social behaviour to beat Covid. Instead we used graphs.

An example from this week. Person at work about to go OS on holiday for 2 weeks. Very excited. /1
Then a member of their team came to work, sick. You could see the immediate tension in the room.

The fear that this might compromise the trip, if passed on. /2
‘I’ll KILL you if you make me sick!’ was the phrase, said jokingly but with real anxious bite too.

So I offered them a mask. /3
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(