Sarah Unsicker Profile picture
Sep 5, 2022 18 tweets 7 min read Read on X
Alright, time for another thread. I've been posting about #Missouri law, but this is related to the #USA, who is the only country that has not ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. ohchr.org/en/instruments…
Who could disagree with this?
Here's Article 2:
(see link above)
One would hope.
So ... no trafficking? 🤔
So, who would oppose ratifying this? This organization is one of them. Wish they listed their leadership on the website. hsldaaction.org

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sarah Unsicker

Sarah Unsicker Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @SarahUnsicker

Mar 9
Missouri's Attorney General has done quite a few things this week. I want to praise him for an action that he has taken against the Sheriff of Ray County, temporarily removing him from office.

I haven't seen @AGAndrewBailey brag about this. He should.🧵ago.mo.gov/attorney-gener…
You may remember the Ray County sheriff from a "Poor" audit done last year, which showed "inadequate controls" in the Sheriff's office in which they didn't pay bills on time or keep proper records. auditor.mo.gov/AuditReport/Ci…
When I spoke with Ray County Democrats last year, I heard numerous citizen concerns with the Sheriff's Office. The past one had been problematic, but they said the one they had when I visited in October was worse.
Read 6 tweets
Feb 18
Societal failures.
Infrastructure isn't just roads and bridges, but also basic maintenance.
Our lack of government services is killing people.
I wasn't joking when I said 6" potholes. If anything, it was an understatement.

I've been to northwest Missouri, where Jess lives. It's rural. It's sparsely populated. And you need 4wd to drive on public roads.
It's not just sparsely-populated areas, either. This is in the City of St. Louis.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 18, 2023
Thank you, @JesseBogan and @stltoday , for this article highlighting the struggle this family has gone through because of failures in our social services. This has been going on for a long time. stltoday.com/news/local/cri…
I wasn't aware of this particular family's situation when I inquired of Children's Division two weeks ago about what we, as a state, are doing to reduce trauma.

sg001-harmony.sliq.net/00325/Harmony/…
Unfortunately, the Director of Children's Division pointed to mental health disorders rather than addressing issues of trauma.

The article points to the child's trauma and overmedication while in foster care as the source of some of his issues.

Read 4 tweets
Nov 26, 2023
Here's a quick and mindless research project -

The Department of Social Services has posted its budget proposal online for the next fiscal year. The document itself is 3,189 pages.

Can someone please break this up into manageable chunks? oa.mo.gov/sites/default/…
If someone would put it up in a public folder, then it could be accessed without crashing computers. I usually use Google Drive for this, but whatever works.
Also, if people are willing, here's the full 2025 department budget requests list. Budget hearings will be starting soon and we need to be asking relevant questions. oa.mo.gov/budget-plannin…
Read 4 tweets
Nov 16, 2023
I'm sitting on a Zoom this morning about ethics in politics, and an observation was made (specifically related to Trump) that the public does not seem concerned that their politicians are ethical.

That seems a valid concern, and I have a suggestion as to what YOU can do:
Citizens need to share what they expect of their leaders. If high moral standards are important to you, communicate that.

Write letters to the newspaper.
Post on social media, podcasts, and blogs.
Tell leaders, don't assume it.
Talk about it as a thing.
So many Americans have given up on having high standards for politicians. And not just Americans - this is a world-wide issue.

People have given up on the thought that politicians can put public interest above their own interest.
Read 12 tweets
Nov 14, 2023
The 2024 election cycle is shaping up to be very different from previous election cycles, and this should be encouraging for anyone who is in favor of a well-run society. A 🧵.
Yesterday, treason charges were brought.
In Ukraine.
Including allegations of Russian interference with the US elections.
ssu.gov.ua/novyny/za-mate…
Russian military intelligence formed a criminal organization to "destabilize the socio-political situation in Ukraine."
The criminal organization allegedly received more than $10 million from Russia.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(